Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what are you using ? The reason I'm using a brush is for the roof and such. But I'm trying to get the nicest one I can.. But not drop a bunch of money for one. Any Recomendations ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I don't know about brushes....

....might leave scratches. I use a microfiber covered sponge.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I have a black car, I use a brush.

No problems, just use plenty of water and don't work the brush too hard. It's job is not to scrub, but to lightly remove dirt aided by plenty of bubbly water goodness.

I just bought mine from Wally World, had it for 10 years now.

ANYTHING (sponge, microfibre covered sponge, brush, Hooters Bikini top) that is used to wash your car has the potential to cause swirls, etc. You just need to not be too heavy handed, and keep rinsing it to stop dirt being trapped in it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hey you will get lots of opinions, but if you want to maintain a better than showroom finish NEVER use a brush on your paint ! JMO

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If so, what are you using ? The reason I'm using a brush is for the roof and such. But I'm trying to get the nicest one I can.. But not drop a bunch of money for one. Any Recomendations ?
Never!,...the only thing that touches my Challenger is a 100% genuine sheepskin wash mitt.Leaves no scratches at all on the finish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Yes, NEVER use a brush. Especially if your car is a dark color. Hand wash only or touch less wand wash.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah..what they said

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Wow! A brush? Seriously? Never use any kind of brush to wash the painted surface of your car. I used to detail cars on the side when my health was better and I found out early that no matter what kind of brush you use, eventually you will end up with scratches. The brush will hold dirt particles no matter how much water and soap is used. Even the ones that are hooked up to a hose. A high quality wash mit is the only way to go along with a high quality car wash. Using a brush, you might as well use a SOS pad. The damage will come sooner or later. The same applies for the gas station drive through car washes. They will jack your car up. I use only a mit then towel dry from the top down. Although I have only washed my Challenger once since I have owned it. When I take it in for service the service guys are like, "We could put your car back on the show room floor and it would be the best one there". I use a high quality detail spray almost daily to remove any bug or bird crap. I'm even so anal that I put tire dressing in my wheel wells. Yeah, that's over the top for some, but if you check out my pics on my page you will see that my white Challenger looks quite nice. Everyone has their own way to clean their car and I would never criticize other than the brush thing. The brush will eventually cause issues. Good luck to all of you when you make your car look sweet.

·
Registered
15,851 Posts
There are brushes designed for paint and it will not hurt the paint even black. Scratches more often caused by what's trapped in whatever you are using than the mitt or brush itself. Trucks, buses, airplanes, these are all washed with brushes and stay looking good for years in the worst conditions imaginable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Shank

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
The only thing I use a VERY soft baby bottle brush on is the inside of my rims with lots of soapy water for lube. I would never take a brush to my paint and my car is black too. If you can't reach the top, use a small step stool. You can split a rubber hose to put on the step stool hand rails so IF it bumps your car it won't do damage.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
There are brushes designed for paint and it will not hurt the paint even black. Scratches more often caused by what's trapped in whatever you are using than the mitt or brush itself. Trucks, buses, airplanes, these are all washed with brushes and stay looking good for years in the worst conditions imaginable.

Can't compare paint on trucks, buses and planes to the paint on a Challenger...totally different.

·
Super Moderator
14,934 Posts
Use a brush only for your wheels. I use a Meguires micro-fiber wash mitt on my paint.

Watch this excellent video about how to professionally wash you car. Notice what he uses to apply the car wash soap (12 minute mark of video).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do you all feel about drying the car using a car squeegee or water blade ?? Chamois and microfiber towels only ?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts