Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning out the details for a Challenger R/T, and I'd like to have the classic Flowmaster sound, but I do not want ANY exhaust drone. It'll be an automatic car.

How is the Force 2 exhaust system that has the small resonators at the exhaust tips? I might want to put headers on the car too, if that matters.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like the JBA shorty headers would be good if I didn't get a set of factory 6.1 or 6.4 headers, but what would be best to install between the headers and the Flowmaster Force 2 catback system? Are there bolt-in parts that fit this?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
If you have SRT headers, you'll need SRT mid pipes and a cat back for a SRT as the mid pipes are 2.75". If you sell them and get RT shorty's, just order a cat back for a RT which uses 2.5" mid pipes. If you use the SRT shorty headers, I think you'll need oxygen sensor extensions as well. Hope this clears up one of your questions. I don't know about the drone of the Flowmaster.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the force 2 on an auto. At first it doesn't seem much louder than stock but definitely has a lower rumble to it. When you get on it there is a bigger difference than just idling. No drone to me. If you add headers should make it louder... And for awhile I wanted it louder but would like to hear the American thunder system in person before I were to remove the resonators.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm planning out the details for a Challenger R/T, and I'd like to have the classic Flowmaster sound, but I do not want ANY exhaust drone. It'll be an automatic car.

How is the Force 2 exhaust system that has the small resonators at the exhaust tips? I might want to put headers on the car too, if that matters.
What year is your Challenger?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Matt

I had wanted my system to be louder for awhile, I have the force 2. Are the muffler back pipes for the American Thunder and Force 2 systems interchangeable? I don't want to chop the pipes up then regret it. Can the muffler back pipes be purchased separately or no?

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,595 Posts
If you leave the MDS engaged there is some drone but nothing the stereo can't cover up. I turned the MDS off in mine and there is ZERO drone. Mine's been on since about 2 weeks after I bought the car and I have no regrets.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Matt

I had wanted my system to be louder for awhile, I have the force 2. Are the muffler back pipes for the American Thunder and Force 2 systems interchangeable? I don't want to chop the pipes up then regret it. Can the muffler back pipes be purchased separately or no?
We do not sell the pipes for the American Thunder or Force II kits separately. The difference in these pipes is that the Force II kit uses resonators and the American Thunder kit does not. The cheapest way to make your system louder would be to cut out the resonators and add straight pipe in their place. Be warned, this will make your system a little bit louder than the American Thunder kit because your system uses Super 44 Series mufflers and the American Thunder kit uses Super 40 Series mufflers. Make sure to hold on to your resonators in case you are unhappy with the sound that you achieve by removing them. Good luck!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,336 Posts
Matt, hats off to you and your folks at FlowMaster. I ordered my Force II Tuesday afternoon with regular UPS delivery.

I'm in NW MO, and the carton just arrived, and in great shape! WOW!

Thanks for the assistance in picking this system out, and the factory getting it shipped so FAST! Nice job!

Only problem, I have to wait until Tuesday to get it installed. The shop is booked :(

Thanks again

·
Registered
421 Posts
Matt, hats off to you and your folks at FlowMaster. I ordered my Force II Tuesday afternoon with regular UPS delivery.

I'm in NW MO, and the carton just arrived, and in great shape! WOW!

Thanks for the assistance in picking this system out, and the factory getting it shipped so FAST! Nice job!

Only problem, I have to wait until Tuesday to get it installed. The shop is booked :(

Thanks again
That's great! If you get the urge, and want to save some money, you could always install the kit yourself using the supplied clamps. Your Force II system can be installed using basic hand-tools, just be sure to follow the instructions included in your kit. If you do the install yourself, I would still recommend that you bring your car in on Tuesday to have the shop weld it in place. Thanks and congratulations!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definitely install it yourself and save the money. It'll take you two hours max. Most of my time was spent trying to get the stock exhaust off the rear hangers. You can try prying them off with wd40 and a screwdriver or if you're like me and get frustrated with that remove the bolts that hold the hangers on and take them off once you aren't underneath the car anymore. Me and a buddy did mine with a ratchet set, a 3 ton jack, and a few beers.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,336 Posts
25 years ago I would have installed them myself. The old hands and shoulders are just too beat up for it now.

I've got a great little local "custom exhaust" shop that'll be doing the work, and I'll have him weld it in. He thought right at $100, so I thought that this was pretty fair :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
My local shop said something like $300 and a few hours...and they have a lift. I don't know what they were trying to pull. The welding will be important. I took a 3.5 hr road trip and one of my mufflers came off the H pipe. It never fell completely off though so I just hopped under the car and tightened it back on lol.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I love my force II's. JBA shorties, JBA hi-flow catted mids, and the flowmaster force II's and my car sounds awesome! NO DRONE, although i do have MDS disabled. My cold starts are actually quite loud, very happy with the setup.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have the American thunder on mine and have mds disabled. The sound is incredible. It does have some drone but that has never bothered me. I am one of those guys that likes to really hear their exhaust. I have always been a flowmaster fan.

·
Registered
69 Posts
@G Funk

Did you have the force 2's before shortys and hi flows? Curious if you have an opinion on how the exhaust note changed. Louder? Different tone? Etc. I've thought about removing the resonators but adding shortys and hi flows might get the sound I want and some added performance.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Flowmasters are for Mustangs, IMO they sound great on Mustangs and thats it, I had them on a Chevy Truck and the drone and sound was terrible, they lasted 4 days before I could get them off.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Flowmasters are for Mustangs, IMO they sound great on Mustangs and thats it, I had them on a Chevy Truck and the drone and sound was terrible, they lasted 4 days before I could get them off.
I disagree 100%. I have had flowmasters on mustangs and I have the catback on my challenger and it sounds just as good. To me, the sound clips of some of the other higher priced systems sounded too high pitched and fluttery especially under heavy throttle. Flowmasters have that classic deep tone that is just right. Just recently, a guy heard my challenger and said "you got it sounding like a muscle car now."

1 - 20 of 46 Posts