Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone just a quick question… I have a used 2017 SXT plus. Purchased her about a month ago. The highway is literally one minute from my house, in the morning she doesn’t have much time to warm up. After getting on her on the highway occasionally I’ll smell Rotting eggs.. This is a very faint smell and only happens maybe twice a week after picking up on speed in the morning. Does my cat need maintenance or is this simply normal.
thank you in advance for any suggestions or answers.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,093 Posts
Not an expert opinion here, but if you are not showing a Check Engine Light then the cats are fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes no check engine light which is always a good sign. I think its just normal under the circumstances of getting on her in the morning with not much warm up time . Although I did smell it once before after driving for a little while. Like you said though no check engine light so hopefully I’m good. Thanks for your response

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s a 2017 SXT plus bought it about a month ago used has 22,000 miles

Vehicle is in excellent condition inside and out very low miles and can tell that it wasn’t abused

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
hi everyone just a quick question… I have a used 2017 SXT plus. Purchased her about a month ago. The highway is literally one minute from my house, in the morning she doesn’t have much time to warm up. After getting on her on the highway occasionally I’ll smell Rotting eggs.. This is a very faint smell and only happens maybe twice a week after picking up on speed in the morning. Does my cat need maintenance or is this simply normal.
thank you in advance for any suggestions or answers.
Short answer is no CEL with a converter related error code no problem.

What you are smelling is the result of the converters getting off on the wrong foot regarding exhaust gas processing. The converters emit a bit of hydrogen-sulfide which has the odor of rotten eggs. This can happen as the converters come up to their full operating temperature. It is not a sign of a probem.

You can try another brand of gasoline. In some cases this is reported to help reduce the tendency of the converters to start out on the wrong foot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the crazy thing is I do!!
30 miles to work , 30 miles back home 5 days a week all highway .
also put another70 miles highway on weekends
Keep in mind this is every week

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,205 Posts
the crazy thing is I do!!
30 miles to work , 30 miles back home 5 days a week all highway .
also put another70 miles highway on weekends
Keep in mind this is every week
You would think that is enough driving but my usage of my cars was similar. Took one of my cars in for a smog test. No CEL was on. I had driven the car a good amount before taking it in to ensure the engine and exhaust system were both fully up to temperature.

Car failed smog test. I forget which tests and by how much. Immediately after leaving the smog test station I went to the dealer. Spoke with both senior techs who knew my car well. Both were surprised it failed smog. They knew I took good care of the car -- they played a role of course.

Both -- separately -- advised me to take the car out and give it a good drive, if you know what I mean and I think you do. IOWs, an Italian Tuneup.

I did. Drove some back roads with some corners and longer straights which gave me the opportunity to really hard accelerate the car up to some speed. Ended up around 20+ miles from home. Got on the freeway towards home. Ended up behind a CHP cruiser almost all the way back to town. But I went back to the smog station for a re-test and the car passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,063 Posts
The source of the sulfur odor is the gas you're putting in your car. Sulfur content in various brands can vary significantly so you should try using a different brand, preferably a top tier one. : https://toptiergas.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts