Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got into a debate with co-worker and he is convinced that I should put an aftermarket exhaust on my SRT for all that sound, powar, AND mpg. I was like, come again?

This true?

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
Doubtful its even a noticable amount, if any at all. Dodge left very little to improve on from an efficientcy standpoint. They also try very hard to maximize mpg on the already gas guzzling taxed models.
Sound however out of the factory set up, can leave a bit to be desired.

Reactions: Solidman

·
Registered
262 Posts
Whatever MPG gains are lost when you enjoy the V8 noises so much that you end up mashing the pedal more often.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,341 Posts
I think the SRT base with auto trans still has MDS? If anything swapping the cat back could cause a loss in MPG. Don't forget the stock exhaust is 2.75" and uses shorties so it's plenty open as it is, doubt going to aftermarket will improve anything but noise (and maybe not in a good way). On my JGC, the stock cat back has bimetal flaps that assist MDS and there are guys on the jeep forum that installed aftermarket exhaust only to have annoying MDS related noises, vibrations and slight loss in MPG. If you want power gains then going with long tube headers (improves scavenging) instead of a cat back system would be money better spent.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,739 Posts
Got into a debate with co-worker and he is convinced that I should put an aftermarket exhaust on my SRT for all that sound, powar, AND mpg. I was like, come again?

This true?
Like my co-workers. But I do not take advice regarding my cars from them.

An aftermarket exhaust can deliver more sound. Whether it is an improvement over the stock exhaust sound can't say. I know it is not uncommon after someone installs an aftermarket exhaust to mention annoying drone.

For an aftermarket exhaust to produce more power it would have to flow better than the stock exhaust. To get say the 392cid engine to produce 485hp suggests the exhaust (and intake and other systems) is (are) pretty darn good as they come from the factory.

More power and yet better gas mileage? The aftermarket exhaust could provide better gas mileage, I suppose, because your wallet is lighter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, this aligns with my vague suspicions but you've provided much more detail. 2017 SRT indeed has MDS and an active exhaust. I don't hear any squeaking on the valves opening and closing and the car sounds good to me as/is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO the SRT exhaust sounds BA as-is! Way better than the pre-2017 5.7 exhaust which I am glad FCA finally improved.
Yeah, especially that initial loud rawr on cold start. I feel like I wake up my neighborhood a little when I leave for work in the morning :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is fun when you have some legit car people colleagues though. At work, multiple guys have modded cars with 700 and up WHP.

One sadly sold his Challenger HC WB due to constant traffic fines of around $1500 a month. We got automated speed cams here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts