Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so heres a question. Had LTs installed last week and the PCM was removed to be sent off to get unlocked. I still got the theft notifications while it was gone for the week. Shouldnt it have run through the PCM? Just wondering because after it wss tuned getting 8 codes most are fuel system lean banks 1 and 2 and catylest below threshold. Gotta make the 11 hr drive again to return it to tuner shop just was hoping someone might know. I do also have some antitheft deal that flashes green by my right leg. Thanks

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,440 Posts
I cannot answer the question with any certainty, but I will say that PCM is the Powertrain Control Module, so I would not think it has anything to do with anti-theft.

Whatever the controlling module is probably tells the PCM to ignore start commands if it’s in “Unauthorized” status, but that’s being used in conjunction to, not in control of like you were asking.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thank.you. just basically asking to determine if maybe the PCM didnt get sent off? Surprising getting all tgese codes. P0133 P2096. P2098 P0430

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
Did you have the rear O2 sensors disabled?

looking at those codes makes me think the tune was modified to either ignore or otherwise disable feedback from the rear oxygen sensors, and something wasn’t done right in that pursuit.

But if you are taking it back to the tuner, he should be able to diagnose and fix the issue pretty quick, especially since he’s the one that made the changes.

Reactions: Dave D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The owner called me the other day of the shop and said they did not expect the computer to pull any codes because the SW headers have high flow cats. He said it is just being temperamental and to bring it in so I will. I was kind of concerned as someone said the locked PCM might accept some parameters, and they may have not sent it in to be unlocked which I was charged for. Just wanted ot be sure I got my money's worth as install and tune was 2100. What made me question things was when I got a lot of theft notifications from cars being started in proxinity etc; the notifications came when the PCM was out of the car. Also, should I trailer it to Phoenix or drive it? 5 hrs drive

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
The owner called me the other day of the shop and said they did not expect the computer to pull any codes because the SW headers have high flow cats. He said it is just being temperamental and to bring it in so I will. I was kind of concerned as someone said the locked PCM might accept some parameters, and they may have not sent it in to be unlocked which I was charged for. Just wanted ot be sure I got my money's worth as install and tune was 2100. What made me question things was when I got a lot of theft notifications from cars being started in proxinity etc; the notifications came when the PCM was out of the car. Also, should I trailer it to Phoenix or drive it? 5 hrs drive
The PCM would have to be unlocked to have the tune modified at all, so that sounds like it was done for sure.

Maybe they didn’t do any tuning of the rear O2 sensors to handle the non-stock cats but should have, IDK. I’m sure they’ll get it figured out though.

As for driving it there vs trailering it, I think you’ll be okay driving it. It would be ideal to trailer it, but if that is cost prohibitive, driving won’t cause any permanent damage.

The PCM will be mixing air/fuel in open loop mode mode the whole time since the CEL is illuminated, so your MPGs will be down. WOT engine operation is probably not a good idea either, at least not for an extended period of time, but a couple passing maneuvers here or there should be okay.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man thank you soo much! I figured it was done, but had heard from another challenger owner that the theft thing went thru the PCM so was wondering. Ok I do have a truck and trailer but might rather drive it there!

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
Based on the DTCs you posted earlier, I think it’s okay to drive there. If there are others, maybe not, depends on the codes.

If you unhook the battery (or just clear the codes manually), how quickly do they return? Any others that show up simultaneously with the O2 sensor ones?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ihavent cleared them yet as he wanted to see what codes were coming up. All of the codes seem to say fuel lean and catylest under threshold. I can rescan it if you think it may have others" have an Actron at home.

·
Premium Member
9,440 Posts
ihavent cleared them yet as he wanted to see what codes were coming up. All of the codes seem to say fuel lean and catylest under threshold. I can rescan it if you think it may have others" have an Actron at home.
The fuel lean ones give me pause. If you have some indicating a lean fuel situation is going on, driving is probably not a good idea

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had my buddy read what the pcm is doing via an alpha? Scanner. He plugged it in and looked at data. Said it is definitely unlocked Thank God! Had tge P1400 code showing. Said air fuel was spot on but o2s slow response and such. They were reading 894 xegrees on startup which he said was way too hot. But otherwise it seemed to be running right. He even let fans cycle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts