Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i washed my car and unpacked the car cover today...its not a 1 man job getting it on....im thinking it will scratch up the car getting it on and off more than it will protect the car...i may leave it off and let it get dusty
and where to you put it when you take it off? if you throw it on the garage floor it will get full of dirt and scratch up the car more...

i may have a car cover for sale soon....i got the good Mopar one

if i had 4 people i think i could get it on and off w/o scratching

should i throw it in the wash a few times to soften it up?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
A car cover is good if it's clean and the car is clean. If either is dirty, the it will scratch the car. That's why I didn't buy one cause I knew once I drove it, there'd be dust on the car. And the cover itself will get dust and dirt on it's outside which will get on the inside when you take it off and roll it up.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I usually take it off starting at the front. Take off the front and leave it on the hood. Then remove the rear and leave it on the trunk lid. Then roll it over itself until it's in a ball. No fuss. Same concept getting it back on. Put the ball on the roof and unroll it. I'm a small guy and it works for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I usually take it off starting at the front. Take off the front and leave it on the hood. Then remove the rear and leave it on the trunk lid. Then roll it over itself until it's in a ball. No fuss. Same concept getting it back on. Put the ball on the roof and unroll it. I'm a small guy and it works for me.
Same here , i just dust the car off after i drive, throw the cover on to protect it in the garage.:browsmiley:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice....the first time its all folded up and impossible to do w/ 1 person....next time ill try it

i may only use it when i storing it over the winter

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Another way to do it is this -

Release the right side front an back and fold the right side up to the center.
Then repeat with the left side.
Now you have the outside of the cover folded onto itself and the cover is running down the length of the car in the middle.
Fold it lenghwise onto itself again.
Roll it up front to back or fold it up front to back.
The dirty outside of the cover never touches the car nor does it touch the clean inside of the cover.
Store it in the trunk.
If it is windy, any method is a problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Car covers can be a bit of a hassle indeed. My brother is very picky on how adds and removes the cover to his car. Just like aarchuda said; the car and the inside of the cover are a real pain to keep dirt-free.

I am planning to make a custom car cover for the IE 392 Challenger that my mom ordered... even though she ordered the package with the car cover included. An extra cover for a stock car cover. This way I can minimize the amount of dirt and debris that will end up on the top of the stock car cover. The less dirt and debris that can land on the top of the stock car cover; the more chance the cover as a whole will end up staying clean. However, this is for general garage storage purposes...

Also making sure the car is clean before the cover goes back on is really crucial. IMO... All it takes is forgetting once on a dirty car and the inside of the car cover might as well be a glorified piece of sand paper...:disgust:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Get yourself a California duster and use it every time.I use my car cover every day and i could see some light scratches and i used megyers scratch remover and they came right out.I always use the windshield and put the cover on there first and roll the back then the front.The same with when i take it off i roll the back up to the windshield then roll the front up to the windshield.That way you dont slide the cover on the paint .It seems to work for me!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Car covers can be a bit of a hassle indeed. My brother is very picky on how adds and removes the cover to his car. Just like aarchuda said; the car and the inside of the cover are a real pain to keep dirt-free.

I am planning to make a custom car cover for the IE 392 Challenger that my mom ordered... even though she ordered the package with the car cover included. An extra cover for a stock car cover. This way I can minimize the amount of dirt and debris that will end up on the top of the stock car cover. The less dirt and debris that can land on the top of the stock car cover; the more chance the cover as a whole will end up staying clean. However, this is for general garage storage purposes...

Also making sure the car is clean before the cover goes back on is really crucial. IMO... All it takes is forgetting once on a dirty car and the inside of the car cover might as well be a glorified piece of sand paper...:disgust:
So you have two covers for a car that gets kept in a garage? Why do you even need one?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Waumo's method of removal is what I use. I never have liked the bulky kind of car covers that are like what Mopar offers. They're harder to put on and take off and harder to store, since they're so bulky.

I use the silky, stretchy kind of car covers on all my cars. They are lightweight, easy to put on and take off by yourself, take up much less room in the trunk (or wherever you store them), and can be ordered in colors. Plus, after they "settle" for a day and the wrinkles come out, they fit the form of the car exactly. I roll mine from front to back, and place it in the trunk when I'm done. When putting it back on, I place it on the trunk and roll it from back to front. It's really a piece of cake and I can remove it or install it easily in 2 minutes by myself.

This site has them on sale right now. I've bought from them before and they offer excellent service:

Coverking Satin Stretch Car Cover, Coverking Satin Covers

Obviously, the car needs to be clean when you install the cover. A California duster is your best friend, or if you have more time, a quality detail spray.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So you have two covers for a car that gets kept in a garage? Why do you even need one?
Good question! I need a cover for the car cover due to the massive amounts of dust that floats in the air at my mom's garage. Also I work with dirt everyday and it would take much for a few chunks of dirt to land on the car cover...

Keep in mind this "second" cover for the car cover will not be anything pretty. Just a set of Walmart bedsheets sewed together. It is just simply meant to keep dirt and debris off the factory car cover.

I also have an Earthwise cordless leaf blower... Once I removed my custom second cover... I plan to the blowing off the remaining dirt and debris from stock car cover to minimize contamination within the inside of the stock car cover. Perhaps I can make a YouTube video sometime later down the road. This is mostly a concept idea; so I'm sure there will be a few bugs to work out...

-Cupnbuckit

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
CupnBuckit, it sounds to me like you'd be better off with the combination of a bubble and car cover. It would be higher cost initially (but not by much), but easier and less hassle in the long run. A bubble will filter the air entering it, and keep the car cover clean. You wouldn't have to worry about the sheets and blowing off the dust with a leaf blower. Just unzip the bubble, take off the car cover, and you're done.

CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover

·
Registered
131 Posts
CupnBuckit, it sounds to me like you'd be better off with the combination of a bubble and car cover. It would be higher cost initially (but not by much), but easier and less hassle in the long run. A bubble will filter the air entering it, and keep the car cover clean. You wouldn't have to worry about the sheets and blowing off the dust with a leaf blower. Just unzip the bubble, take off the car cover, and you're done.

CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover
Thanks! I will definitely take a look and let you know what I think!:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Waumo's method of removal is what I use. I never have liked the bulky kind of car covers that are like what Mopar offers. They're harder to put on and take off and harder to store, since they're so bulky.

I use the silky, stretchy kind of car covers on all my cars. They are lightweight, easy to put on and take off by yourself, take up much less room in the trunk (or wherever you store them), and can be ordered in colors. Plus, after they "settle" for a day and the wrinkles come out, they fit the form of the car exactly. I roll mine from front to back, and place it in the trunk when I'm done. When putting it back on, I place it on the trunk and roll it from back to front. It's really a piece of cake and I can remove it or install it easily in 2 minutes by myself.

This site has them on sale right now. I've bought from them before and they offer excellent service:

Coverking Satin Stretch Car Cover, Coverking Satin Covers

Obviously, the car needs to be clean when you install the cover. A California duster is your best friend, or if you have more time, a quality detail spray.
Yes, the Black Indoor Cover the dealer sent me is soft and silky. The carry bag is only about 18 inches long.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is exactly how I do my cover on the Cuda. The cover then gets stored in its own storage bag. Been doing it this way for at least 10 yrs w/the same cover. Not a single scratch.

·
Super Moderator
15,601 Posts
Another way to do it is this -

Release the right side front an back and fold the right side up to the center.
Then repeat with the left side.
Now you have the outside of the cover folded onto itself and the cover is running down the length of the car in the middle.
Fold it lenghwise onto itself again.
Roll it up front to back or fold it up front to back.
The dirty outside of the cover never touches the car nor does it touch the clean inside of the cover.
Store it in the trunk.
If it is windy, any method is a problem.
+1 - exactly how I handle & store mine - kept in the trunk when not in use, and ready to go when I'm parked at work (clean car only) to protect from sun and keeps the dust off the car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I took a different approach to handling my car cover, I use some tarp grabbers from "Menard's" to grab my car cover and then I ran some lines thru mini pullies attached roof beams of my garage and tied to the tarp grabbber. I use this setup to lift the cover above the car and simply drive out. I think the attached pictures help explain what I did alot better. :browsmiley:

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gusty wind can be a problem with outdoor covers. I use a bungee cord under the midsection of the car attached to the grommets on the side bottom edges of the cover. The sun's ultraviolet rays can also slowly breakdown the fibers of the cover and turn it to dust. UV protected covers can last for a few years but will eventually succumb. And finally, I had a visit from a mouse this year that chewed little perforations around the entire elastic hem. So wind/sun/rodents are my gym/tan/laundry reality but a good outside car cover does protect the car when a garage is not available.

·
Registered
94 Posts
half of my garage is so full of crap, and winter is still here so i cant phone in a bin to turf all that stuff to the dump, i prefer to have the mopar cover on it at least to keep the snow from melting,freezing and then having ice running down the panels as it all melts. its gives some piece mind from kids egging, or painting my new car as well. i can't wait for a thaw so i can throw all that crap out, and park inside! . any chaffing from the cover i'll spend some time polishing later, i have a great dewalt variable speed polisher with 3 different polishing foam pads and just about every meguires product under the sun.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts