Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,940 Posts
Minnesota here, king of salt and brine spray on the streets. Frequent wash/rinse at the common car wash works fine. We simply take the SUV’s to the car wash as frequently as possible avoiding bad roads during the next day or two. Otherwise we just let them collect the bad stuff. For example the next few days don’t call for precipitation up here. Late tonight I’ll go get my DD washed and park in my heated garage. They look like new, all the white scum disappears like magic.

The Challenger? Never seen a day on the road when brine or salt of any form is present.
I bought carpet drying fans, it blows at floor level, a wide swath of air. I put it in front of the vehicle to keep air circulating and dry underneath. I put it on a timer that goes on every 2 hours for 30 minutes. It’s at the front of all three bays in a heated garage, unless you have a moisture barrier under the concrete moisture can rise up and cause rust or pitting like it did to my Harley under a cover years ago. I never gave it thought as it was under a cover which ended up trapping the moisture and cause expensive damage. Live and learn.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
971 Posts
I use this, made in a STATE full of salt air in boating !!

Salts Gone

Like how its 100 to 1 and use garden sprayer.................

·
Registered
301 Posts
The one winter I drove it and the only winter I drove it I washed it in a touchless every time it was above freezing.
Winter Michigan roads kill everything, ever wonder why the grass doesn't grow on the side of the roads.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I bought carpet drying fans, it blows at floor level, a wide swath of air. I put it in front of the vehicle to keep air circulating and dry underneath. I put it on a timer that goes on every 2 hours for 30 minutes. It’s at the front of all three bays in a heated garage, unless you have a moisture barrier under the concrete moisture can rise up and cause rust or pitting like it did to my Harley under a cover years ago. I never gave it thought as it was under a cover which ended up trapping the moisture and cause expensive damage. Live and learn.
Bummer, I hate to hear that. I have had as many as five in my garage. In the construction business. I built the home, mine is comfy and dry, but thanks for the heads up for everyone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I bought a watering wand similar to this at a big box store to rinse off the underside. It's telescopic, has a swivel head & adjustable spray pattern.

I've also read a heated garage is worse than keeping the car in the cold because chemical reactions speed up when warm, therefore the salt does more damage.

·
Premium Member
Challenger RT 50th, HK, full double layer ceramic coating, full external debadged
40 Posts
How well do these road salt remover sprays work?
Given the crap they put on the roads in the north east, it was highly recommended that I invest in a ceramic coating on my challenger. I put a double layer on. A piece of mind investment.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,410 Posts
I bought a watering wand similar to this at a big box store to rinse off the underside. It's telescopic, has a swivel head & adjustable spray pattern.
View attachment 1015381

I've also read a heated garage is worse than keeping the car in the cold because chemical reactions speed up when warm, therefore the salt does more damage.
Second that about a heated garage being worse than keeping the car in a cold one. While the garage wasn't heated that is why whenever the temperature got above freezing I'd rinse the car off real good. To remove any build up on snow/ice/slush in various areas and to rinse any salt residue off the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Some buddies with boats tuned me in to Salt-Away several years ago. I buy the concentrate and spray the car down at least once a month during the winter. I simply put the car up on ramps and attack it using a wand attachment with angled head. Makes me feel better that I'm at least doing something to try and minimize any salt damage.
I used to own a boat/jet ski rental business. I used salt away frequently. After awhile I noticed a film build up on the units. I believe I was just using it too often and it came off with a cleaner wax.

I only mention it to say watch for it if you do use it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here's a pair of newspaper articles discussing if salty water is reused in car washes.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
When I had to drive my car (not the Challenger) in snow and salt I was fortunate having a heated garage, a soft water supplied sink, and a floor drain in the garage. Any time I drove in snow and/or salt I hooked my hose up to the sink faucet, laid on the floor, and hosed off the undercarriage quite thoroughly. I never had issues with rust or corrosion. Point is - water works fine if you can soak the undercarriage with it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
971 Posts
When I had to drive my car (not the Challenger) in snow and salt I was fortunate having a heated garage, a soft water supplied sink, and a floor drain in the garage. Any time I drove in snow and/or salt I hooked my hose up to the sink faucet, laid on the floor, and hosed off the undercarriage quite thoroughly. I never had issues with rust or corrosion. Point is - water works fine if you can soak the undercarriage with it.
Nope, try again....................

21 - 31 of 31 Posts