Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haves searched forum up and down and am buying a 2020 R/T with Performance Handling package automatic trans limited slip rear (limited slip comes with handling package i have confirmed this) but question is does sport mode disable MDS. Seems no definite answer to be found on forum and does the Tazer disable MDS?
Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T Classic
88 Posts
I haves searched forum up and down and am buying a 2020 R/T with Performance Handling package automatic trans limited slip rear (limited slip comes with handling package i have confirmed this) but question is does sport mode disable MDS. Seems no definite answer to be found on forum and does the Tazer disable MDS?
Thanks
On my 2012, sport mode disengages "eco" mode which is the cylinder deactivation mode .

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,522 Posts
As was said above, unless something changed for 2020 sport mode and also using autostick in manual shut of MDS. Tazer also does in sport and track modes.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Sport Mode does disable MDS on the 5.7L. Since I live in Eastern Kentucky, there’s not enough straightaways to take advantage of MDS very frequently.....then there’s either a hill, a curve, or a hilly curve. Additionally......Sport Mode keeps the Active Exhaust open for that even more wonderful, melodic sound of 8 cylinders firing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmm, on my 13, MDS still definitely kicks in while in sport mode. The only time it doesn't engage is when i'm using autostick.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hmmm, on my 13, MDS still definitely kicks in while in sport mode. The only time it doesn't engage is when i'm using autostick.
More Hmmmmmmmm. On my '13 I happened to purposely hit the Sport Mode a few days ago to see what happens. It turned off the MDS (ECO went out). When I took it out of Sport Mode, MDS came back on (ECO returned). I did this a couple of times on level pavement driving about 40 mph. Yes, it also turns off when using auto stick. Now I'll have to double check it tomorrow to make sure my mind hasn't gone south on me.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
970 Posts
My 16 Scat Pack definitely has not experienced cylinder deactivation while in Sport Mode.

·
Registered
379 Posts
FWIW, sport mode didn't disable MDS in my '13 R/T. I was glad that it did in my '17 SP, and now in my '18 5.7 R/T.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah MDS is deactivated when you are in sport mode.
It is also deactivated when you are in a normal drive mode, and just place the transmission in manual shift mode.
I usually do that all the time. I think my Challenger was in MDS 'once'. It don't sound good at all.

I like manual shift option in the A8. We just couldn't find a manual in the color we wanted, with a Shaker, and without a sunroof. So we rolled the dice with the A8 and have been completely satisfied with its manual option.
With our Lexus, the manual option is more of a 'suggestion', the computer still shifts, when it is ready. All you can do is just limit how high a gear to go.
Not with the A8, it shifts when you tell it to shift. ( and it keeps the MDS away) . Love this Car.
Hope that helps
parrott

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys have car now and set sport mode for normal across the board till break in is over. Then I will adjust settings. Just going easy till first oil.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I remember in my 2006 Charger R/T, it didn't have an indicator for MDS/ECO/4CYL mode, it just did it, and that was all.
If I was on a trip and tried to hypermile for fun, I would go autostick, and upshift early, and not let downshifts when I knew it was not needed or would be quick. So I would manually shift to 5th and keep it there. Then I read that actually disabled MDS, but couldn't truly verify. Then I hooked up my ScanGauge II (bee's knee's back then) and watched MPG and it would drop drastically on the highway. (like from 20MPG to 12MPG) instantaneous. I figured out, it was based on injector duty, and didn't "know" that only ½ were firing, so really went from 20-24. Then I tested locked in 5th, and it never dropped below 20, so it never went into MDS.
But from testing on my 2006 5.7, 2015 5.7 and current 2018 6.4. I can say that while MDS is active I get 8%-10% less fuel used. On a trip, I'll take it! Around town, eh, not really a big deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts