Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hate the look of rust in my otherwise pristine wheels. Does anyone paint their brake parts to prevent rust? (not the surface, the 'top hat') Is there a better solution?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I painted my calipers with b bque paint and applied high temp decal I found on ebay. Also on ebay I found rotors and pads for my R/T that were drilled and slotted and coated black for $250 for all four

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
He's not talking about calipers, he's talking about the rotor centers. They get MUCH hotter than the calipers, and the best paint that I've found for them is this. Just use a foam brush, both can be bought at Home Depot, etc. for cheap.

Aluminum, Gray or Black work well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I painted my rotor hats up to the machined surface the pads ride on. Also painted the "vanes" on the outer edge of the rotors.
I used 650* Engine Enamel and it holds up fine.
I can't seem to figure out how to attach pics or I would.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I did on my vette and it makes a big difference. I agree, that rust kills the look of your nice wheels and clean car....

Ill do the Challenger when I upgrade my brakes. Cant really see them right now as is.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
I painted mine with Eastwood cast iron spray grey because I did not want the rust but I did not want them to stand out. They still look good after 5 years.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I used black caliper paint that brushes on.Used two coats.I didnt like how the rotor hats were discolored.Makes the wheels pop more.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yup, used caliper high heat spray paint. Mask everything and painted them. Four coats and they are withstanding pressure washing.

Before

After

·
Registered
834 Posts
I did the same, hats and vanes. I used the high temp engine enamel in matt black.
Here's a before and after. Took about two hours but I took my time. I rotated my
tires and cleaned my rims at the same time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you guys do anything to remove the surface rust first or just spray over?

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
Always have to get rid of rust even if you are not painting. Anytime wheels are removed wire brush the surfaces so your wheel makes a good metal to metal contact with the hub lest you risk the lugs getting loose and you lose that wheel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts