Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '12 R/T 6MT to the track for some fun. Only mods are a CAI and an exhaust resonator delete for a little extra noise, and a Barton shifter. I wasn't worried about ETs at all because I have stock-size all-season tires and my 60fts were terrible. My question is about my trap speed. The best I ever did out of several runs was 99.8 mph. This seems on the low side to me. Scanning the forums I see a lot of 102 mph, 103 mph, and some even higher for a stock car. The weather was pretty good and the DA iwas around 1400. I felt the car was running strong, and I even gave a newer 5.0 a good run. Any thoughts on the mph?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
86 Posts
That's pretty close for that DA. Every car is going to be a little different due to many different circumstances, driving style, weight in car, head or tail wind, etc.
We are heading to Gainesville this afternoon for points bracket racing & I'm hoping my scat will still run under 13's in this horrible air.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I think your 60' time will affect your top speed a little. Don't judge your car until you get your 60' where it belongs. I have seen my top speed vary by as much as 5-6 mph over the period of a year.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
That's within the realm of normal for that car and power level. Lots of things can affect trap speed. If you botched the launch, if you were shifting kind of slow, missed a gear, if the air filter was clogged, if the pressure was low that day, if there was a tailwind or headwind or crosswind, etc.

I would say you're on track. With a better launch, little better air, your trap speed will probably jump up to the 101-103mph range.

Some cheap/free type stuff you can try is pump your front tires up to 45psi, remove your air filter for passes, and run a little bit of race fuel in the tank (i.e. 1-1.5 gal of race fuel to 1/4 tank 93 pump gas). Those things will help you go a little quicker for not much effort.

But if you plan on racing more frequently, you're best bet is to get a set of 17" rims with some drag radials or bias ply slicks to help you get that 60ft time down.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The best I ever did in my R/T 6 speed on street tires was a [email protected] That being said, At that point I probably had between 50 and 100 runs of practice....and I also had a tune with raised rev limiter so I was probably shifting at 6200 rpm or so. If I were you, I would get a tuner. I can look up what I did closer to stock (pretune) but I am sure you will pick up a couple more mph with just more practice. Also find that rev limiter point on a stock tune and try to shift 100 rpm before that. All my races when I see a low mph....regardless of the car /engine....its almost always because I short shifted one of the gears

1 - 5 of 5 Posts