Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 459 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
That is wonderful or horrible, depending whether you have one or not. Ordering mine tomorrow. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
This is what I found after 3K miles. If you don't have one, get one, IMHO:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
For the uninformed... what exactly is a catch can, where's it go and whats it catching... oil? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
LPW Void???

Does a catch can void The Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
For the uninformed... what exactly is a catch can, where's it go and whats it catching... oil? :dunno:

A quality catch can will catch most of the Oil running through the PCV system. Other wise on the Modern hemi the oil will tend to flow down the intake runners and into the combustion chamber. Not alot,But some. And some more then others. Why?? I dont really know..But

When that happens the oil will effect the octane rating therefor hindering performance. Diablosport has done some testing verifying this theory.

You can also check out a SRT engineers comment in the link below.

Hope this helps.. Thanks

See post 117.. Thanks
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showth...=222592&page=8

·
Registered
585 Posts
slow to come around but now have made the step and it all makes sense. So one last question. If the vaporized oil come up from the Positve Crankcase Ventilator than this misted oil is caught and separated by the Catch Can then feasibly this oil is as clean as whats in the oil pan and could be reintroduced, yes? no? Say one was on a extended road trip and drained said Catch Can, being the environmentalist type and didnt want to leave it on the parking lot suface. Back to the pan or find a suitable waste container? thoughts?

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
slow to come around but now have made the step and it all makes sense. So one last question. If the vaporized oil come up from the Positve Crankcase Ventilator than this misted oil is caught and separated by the Catch Can then feasibly this oil is as clean as whats in the oil pan and could be reintroduced, yes? no? Say one was on a extended road trip and drained said Catch Can, being the environmentalist type and didnt want to leave it on the parking lot suface. Back to the pan or find a suitable waste container? thoughts?
Well IMO that depends. Depending on where you live in the cooler months condensation will build up in a catch can . And you can see the water oil mix.

That being said I personally dont want the water in my oil.. Is it enough water to hurt?? Who knows but I dont want to find out..:bigthumb:

·
Registered
585 Posts
well, that's full circle. It would seem if you drive under normal conditions and the oil in the pan is up to date, the oil in the CC would be a sample of it. If the CC oil looks funky you probably need an oil change. I can understand some not wanting to put in back but I tend to think it should be exactly whats in the sump. Just thought I'd see what we think collectively.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I sent a sample from my can to Blackstone Labs for analysis and had I not told them where it came from they would have thought it to be from the crankcase. They found nothing out of the ordinary viscosity wise, contaminant wise, fuel or H2O. Could it go back in ? Yes per that testing. No thanks by me.

·
Super Moderator
13,332 Posts
Here is the exact quote from the SRT engineers on the Catch Can issue:

"A catch can will collect oil vapor that is being recirculated to the engine. Generally speaking that is a good thing. It keeps the intake manifold clean and as stated earlier can increase the engine's tolerance to knock."

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
The larger question for me is: Why does the car not have this feature from the factory? The Hemi is not new technology.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I will say that while I see nothing wrong with pouring it back in the pan, I generally dump mine if I am at home. If I am away and it needs emptying, I will pour it back. I can see where vaporizing and condensing the oil mat affect it, it's only a few ounces out of 7 quarts. I can say that it definitely looks a lot worse than what's on the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I will say that while I see nothing wrong with pouring it back in the pan, I generally dump mine if I am at home. If I am away and it needs emptying, I will pour it back. I can see where vaporizing and condensing the oil mat affect it, it's only a few ounces out of 7 quarts. I can say that it definitely looks a lot worse than what's on the dipstick.
To each his own Amigo, however the directions from 99.9%of CC manufacturers DO NOT recommend putting the collected oil back in the pan.
After 4000 miles my can was only 1/3 full, and that's not much I guess, so I'm convinced the engine wont miss it. I can always add a little fresh oil should the dip stick show some missing.

Either way better in the can than through the cars internals IMHO.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
A catch can is a small device, usually metal, designed to start raging battles on most any internet forum :)

Or its a device designed to catch oil from being recirculated into the intake manifold. I here is something I wrote several months ago on what they do.

1 - 20 of 459 Posts
About this Discussion
458 Replies
181 Participants
Rob446
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing