Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Does the Flowmaster Force 2 exhaust drone?

25K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  Konqueror5 
#1 ·
I'm planning out the details for a Challenger R/T, and I'd like to have the classic Flowmaster sound, but I do not want ANY exhaust drone. It'll be an automatic car.

How is the Force 2 exhaust system that has the small resonators at the exhaust tips? I might want to put headers on the car too, if that matters.

#2 ·
I've been doing some reading, and it sounds like the JBA shorty headers would be good if I didn't get a set of factory 6.1 or 6.4 headers, but what would be best to install between the headers and the Flowmaster Force 2 catback system? Are there bolt-in parts that fit this?

#3 ·
If you have SRT headers, you'll need SRT mid pipes and a cat back for a SRT as the mid pipes are 2.75". If you sell them and get RT shorty's, just order a cat back for a RT which uses 2.5" mid pipes. If you use the SRT shorty headers, I think you'll need oxygen sensor extensions as well. Hope this clears up one of your questions. I don't know about the drone of the Flowmaster.

#4 ·
I have the force 2 on an auto. At first it doesn't seem much louder than stock but definitely has a lower rumble to it. When you get on it there is a bigger difference than just idling. No drone to me. If you add headers should make it louder... And for awhile I wanted it louder but would like to hear the American thunder system in person before I were to remove the resonators.

Reactions: 19johned53
#7 ·
Matt

I had wanted my system to be louder for awhile, I have the force 2. Are the muffler back pipes for the American Thunder and Force 2 systems interchangeable? I don't want to chop the pipes up then regret it. Can the muffler back pipes be purchased separately or no?

#9 · (Edited)
We do not sell the pipes for the American Thunder or Force II kits separately. The difference in these pipes is that the Force II kit uses resonators and the American Thunder kit does not. The cheapest way to make your system louder would be to cut out the resonators and add straight pipe in their place. Be warned, this will make your system a little bit louder than the American Thunder kit because your system uses Super 44 Series mufflers and the American Thunder kit uses Super 40 Series mufflers. Make sure to hold on to your resonators in case you are unhappy with the sound that you achieve by removing them. Good luck!

#8 ·
If you leave the MDS engaged there is some drone but nothing the stereo can't cover up. I turned the MDS off in mine and there is ZERO drone. Mine's been on since about 2 weeks after I bought the car and I have no regrets.

#27 ·
My experience with the drone and MDS is the same.

Overall the Force II is loud when you get into it but not annoying on the highway. Happy with my Force II for 3 years now. My only issue was the clamps not holding and the catback system sliding torwards the rear causing the muffler to hit the driveshaft. Finally just welded them on. :)

Don

#10 ·
Matt, hats off to you and your folks at FlowMaster. I ordered my Force II Tuesday afternoon with regular UPS delivery.

I'm in NW MO, and the carton just arrived, and in great shape! WOW!

Thanks for the assistance in picking this system out, and the factory getting it shipped so FAST! Nice job!

Only problem, I have to wait until Tuesday to get it installed. The shop is booked :(

Thanks again

#11 · (Edited)
That's great! If you get the urge, and want to save some money, you could always install the kit yourself using the supplied clamps. Your Force II system can be installed using basic hand-tools, just be sure to follow the instructions included in your kit. If you do the install yourself, I would still recommend that you bring your car in on Tuesday to have the shop weld it in place. Thanks and congratulations!

#12 ·
Definitely install it yourself and save the money. It'll take you two hours max. Most of my time was spent trying to get the stock exhaust off the rear hangers. You can try prying them off with wd40 and a screwdriver or if you're like me and get frustrated with that remove the bolts that hold the hangers on and take them off once you aren't underneath the car anymore. Me and a buddy did mine with a ratchet set, a 3 ton jack, and a few beers.

#14 ·
My local shop said something like $300 and a few hours...and they have a lift. I don't know what they were trying to pull. The welding will be important. I took a 3.5 hr road trip and one of my mufflers came off the H pipe. It never fell completely off though so I just hopped under the car and tightened it back on lol.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I have the American thunder on mine and have mds disabled. The sound is incredible. It does have some drone but that has never bothered me. I am one of those guys that likes to really hear their exhaust. I have always been a flowmaster fan.

#18 ·
@G Funk

Did you have the force 2's before shortys and hi flows? Curious if you have an opinion on how the exhaust note changed. Louder? Different tone? Etc. I've thought about removing the resonators but adding shortys and hi flows might get the sound I want and some added performance.

#20 ·
I disagree 100%. I have had flowmasters on mustangs and I have the catback on my challenger and it sounds just as good. To me, the sound clips of some of the other higher priced systems sounded too high pitched and fluttery especially under heavy throttle. Flowmasters have that classic deep tone that is just right. Just recently, a guy heard my challenger and said "you got it sounding like a muscle car now."

#21 ·
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder, as recomended by my salesman who has installed many systems. Most that eliminate the "drone" have a somewhat european sound...more exotic than muscle. The flowmaster American Thunder does have a "drone" 1800-2100rpm, gets louder but not so much the the headache causing presure waves in some applications

I gotta say the Flowmaster sounded awful on my LS1 Z28...but sweet on the challenger. Have had a lot of folk tell me how true "old school" it sounds. With my 6spd, its real quiet on the highway in 6th. My suburban neigbors probably dont care for it firing up at 5am tho... I love it!

Reactions: salvy59
#22 ·
I'm going for that classic Flowmaster sound, but I'd prefer it not to be too blasting loud behind the car and definitely no interior drone.

I never liked Fords, but I have heard many Mustangs with Flowmasters over the years at the local dragstrip, and I have got to say they really sound good. I somehow always thought it had something to do with what seemed like shorter tailpipes on Mustangs compared to other larger cars, but I could be wrong.

#24 ·
Flowmaster Force II's installed and welded in today.

Only had a chance to get about 75 miles on the car, but a good combination of 55-60mph hilly two lanes, and some 70-75mph Interstate driving...............the sound is perfect, and just what I was looking for.

No drone to me, but the MDS, when engaged, has a deeper low pitched sound that is at a very acceptable/low interior level!

Great sound at idle and through the gears, with a nice soft growl on the inside at Interstate speeds.

My local shop, took off the stock system, got the Flowmasters installed and lined up, and then welded them in.

Labor Cost.................................$50.00.

Already love this system, and heading out for a good cruise tonight. :)

#28 ·
2014 R/T Classic, 5 speed auto, STP, resonator delete. Love the sound both inside and outside the car, but hate the drone between 1750 & 1900 rpm and Wifey really can't stand it. I was thinking about ordering the Solo Performance system due to positive non drone with the auto tranny write ups, but being an East coast system and no one around here out West with the system I decided with the non drone/great sound write ups in this thread I ordered the Flowmaster Force II cat back system from our local muffler shop here in Henderson, NV. Scheduled to install next Monday and after a couple hundred miles I'll post a write up with inside & outside the car sound video's.

God this mod bug has really got a holt on me........................ Reminds me of 3 years ago when I bought a 2010 1LT C6 Corvette, 6 speed stick. It weighed 2285 lbs. with only 8800 miles on it and the only lighter C6 was the Z06. I got bit by the mod bug and did the chassis, brake, body, engine and exhaust mods thing. Not a lot of engine mods but it put out 400 rwhp & 395 rwftlbs torque. Learned to drive in in Competitive Mode and it was a HOOT to drive, loved the sound of the engine/kooks long tube headers/borla cat back exhaust when shifting at 6000 rpm. What a sweet piece.

#29 · (Edited)
I'm thinking that you'll be happy with the Force II, but let us know your thoughts about it. Everyone's ears are different, and so are certain frequencies to individuals.

Just got back from a nice cruise tonight with the wife. What did she say..........................."It's about time, this sounds perfect" LMAO.............I'm a lucky guy having this "car girl" for a wife :)

To our ears, no drone doing 70-75mph on the Interstate. No radio needed...........or wanted on this "honeymoon".

BTW, nice looking Vette :)

#30 ·
I have the force 2 on a 2013 rt auto and it sounds good at any rpm any speed. I've driven it slow/fast from 0-145 for over 10K miles now. MDS kicks in and the tone changes, it is obvious, but it doesn't bother me a single bit. Plenty of 3+ hr road trips with no issues.

I don't think it changes in sound to be honest, your body just adapts to it because as people that is what we do, adapt. I was told by some it would get louder, others said quieter. I never measured the volume in db but it sounds the same. Kind of loud on cold starts then mellows out and just has a deep smooth idle to it.

I like the tone of the system, it is much deeper and slightly louder than stock. I love autostick and letting the rpms climb and idling down to hear that "pop" when the car is decelerating. Problem is every now and then I want my car to be louder and more aggressive. I wish I could listen to someone in the Chicago/Indianapolis area's American Thunder kit since removing the resonators that is the closest to what I would sound like. Granted I'll have super 44 vs super 40 mufflers but whatever.

Anybody have the force 2 then added hi flows or headers (preferably shortys) and noticed an increase in volume? (tone change?) Maybe it is because I'm young(er) or that my neighbors car is twice as loud that I just don't get the sense the car is roaring when I get on it.

I let my girlfriend drive it and it sounds nice as she pulls off but I want it to be no doubt there is a hemi under the hood the second I hit the pedal.

Reactions: DJ Hemi
#31 ·
Flowmaster Force II installed

Had the Flowmaster Force II cat back exhaust installed this morning by the local muffler shop.

I AM A HAPPY CAMPER. I had the stock 2014 R/T Classic exhaust with resonator delete. Loved the sound inside and outside the car but HATED the dreaded drone between 1750 & 1900 rpm. With the 5 speed automatic trans every time I pulled away from a stop light or sign the drone was heard 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th gears. With the Wife in the car I would accelerate to 2800 rpm and let it shift down to above 2000 rpm just to keep from her hearing/griping about "that terrible noise". Picked the car up this afternoon and at first thought it was too quiet, so I got out and went to the back of the car and heard a nice rumbling idle tone. Got in the car and drove away and as soon as the rpm picks up the exhaust note was noticeably louder but not as loud as the previous reso delete system. Pulled away from the first stop sigh and as the engine went through the 1750 to 1900 rpm area and past it there was absolutely no drone, just sweet beautiful 5.7 Hemi exhaust music. This Flowmaster Force (FF) II system in comprised of two series 44 flowmaster mufflers and a pair of flowmaster resonators and each exhaust tip. I stopped on a section of city road that is somewhat isolated and made a hard launch, not in Sport mode, and when the engine got to 5500 in 1st the music was gorgeous, 2nd gear to 5500 and by then I had wood. :burnout: What more can you ask for in an exhaust system than to hear it slightly at idle and then as you pull away from a stop the exhaust gets louder, but not obnoxious, and at full song it sounds like sweet 5.7 Hemi music through the Flowmaster Force II system. Thank You Flowmaster.

I couldn't be happier.

#33 ·
this is what I leaned 25 years ago with my stang when I had first installed flows is to put a thin coat of motor oil on your pipes so it wont rust and let the oil burn into the pipes!!

#34 · (Edited)
salvy59, years ago when I was hot rodding and building engines a machine shop mechanic told me to clean a brand new set of headers with lacquer thinner, then wipe them down with a red rag sopping wet with new, clean, transmission fluid (the red stuff). Let them drip dry, mount the headers on the engine, fire the engine up, turn a fan on to get the smoke out of the shop from the burning tranny fluid and after a few minutes and the smoke cleared the headers had a nice semi gloss sheen to them and that sheen NEVER went away. This didn't work on headers that had already been used, just brand new headers. :5:

But, what did your statement above have to do with flowmaster force II cat back exhaust system???

Reactions: salvy59
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.