Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....the 392 shaker cars are rated at 485 HP the same as the 392 SRT cars....does the shaker induction add more HP? you think it would....more cold air ....denser fuel / air charge....just like cowl induction on a muscle car. has anyone dyno'd the 392 SRT VS 392 shakers??

·
Vendor
12,555 Posts
yes and no, colder fresher air will affect performance, however most likely very minimal, anytime outside fresh air is introduce performance will be improve
Luke

·
Registered
116 Posts
Likely the 6 Spd vice the Auto transmission would make more difference. The 5.7L 6 spd is tuned differently than the 5.7 auto. 6 spd requires 91+ octane....Auto does not and it is published that the 6 spd is 375 HP, vice 373 HP for the Auto. Not sure if this is true for the 392 6 spd vs Auto.

Can't really see dyno result differences as the only slight advantage the extra air from the Shaker would be at top end when speed increases airflow. Even then the shaker is not high enough to get clean undisturbed air above the slipstream. It is functional and has a tube to the CAI box. It changes the sound prob more than it does the HP. Swap out the CAI box for a coleman cooler and throw some Ice in it might make more diff than the scoop or put a block of dry ice in the scoop......Lol (would look cool for halloween). I know the Demon uses the AC system to pump cold Air to the intake.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It’s not hurting performance as it’s bringing in cooler air but any potential gain won’t be measureable by your but or a Dyno. Basically a cool but overly expensive cosmetic throwback feature!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
....the 392 shaker cars are rated at 485 HP the same as the 392 SRT cars....does the shaker induction add more HP? you think it would....more cold air ....denser fuel / air charge....just like cowl induction on a muscle car. has anyone dyno'd the 392 SRT VS 392 shakers??
Please don't make a new thread about it. No one here is going to tell you yes regardless of how many threads you make.

·
Super Moderator
14,193 Posts
The shaker hood scoop on the 1970-71 Challenger and 'Cuda was supposed to provide about 5 hp. on the top end. Of course, with those cars, there was a direct ram air flow into the carburetor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well.....don't get testy boys.....I got more responses on this thread and some interesting reading too. no one actually answered the real question on my original thread.
IMO....when the car is moving your getting cooler air than what would normally be grabbed from around the engine under hood....which is the whole point of any cool air induction. with the shaker hood you have 2 cool air intakes...not one, like on the SRT. so as long as your pulling cooler air than what the under hood temp is your going to gain HP.....IMO.

good discussion and that's what this is all about ...isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I know the Demon uses the AC system to pump cold Air to the intake.
The Demon Power Chiller is cooling stand-alone low temp circuit in the supercharger.

The plenum has the water-to-air intercoolers built into the s/c and the A/C system can bring the intercooler temps down on a hot day or post run to get the temps down in those heat exchangers.

Its not feeding A/C air into the engine or intake.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
well.....don't get testy boys.....I got more responses on this thread and some interesting reading too. no one actually answered the real question on my original thread.
IMO....when the car is moving your getting cooler air than what would normally be grabbed from around the engine under hood....which is the whole point of any cool air induction. with the shaker hood you have 2 cool air intakes...not one, like on the SRT. so as long as your pulling cooler air than what the under hood temp is your going to gain HP.....IMO.

Or the other way to look at is if you're getting heat soak (& high IAT readings, which system will compensate fuel /timing to keep spark knock down) either from warm ambient temps or moving at slower speeds, picking hot air wash from radiator / exhaust / engine - with being able to pull in more outside cooler air - less heat soak effects.

Heat soak on warmer days was noticeable on my '09 R/T (M6) - I put the newer style IAT sensor (longer) and that helped - but with the high CR these engines have and trying to keep spark knock at bay - heat soak is a factor...

I also have the Mopar cold air duct that came out for the Mopar CAI that the Shakers use - so I have hood scoop, headlight port and the lower grill intake. (the Mopar '17 Challengers use this as well)

The duct fits right into that 3" x 3" square hole on the front side of the CAI airbox:

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
IMO....when the car is moving your getting cooler air than what would normally be grabbed from around the engine under hood....which is the whole point of any cool air induction. with the shaker hood you have 2 cool air intakes...not one, like on the SRT. so as long as your pulling cooler air than what the under hood temp is your going to gain HP.....IMO
Umm, no. The 392 Shaker makes 485 horsepower. Same as all the other 2015+ 392's. You got to stop making up things that just aren't true.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

Okay, dude. Whatever helps you sleep at night. :laugh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Umm, no. The 392 Shaker makes 485 horsepower. Same as all the other 2015+ 392's. You got to stop making up things that just aren't true.

making things up that aren't true....LOL.....ya I guess your right....after all you got nothing to back up your claims either...other than a good guess......so you must be right. :hat:

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

making things up that aren't true....LOL.....ya I guess your right....after all you got nothing to back up your claims either...other than a good guess......so you must be right.
You need some bum cream for your bum, pal?

You asked, we answered. Now you're hurt that we did not provide the answer you wanted.

Make up whatever truth keeps you mentally stable and go on about your life.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts