Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
214 Posts
I use water... a less smart ass answer. Apparently you can add some vinegar to the water to make it "work better." Odds are that is probably what the sprays are.

·
Registered
15,571 Posts
I've seen guys build an attachment for the pressure washer to roll around under the car to get the undercarriage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,448 Posts
Water. Salt is clearly water soluble. Water is all that is needed.

When I lived in areas of road salt use I'd just give my car a rinse at the local car wash -- heated water -- on days the temperature was above freezing. I'd "flood" the car with rinse water top to bottom and then get down and rinse the undercarriage.

Once nice weather was the norm I'd treat the car to a thorough wash -- bucket, soft wash mitt, and a garden hose -- at home on my drive way.

In both cases I'd drive the car after to use the brakes and get them hot to dry them thoroughly. You don't want to put the car away with wet brakes regardless the season.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do those touch-less car washes with the wax that is sprayed over the car discolor the black plastic parts...ie;shaker, splitter, spoiler?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Do those touch-less car washes with the wax that is sprayed over the car discolor the black plastic parts...ie;shaker, splitter, spoiler?
Don't know as I never use a touch-less/drive through car wash because as you mention these almost invariably add wax to the rinse water. The wax is a hard wax and my info is a hard wax is not the best wax to use on a car's painted surfaces. Besides the wax gets on all surfaces not just the painted ones.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't know as I never use a touch-less/drive through car wash because as you mention these almost invariably add wax to the rinse water. The wax is a hard wax and my info is a hard wax is not the best wax to use on a car's painted surfaces. Besides the wax gets on all surfaces not just the painted ones.
Probably best to steer clear of these places is what your saying then!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,711 Posts
Spray-on wax is an extra cost. I wouldn't recommend it. I would, however, recommend the under carriage spray if you drive on salt-covered roads.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Spray-on wax is an extra cost. I wouldn't recommend it. I would, however, recommend the under carriage spray if you drive on salt-covered roads.
To get the undercarriage spray at my local car wash, it comes with the spray wax.......so thats out!! Thanks for the response. Why did you get rid of the 'Cuda BTW???

·
Registered
217 Posts
Last week in North Texas they provided sand/ salt trucks and they actually had trucks out spraying brine on the roadways.
All because of the Winter Apocalypse.

I washed/ detailed my Challenger and RS3 at the house yesterday... you should have seen all the nasty debris that was washed off from underneath.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Probably best to steer clear of these places is what your saying then!!!
Yes, to avoid the wax in the rinse.

The other concern I have is my other cars had wide wheels/tires and not much ground clearance. I guy I worked with told me on a road trip in his new Corvette he tried a drive through car wash on I-70 in UT and got his car hung up. The Scat Pack is not quite as low as my other cars nor has as wide of tires, but still...

I haven't bothered to research this as I just decided to avoid any and all drive through brushless car washes, but if if you have access to a car wash that as Cuda340 says is wax optional of course you can use it if you want.

My concern is the wax may be present all the time.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
521 Posts
Some buddies with boats tuned me in to Salt-Away several years ago. I buy the concentrate and spray the car down at least once a month during the winter. I simply put the car up on ramps and attack it using a wand attachment with angled head. Makes me feel better that I'm at least doing something to try and minimize any salt damage.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
145 Posts
Warm water melts salt off easily. I would advise against vinegar solutions since it is typically 5% acid. If you get a good rain, you can't beat the amount of water that will wash the underside of your vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Eastwood Salt Neutralizer.

Yes you can rinse with a pressure washer and foam and wash too, but if you use a neutralizer like I posted it helps neutralize the areas you can’t quite reach well. It’s safe for paint, heck you don’t even have to rinse it off, keep it on the undercarriage and it will help as a barrier to neutralize anymore road salt that’s introduced.

Please don’t go to a touchless wash unless you want to prematurely dull your clear coat and dry out your trim.

·
Premium Member
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
506 Posts
Haven't seen this comment yet, "don't drive in the winter"?

I don't mean to be facetious, I just don't want to subject my Challenger to the caustic effects of salt and other winter conditions that are brutal and abusive the car.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
This is the one I purchased from Amazon and works great! My car is lowered so I have to drive the car on some 2x6 I have for the Rhino Ramp. If you car is not lowered then it'll fit under the carriage just fine. I have a 4' extension that attaches to my power washer's 3' handle I can almost do the entire car from one side.

Also, FYI I use this car wash for the under carriage. It's cheap less then $6 from Wally World...

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Be careful how much water you use around the dog-leg of the rear wheel housing - some folks have reported the Challenger is susceptible to rust there if it gets too wet (repeatedly). Apparently, there is foam behind the wheel well that absorbs and retains water. If that water is impregnated with salt...well, you can image the issue.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Minnesota here, king of salt and brine spray on the streets. Frequent wash/rinse at the common car wash works fine. We simply take the SUV’s to the car wash as frequently as possible avoiding bad roads during the next day or two. Otherwise we just let them collect the bad stuff. For example the next few days don’t call for precipitation up here. Late tonight I’ll go get my DD washed and park in my heated garage. They look like new, all the white scum disappears like magic.

The Challenger? Never seen a day on the road when brine or salt of any form is present.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts