Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Excuse me if this question has already been asked somewhere, but reading on Diablo's website they say that the Predator gives you 25 rwhp. Is this true, any one seen results on the dyno?

Secondly, if this is true, to have my 2010 6.1 SRT CHALLENGER be just as fast as the 2011 SRT 6.4 Challenger, all you would have to do it get a CAI, EXHAUST, and a tune? Seeing as how the 6.4 only makes 40 more than the 6.1, or am I wrong?

·
Registered
352 Posts
excuse me if this question has already been asked somewhere, but reading on diablos website they say that they preditor gives you 25 rwhp. is this true, any one seen results on the dyno..

secondly, if this is true, to be just as fast as the 2011 srt challenger, all you would have to do it get a CAI, EXHAUST, and a tune? seeing as how the 6.4 only makes 40 more than the 6.1.. or am i wrong?

I wouldn't get lost in the numbers. I haven't driven the new 6.4 yet but it's going to blow the other models out of the water... Variable intake and valve timing, as well as more displacement... it's going to feel like a lot more than only 40 hp, the gain is going to be all over the powerband.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't get lost in the numbers. I haven't driven the new 6.4 yet but it's going to blow the other models out of the water... Variable intake and valve timing, as well as more displacement... it's going to feel like a lot more than only 40 hp, the gain is going to be all over the powerband.
i understand that, but im just curious as to what it takes to make my 2010 srt chally comparable the stock 6.4. you figure a corsa exhaust, adds 15+ hp, a cai adds about 10+hp, and a solid tune adds more h.p shouldnt it be close to the 6.4's output

the displacement of an engine doesnt always mean its better.. for example gm had a 454, 7.4 liter that was in the SS silverado, and it made a whooping 230 hp and 385 tq.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The predator by itself, probably not,but add a CAI,180 stat and a free flowing exhaust and you are looking at at least 25 hp. Heat soaked engines cost you a minimum of 10hp. I found out the hard way on my stock C5.Came within .002 of running a 14.0 on back to back runs at HRP. How embarassing would that be!!!!So the stat is not giving you any HP, but is allowing you to use all that you have.Whereas the CAI is allowing cooler air into the engine, that makes HP.My R/T is tuned to use reg gas or 89 octane, using 93 octane and the predator tune will maximize the power available in these engines.Given good traction the R/T with these additions will give an SRT all it can handle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's when you start stacking mods on each of them the 392 is going to shine...

The 454 SS truck was a low compression joke. It was more of a conversation piece rather than a performance piece. It wasn't even compariable to the Dakota R/T or Lightings of the era.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's when you start stacking mods on each of them the 392 is going to shine...

The 454 SS truck was a low compression joke. It was more of a conversation piece rather than a performance piece. It wasn't even compariable to the Dakota R/T or Lightings of the era.
lol of coarse mod to mod the 392 will win, but im talking 6.1 with the cai, exhaust tune compared to the stock 392? how would those compare, should be close to even right?

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
It is more then the horse power, it is also the torque and when it all becomes available. If you are talking 1/4 mile times the 6.1 is going to need more then a "tune" and cold air. What I would like to see are hard numbers in the handling department. Everyone is writing how much better the 2011 handles but I have not seen hard numbers to back it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone here dynoed the 93 predator tune on a stock 6.1? I am curious what kind of whp/tq the 93 tune would give.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The 392 in stock form is 420 rwhp and 420 rwtq.

For a 6.1l in stock form, you are looking at 365 rwhp and 360 rwtq.

6.1l with a custom tune and CAI will get you in the 375-380 rwhp and getting a 3" catback vs. the stock 2.75" exhaust help with maintaining torque. In all, a custom tuned, CAI, exhausted 6.1l will put you in the 390 rwhp range but will in no way compare to the amount of torque made by the 392.

If you want to get into 392 territory, a mild camshaft will add you at least 40 rwhp / 35 rwtq across the powerband and adding on ported heads will up that a bit more. For example, my mild cam and ported heads/intake, engine heatsoaked, Challenger put down 431 rwhp / 413 rwtq in 91 deg weather. There are more aggressive camshafts that can get you much higher results. Looking at the dyno comparison, the 392 still makes better low end torque between 2500-3500.

If you want to blow away the 392, look into stroking the 6.1l to a 426 or just supercharging it and be done.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts

6.1l with a custom tune and CAI will get you in the 375-380 rwhp and getting a 3" catback vs. the stock 2.75" exhaust help with maintaining torque. In all, a custom tuned, CAI, exhausted 6.1l will put you in the 390 rwhp range but will in no way compare to the amount of torque made by the 392.

If you want to get into 392 territory, a mild camshaft will add you at least 40 rwhp / 35 rwtq across the powerband and adding on ported heads will up that a bit more. For example, my mild cam and ported heads/intake, engine heatsoaked, Challenger put down 431 rwhp / 413 rwtq in 91 deg weather. There are more aggressive camshafts that can get you much higher results. Looking at the dyno comparison, the 392 still makes better low end torque between 2500-3500.

If you want to blow away the 392, look into stroking the 6.1l to a 426 or just supercharging it and be done.

VVT is a beautiful thing but makes it a bear to tune...i still havent had the chance to drive a 392 but want to compare :werd:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Althought the 392 is rated at 470hp at the crank it is really putting down right about 500hp like rayrazoo said. I dont think your going to make up that hp with a cold air, catback exhaust and tune. There are alot more differences than compression ration between the 6.1 and 6.4. There is a youtube video with the head design guy driving a Green with Envy edition, and he pretty much explains all the changes. Specifically designed with more low end torque.

·
Registered
427 Posts
excuse me if this question has already been asked somewhere, but reading on diablos website they say that they preditor gives you 25 rwhp. is this true, any one seen results on the dyno..

secondly, if this is true, to have my 2010 6.1 SRT CHALLENGER be just as fast as the 2011 SRT 6.4 challenger, all you would have to do it get a CAI, EXHAUST, and a tune? seeing as how the 6.4 only makes 40 more than the 6.1.. or am i wrong?
I'm planning on going back to the dyno soon to see what I'm putting down with the 93 canned tune. Stock I put down 380rwhp.

My best 1/4 stock was a [email protected] but 13.0 was more the norm. With 93 tune my best was [email protected] with 12.5-12.6 the norm.

The 93 tune really ways up the low end power.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

so a 392 looses 50 hp through the drive train and your telling me a 6.1 looses 60 = hp through the drive train.. sorry i dont buy that. if thats the case why are there numerous people on these forums saying they have dynod a 6.1 at 380 and up bone stock. i havent had a chance to dyno mine yet but my awd jeep srt made 368 to the wheels and an all wheel drive car looses much more power as it takes more to turn the wheels. 365 seems way too low

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Althought the 392 is rated at 470hp at the crank it is really putting down right about 500hp like rayrazoo said. I dont think your going to make up that hp with a cold air, catback exhaust and tune. There are alot more differences than compression ration between the 6.1 and 6.4. There is a youtube video with the head design guy driving a Green with Envy edition, and he pretty much explains all the changes. Specifically designed with more low end torque.
so chrysler under rates there top of the line car, i can see how that would boost sales:guiness:... if it put out 500 they would advertise it at 500 ive seen many a dyno vid on the 392 and ive seen no results that indicate its making 500 at the crank.

if chrysler is under rating their cars, the 6.1 makes 455 then right. since 470 +30 = 500:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Just to be accurate, the 6.4 has 45 more hp (470 hp)- not 40 more than the 6.1 (425 hp).

The 6.4 has great potential but it is not under-rated at 470 hp. The SRT engineers have stated that at a 500 hp+ configuration, there were engine longevity issues (i.e., failing the 200,000 mile test). As a result, they had to slightly de-tune the engine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
so chrysler under rates there top of the line car, i can see how that would boost sales:guiness:... if it put out 500 they would advertise it at 500 ive seen many a dyno vid on the 392 and ive seen no results that indicate its making 500 at the crank.

if chrysler is under rating their cars, the 6.1 makes 455 then right. since 470 +30 = 500:bigthumb:
Converting rwhp to motor hp is generally:
15% loss for manuals or rwhp/.85 = motor hp
18% loss for autos or rwhp/.82 = motor hp

Some cars like the 11 Mustang has electric power steering so powertrain loss is ~ 3% less.

Running the numbers my 10 Challenger SRT8 auto put down 380rwhp or 462hp at the motor.

I've seen 11 SRT8 dynos ranging from 415rwhp (auto) to 450rwhp (manual) or 506-529hp at the motor.

After Fords embarrassment with the low output of the 99 Cobras I think MFGs have gotten more conservative with their output numbers. Ford had to recall all the 99 Cobras & upgrade alot of parts to get to the rated hp after too many dynos showed up showing it making 30-50 under what it should of been putting to the wheels.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts