Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In-transit damage from rail and carrier damage is reported to FCA from what I have been able to find on the interwebs (if I'm correct). Besides a visual inspection of a car upon delivery which I will do, and short of asking straight out if there is damage, is there a system report a dealer can access to prove a car was not damaged in-transit? I don't believe a dealer is required to tell you shiitaki if it's damaged on their lot unless it is damaged over a certain $$ amount.

Just looking for ways to keep things above board and not getting a car that's had a rear bumper or something like that painted over.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Hi all,

I don't believe a dealer is required to tell you shiitaki if it's damaged on their lot unless it is damaged over a certain $$ amount.
That's exactly what I've been told how it works in the past.

Reactions: champ198

·
Registered
16,214 Posts
Go to your dealer and request an updated POC. This will show the car's current status and could show if the normal shipment gets sent off somewhere for repair. You could get an update every few days.

Also tell the dealer to remove nothing from the car and look at the shipping order and see if it got sent somewhere offline.

Don't think you'll get far with any paperwork from FCA or the dealer and state law sets the disclosure requirements.

Obviously your inspection will have to be a good one and many skimp on this. You need a bright sunny clear day to do it right and the test drive up to and a little above highway speeds needs to be done. If the weather is bad, let the car sit until it clears. Don't let them rush you and tell them to leave you alone until you're finished, then go inside to start the purchase process. If anything is wrong with the car, make them fix it before you sign anything or reconsider your options.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,417 Posts
Sidd pretty much nailed it. Do you know what was damaged & how? a nick from the front splitter thats an easy fix..or the car fell off the rail car & rolled twice? (later is a joke)
Bring a small flashlight and perhaps a small telascoping mechanics mirror with you at time of delivery. Look everywhere and at as many angles as possible for things that should not be.
Bring a note pad, write down anything of concern as you find them, address them all. If the car is an absolute mess &/or your faith in the dealership to make it right is not really firm. refuse delivery. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife has worked as an accountant at a well known dealership. I personally know of 2 situations where significant damage happened during transit and another while on the lot. Both vehicles sold as brand new with no record whatsoever of any damage or repair since the dealership owns a body shop as well as 16 other dealerships. It is 100% up to the buyer to look over everything even when dealing with brand new cars.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
As everyone else has mentioned above me. Take as long as you need to and inspect the car thoroughly. Take a buddy/family member with you as well for an extra set of eyes.

If anything looks out of the ordinary, refuse delivery and either have them give you back your deposit or have them order you a new car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Back when I worked at the Dodge dealer (20 years ago) we sold a couple roof panels to the body shop for Ram pickups that weren't tied down properly. That's kind of a big repair. So it does happen, FCA or the carrier's insurance eats it, and the buyer never knows.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I worked at a large dealer for five years. Dealerships have an internal program that accounts for every penny they spend on a vehicle before it's sold. I forget what it's called. But the point is you can insist they pull up your car's stock number on the computer and show your their expenditures on it. They will not want to do this because you may see how little they spent on all those add ons like window tint, that they're going to hit you up big bucks for but it also shows any lot damage or damage from the carrier that they fixed. When I bought a new truck from the dealer I worked at I looked it up and found that the front plastic air dam (splitter) was damaged. In that case, not a problem since it was a simple replacement they did and didn't affect anything else. Another vehicle I bought had something fall against the quarter panel and put a dent in it and broke the quarter glass before it was sold. Glass was replaced and panel had paintless dent repair done. Unfortunately it was a lazy PDR tech who punched a hole through the door jamb area on the quarter panel to access the dent then glued a plug in the hole. A good PDR guy would have detrimmed instead of punching holes. But that's the kind of stuff you find out.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My Hellcat had the dust shields in front of the rear wheels damaged. Lucky for me when I got the car home I put it on my lift in the garage. Don't know if a dealer will put it on a lift for you but it is a area that should be checked over. The shields were about $100 for the two of them that the check in guy said his department would have to eat. not sure why

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update: I have been calling my dealer week after week and been getting "the car is here" or "the car is on its way to there". I called today. Where is the car? We'll check and call you back. I have a friend who has connections at another Dodge dealer. Gave him the VIN to look up POC. Vehicle is in the paint shop from hood damage in transit.

So, armed with this info, I'll most likely cancel the deal. I know stuff happens, I don't want it even though they can make it look good as new.

Reactions: T240guy

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
EDITED POST:

Tell your friend he's buying the next round of drinks for that stunt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
OK, I'm embarrassed to say this. My buddy was messing with me. He said they looked up the POC, car is loaded on car hauler from rail yard with delivery on Friday. He says its fine. No issues. I could kill him. He sent me a text and 5 min later saying he was messing with me. Just wish I could get this level of detail from my sales person.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey... What are friends for? Glad to hear all is well. Post some pics once you get her home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Just wish I could get this level of detail from my sales person.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
A salesman care!?! Now THAT'S funny. My local Dodge dealer lost my last two purchases (2016 & 2018) because they didn't care what I asked. Went back to buying 150 miles away in Phoenix and now, daily searching Phoenix dealers web sites for my next Challenger. I don't tolerate salesman well either.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
A salesman care!?! Now THAT'S funny.
When I ordered my Wrangler, from a dealer 2 hours away from me, as my local dealer was just plain lazy, and wouldn't order my jeep, I was set up with a newer salesman. From when I arrived and looked at Wranglers on the lot, until we sat down to confirm my order, I was explaining to him all the various differences between the models, he was writing in a note pad. I asked him what he was writing down? He told me he was writing everything down that I was telling him, so he could do his job better. That kind of threw me for a loop. He let me know that a fair amount of the info I had told him, was not in the literature he was given on them.

After he sent in the order, I asked him to do a few things for me. No dealer stickers or decals on the vehicle. If he could, get pictures of it on the truck. 6 weeks later he followed through. I took delivery with no stickers on it and he sent some video of it after it arrived, as he wasn't there when the truck came in.

I know he doesn't fit the mold for 99% of all car salesman out there, but he sure busted his butt to make a sale with me.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
When I ordered my Wrangler, from a dealer 2 hours away from me, as my local dealer was just plain lazy, and wouldn't order my jeep, I was set up with a newer salesman. From when I arrived and looked at Wranglers on the lot, until we sat down to confirm my order, I was explaining to him all the various differences between the models, he was writing in a note pad. I asked him what he was writing down? He told me he was writing everything down that I was telling him, so he could do his job better. That kind of threw me for a loop. He let me know that a fair amount of the info I had told him, was not in the literature he was given on them.

After he sent in the order, I asked him to do a few things for me. No dealer stickers or decals on the vehicle. If he could, get pictures of it on the truck. 6 weeks later he followed through. I took delivery with no stickers on it and he sent some video of it after it arrived, as he wasn't there when the truck came in.
No telling what you get with a salesman although I've found the not as bad ones are found by emailing off the web site and getting an internet salesman. But if all they ask is "how much do you want to pay a month" or tells you how many cup holders it has, walk away. I had one guy at my local dealer a few years ago who didn't know anything about the Challenger and admitted it. He told me he was a refrigerator salesman and just got hired at the dealership (here's your sign). I still remember a salesman back in the 1980s when I was looking at a turbo Trans Am. He pops the hood after the test drive and tells me that the turbo gets real hot. He then proceeds to snort up a wad and literally spits on the turbo to prove how hot it was. That was Las Vegas, the most classless town I was ever stationed at. Yep, no sale. I did buy a couple Challengers here when I had a good salesman for a few years. I'd find they had what I wanted then email him for a quote. He'd shoot back a quote with all the discounts. I'd tell him I'll be by after work and there it sat ready to go. He knew I didn't want any add ons and knew I don't tolerate repeated questions about an extended warranty from the finance guy so he would be briefed that no means no. At their bi-monthly car shows he'd come out and chat, no sales pitches in fact he'd ask if I wanted to take anything for a ride knowing I'm not buying. He's gone off to Volvo though. The 2016 Challenger I tried to buy from another salesman there promised me he would not let them put on any preloads (add ons) when it got delivered there. They did, so I went to Scottsdale 150 miles away and got the exact same car, in fact sequential VINs with the one here, that they just got in and saved a bunch to boot. Tried here again in 2018 and got a runaround so I went back to Scottsdale. I've bought seven FCA vehicles since 2010. Three here and four up in Phoenix area. My next 2020 or 2021 will be up there too.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
No telling what you get with a salesman although I've found the not as bad ones are found by emailing off the web site and getting an internet salesman. But if all they ask is "how much do you want to pay a month" or tells you how many cup holders it has, walk away. I had one guy at my local dealer a few years ago who didn't know anything about the Challenger and admitted it. He told me he was a refrigerator salesman and just got hired at the dealership (here's your sign). I still remember a salesman back in the 1980s when I was looking at a turbo Trans Am. He pops the hood after the test drive and tells me that the turbo gets real hot. He then proceeds to snort up a wad and literally spits on the turbo to prove how hot it was. That was Las Vegas, the most classless town I was ever stationed at. Yep, no sale. I did buy a couple Challengers here when I had a good salesman for a few years. I'd find they had what I wanted then email him for a quote. He'd shoot back a quote with all the discounts. I'd tell him I'll be by after work and there it sat ready to go. He knew I didn't want any add ons and knew I don't tolerate repeated questions about an extended warranty from the finance guy so he would be briefed that no means no. At their bi-monthly car shows he'd come out and chat, no sales pitches in fact he'd ask if I wanted to take anything for a ride knowing I'm not buying. He's gone off to Volvo though. The 2016 Challenger I tried to buy from another salesman there promised me he would not let them put on any preloads (add ons) when it got delivered there. They did, so I went to Scottsdale 150 miles away and got the exact same car, in fact sequential VINs with the one here, that they just got in and saved a bunch to boot. Tried here again in 2018 and got a runaround so I went back to Scottsdale. I've bought seven FCA vehicles since 2010. Three here and four up in Phoenix area. My next 2020 or 2021 will be up there too.
I agree with you on the internet guys. The dealers that don't reply or reply with stupid comments are the ones to avoid. My current vehicle was bought VIA the internet guy. I shot off an email about a vehicle and it's availability. 10 minutes later, a reply back. I asked for an OTD price. A hour later I had a manager signed OTD price, with breakdowns, emailed to me. Told him I'd pick it up tomorrow, if that was good for him.

I arrived at the dealer an hour before my appt. Another guy pulled the car around to inspect and take it for a test drive. While I was out, dealer called my sales guy into work and was out front waiting by the time I got back. Now that's service!

Go into the finance office and they try to sell me some off brand extended warranty. I told him no and that I wanted the 8yr/60k Mopar extended warranty. He didn't try to to push anything else on me or try to upsell after that. Another plus in my book! If I stay in the states, and I buy another FCA vehicle in the future, they'll get first crack on trying to sell me another vehicle.

Reactions: mjb4450

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
I agree with you on the internet guys. The dealers that don't reply or reply with stupid comments are the ones to avoid. My current vehicle was bought VIA the internet guy. I shot off an email about a vehicle and it's availability. 10 minutes later, a reply back. I asked for an OTD price. A hour later I had a manager signed OTD price, with breakdowns, emailed to me. Told him I'd pick it up tomorrow, if that was good for him.

I arrived at the dealer an hour before my appt. Another guy pulled the car around to inspect and take it for a test drive. While I was out, dealer called my sales guy into work and was out front waiting by the time I got back. Now that's service!

Go into the finance office and they try to sell me some off brand extended warranty. I told him no and that I wanted the 8yr/60k Mopar extended warranty. He didn't try to to push anything else on me or try to upsell after that. Another plus in my book! If I stay in the states, and I buy another FCA vehicle in the future, they'll get first crack on trying to sell me another vehicle.
That's how it should be. I've gone to this one particular dealer in Scottsdale three times in a row now. Their sales process was nothing to rave about but I kept going back for two things, first no preloads other than window tint which is kind of required here, and second they have one particular finance guy who takes no for an answer the first time when he asks about warranties and I'm literally in and out of finance in 15 minutes. It sends me over the edge when a finance guy will continually ask and re-explain all the plans then lie about the factory not covering certain things and then wants me to explain myself as to why I don't want their grotesquely overpriced warranty. The one time I bought an extended warranty was when I actually kept a car beyond the factory warranty. I called Luke at Steve White Motors when the factory warranty was about to expire and got an excellent deal. And when I did trade that vehicle in, this finance guy promptly cancelled the remainder of the extended warranty so I could get the prorated refund. I've had other dealers tell me that can't be done or they don't know how to do it. That's because they want to sell your leftover warranty to the second owner when they sell the car.

·
Premium Member
10,366 Posts
Look it over well, don’t make yourself crazy, then enjoy the car. There’s a point to where you’re being over the top.

I know he doesn't fit the mold for 99% of all car salesman out there, but he sure busted his butt to make a sale with me.
I’ve had salesman like that and I’ve given between a $50 and $100 tip based on what they did. They really appreciated it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts