Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup Everyone? Share a video like this on Valentines Day won't get me much love lol, I want to make this clear... I love the current design of the challenger and the traditional look behind it. But we must be honest, the Challenger as all cars need a redesign at some point. If the right person gets their hands on the challenger they can remake a classic. Progression isn't always bad... Let me know what you guys think!!!

https://youtu.be/zRzkmI6AJ88

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Not necessarily a redesign, but a "refresh". Some Cuda-inspired touches and a convertible would be excellent. What they shouldn't do is "Euro-weenie" it all up like Ford did to the latest Mustang. Let's be honest, as much as we despise Ford, they nailed the retro-tribute modern car with the 2005 Mustang. Dodge and Chevy followed suit, and the reason we love these cars, is that they remind us an awful lot about what we loved about the 60's and 70's muscle cars. Now Ford ruined that retro look in favor of attracting more "younger" buyers who have no sentimental attachment to old-school muscle cars. For me, why would I buy a Europeanized Challenger if I could get far better engineering and performance out of a BMW or Benz? The Challenger needs to continue to look like a Challenger or Cuda. Let's be honest, if Chevy would come out with a modern car that looks like a split-window 63 Vette or a 55 Bel-Air, we'd be selling our body organs on the black-market to make money to buy one. If GM had retro styled that Holden GTO, they'd still be selling them!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Convertable "soft" top please.........
Ask any dent guy, and they will tell you that the challenger is already ready to be a soft top. There is a ton of bracing in the rear quarters that would be similar to cars that have convertible tops. It looks like it was setup that way so if they decided to run a vert, it would not need any retooling. But the car is braced for it internally.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
RIP Pontiac

They just needed to hold out a few more years and come out with something retro, they might've made it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ask any dent guy, and they will tell you that the challenger is already ready to be a soft top. There is a ton of bracing in the rear quarters that would be similar to cars that have convertible tops. It looks like it was setup that way so if they decided to run a vert, it would not need any retooling. But the car is braced for it internally.
I'm "ALL IN" for that..... :shocked:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
That's interesting. I've seen some drop-top conversions for Challengers and discussions on some forums. Some folks didn't like the look of the convertible top, so I asked if you could just cut the roof off, finish it all up, and not put a soft-top on it. Only drive it when there's no rain, and you don't need to park it and leave it. The general consensus from some gurus here was that the body would sag and the doors wouldn't close because it's not set up to be a convertible and part of the $11000 the conversion modifiers did, was to account for the lack of roof structure. I wonder if the conversion dudes are nicking their customers for a large chunk of coin, just doing some minor welding, if the car is already structurally ready to go topless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not necessarily a redesign, but a "refresh". Some Cuda-inspired touches and a convertible would be excellent. What they shouldn't do is "Euro-weenie" it all up like Ford did to the latest Mustang. Let's be honest, as much as we despise Ford, they nailed the retro-tribute modern car with the 2005 Mustang. Dodge and Chevy followed suit, and the reason we love these cars, is that they remind us an awful lot about what we loved about the 60's and 70's muscle cars. Now Ford ruined that retro look in favor of attracting more "younger" buyers who have no sentimental attachment to old-school muscle cars. For me, why would I buy a Europeanized Challenger if I could get far better engineering and performance out of a BMW or Benz? The Challenger needs to continue to look like a Challenger or Cuda. Let's be honest, if Chevy would come out with a modern car that looks like a split-window 63 Vette or a 55 Bel-Air, we'd be selling our body organs on the black-market to make money to buy one. If GM had retro styled that Holden GTO, they'd still be selling them!
Well, Said!!! I would never want it to lose its original (Classic Muscle Car Styling) Like with any design there is always room for improvement...

·
Premium Member
9,360 Posts
That's interesting. I've seen some drop-top conversions for Challengers and discussions on some forums. Some folks didn't like the look of the convertible top, so I asked if you could just cut the roof off, finish it all up, and not put a soft-top on it. Only drive it when there's no rain, and you don't need to park it and leave it. The general consensus from some gurus here was that the body would sag and the doors wouldn't close because it's not set up to be a convertible and part of the $11000 the conversion modifiers did, was to account for the lack of roof structure. I wonder if the conversion dudes are nicking their customers for a large chunk of coin, just doing some minor welding, if the car is already structurally ready to go topless.
Actually it’s $17,000 for the conversion as of a couple of years ago. The car gets extra stiffeners, it’s absolutely not safe or roadworthy as it is without it.
I’ve been to drop top customs in Florida, it’s an involved conversion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts