Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giggity, giggity.

But seriously, my dipstick is always really difficult to get out. Like it is stuck around the top by the handle. I feel like one day I'm going to break the handle off getting it out. I've never had this issue on a vehicle before. Is there something I should be doing? Different handle? Lubing it somehow? OK, let's see those comments.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't had it happen on my Challenger yet, but I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee where it got worse until the handle broke. I noticed my 2014 Grand Cherokee starting to get a bit stubborn to get loose. All vehicles have Hemi engines, and the top of the dipsticks are similar. Lubing the top with motor oil hasn't seemed to help. Hoping it doesn't start happening with the Challenger.

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts
So my 11 rt with over 100k dipstick broke off at the lube shop. They replaced it free of charge.

If I were coming across this forum and read that they break after becoming stubborn. I would buy another one just to have on stand by.

I had to buy a harbor freight blow torch and screw in a dry wall screw to get the old one out. Thanks YouTube.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,106 Posts
I wonder if changing the handle to like a billet handle would solve the problem?

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,703 Posts
I ripped my plastic handle off at 30k miles (too strong maybe?). Replaced it with a BT handle which should hold up as long as I own the car plus looks 1000x better! View attachment 1007895
I have a red one exactly like that and it is still a B* to get out. I thought about just putting it in when I go for oil changes and just leaving it out but, then I would still want something to cap the tube with anyway so.......

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,429 Posts
So my 11 rt with over 100k dipstick broke off at the lube shop. They replaced it free of charge.

If I were coming across this forum and read that they break after becoming stubborn. I would buy another one just to have on stand by.

I had to buy a harbor freight blow torch and screw in a dry wall screw to get the old one out. Thanks YouTube.
Hellcat dipstick seemed to require more effort to remove than I remember early on.

Just so happens a few months ago I bought a spare dipstick for my Hellcat. Not because of the increasing effort and any concern for the orignal dipstick but to get the dipstick to accurately reflect the oil level. To do this the new dipstick needs a different (length) dipstick tube. While the new dipstick fits in the original tube the level is wrong. The new tube has a different length which when used with the new dipstick will have the level correct provided of course the required 7 quarts of oil is in the engine. The correct tube for the new dipstick was marked out of stock so I decided to wait a month or two before ordering one. Then a few weeks ago I traded in the Hellcat and forgot all about the dipstick in a storage closet here.

The force required to remove the dipstick in my new Scat Pack seems "normal". When I have my Scat Pack in for its first oil/filter service -- soon -- I'll order a spare dipstick.

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
Make sure there is a film of oil on the handle o-ring and check the oil more often.;)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,317 Posts
Try putting it in 180* out next time. I promise it won't affect the firing order.

Mine is in backwards and works much better that way.

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts
Hellcat dipstick seemed to require more effort to remove than I remember early on.

Just so happens a few months ago I bought a spare dipstick for my Hellcat. Not because of the increasing effort and any concern for the orignal dipstick but to get the dipstick to accurately reflect the oil level. To do this the new dipstick needs a different (length) dipstick tube. While the new dipstick fits in the original tube the level is wrong. The new tube has a different length which when used with the new dipstick will have the level correct provided of course the required 7 quarts of oil is in the engine. The correct tube for the new dipstick was marked out of stock so I decided to wait a month or two before ordering one. Then a few weeks ago I traded in the Hellcat and forgot all about the dipstick in a storage closet here.

The force required to remove the dipstick in my new Scat Pack seems "normal". When I have my Scat Pack in for its first oil/filter service -- soon -- I'll order a spare dipstick.
What a chore. I feel like it’s been made too difficult. The sticks should be interchangeable for the same model different parts for different engines of course.

I guess you could always go with the auto parts universal where you add in the oil and trim the wire stick at the top once you get it to the full level and then screw on the pull handle.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
I give it a twist before pulling, and when I wipe, I wipe the handle/o-ring each time. I typically check oil every other fillup, as long as weather doesn't majorly suck. I think that is the trick, use it or lose it.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I don't think all dip sticks are made of the same tolerances. My original dip stick on my 2016 was a bear to pull out. The inevitable happened. Dip stick number 2 is as smooth as glass.

·
Premium Member
10,522 Posts
Giggity, giggity.

But seriously, my dipstick is always really difficult to get out. Like it is stuck around the top by the handle. I feel like one day I'm going to break the handle off getting it out. I've never had this issue on a vehicle before. Is there something I should be doing? Different handle? Lubing it somehow? OK, let's see those comments.
I’ve never removed mine. I put such little mileage that I can’t possibly ever be low if I drain the oil and add the 7 qts on refill.
If there is an o-ring put a little lubricant on it do it doesn’t fuse itself to the tube.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just checked mine, as I'm getting ready for a 320+ mile round trip tomorrow. No tension or resistance and came out with no resistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts