Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a guy tonight that said he waxes the chrome clads on his Ram. Has anybody done this?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've done this polishing of the 20" clads with Maguires clearcoat in the purple bottle - very safe and low cut. Works like a charm and removes any film built-up from tire shine products or water spots/brake deposits. I had terrible hazing on my rims and thought at one point the chrome was going south after 2 years - wrong. Buffed them out and they looked better than new.

Rinse them off first then dry and use an old cut up tee shirt for no scratch shine. Gently rub it down until splotching/hazing/crud is gone (becomes very smooth to the touch) in sections and buff it off. Lasts all year and makes future washing/cleaning with just plain water a breeze.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright I'll have to try that

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I typically use a sealant on all my vehicle's wheels. FK1000P is one of my favorites simply due to its durability and ability to shed contaminants easily. For something quick to apply, I like Optimum Opti-Seal. ....or Duragloss Aquawax. Although I have their newly released (to the public) permanent coating that I still have yet to try and thought the wheels would be a perfect application (Opti-Coat).

Simply using your own favorite wax/sealant will typically help make your wheels easier to clean. However, if you tend to use a "wheel cleaner" often, just be aware that most products will be compromised (and will need to be reapplied). 99% of the time I simply need a regular car wash solution and a little agitation to get them clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts