Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post. I have searched but did not find similar post already. Sorry if I am in the wrong place.

I am about to purchase a new Challenger R/T and would like to get the windows tinted. Will Dodge void my warranty? Are there steps I need to take like get dealer to organize?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Challenger Scat Pack WB PCP
2 Posts
My first post. I have searched but did not find similar post already. Sorry if I am in the wrong place.

I am about to purchase a new Challenger R/T and would like to get the windows tinted. Will Dodge void my warranty? Are there steps I need to take like get dealer to organize?

thanks.
My first post as well! LOL My dealership has a few tint companies they suggest for tinting (I'm sure there's kickbacks involved) so I can't see any way how it could effect warranty coverage. I can't think of anything a professional tint job could negatively impact in regards to warranty coverage. I've leased cars through FCA and Ally in the past and they never expressed any issue with it either. FWIW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No but make sure the Shop is got excellent Track Record and uses high Quality Films like 3m etc.,
Will do...thanks for the tip.

My first post as well! LOL My dealership has a few tint companies they suggest for tinting (I'm sure there's kickbacks involved) so I can't see any way how it could effect warranty coverage. I can't think of anything a professional tint job could negatively impact in regards to warranty coverage. I've leased cars through FCA and Ally in the past and they never expressed any issue with it either. FWIW.
Apparently the potential issue involves the removal of the window. Some manufacturers say the internal door can be damaged taking the window iut therefore it cancels the warranty,

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
Void warranty? Void is the wrong word. Some things you can do may restrict the warranty on certain things affected by what you did. So very few things you can do will void your entire warranty.

Now some window tinters who have tinted the windshield have dripped water behind the dash and have totally screwed up quite a few cars with all the electronics back there. That would not be a warranty issue, that would be between you and the shop.

So stay away from the windshield and you should have no issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Apparently the potential issue involves the removal of the window. Some manufacturers say the internal door can be damaged taking the window iut therefore it cancels the warranty,
If a tint company breaks something in the door when they take the door apart (if they take the door apart), obviously that broken part would not be covered under warranty.

No part of the warranty covers "self inflicted damage during unnecessary disassembly".

The only warranty issue I can think of, would be if after tinting a back glass, you have problems with the defroster grid or am/fm antenna, a picky dealer could suggest that it was because of the tint.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Why in gods name would you need to remove the window to tint it ???? Absolutely not necessary .

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts

thanks.
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama! Window tinting is probably one of the safest mods as far as your warranty goes.IMO. I am having trouble with my dealer letting me change out my mid mufflers though.

Welcome to the Forum from Alabama as well! I agree.

Void warranty? Void is the wrong word. Some things you can do may restrict the warranty on certain things affected by what you did. So very few things you can do will void your entire warranty.

Now some window tinters who have tinted the windshield have dripped water behind the dash and have totally screwed up quite a few cars with all the electronics back there. That would not be a warranty issue, that would be between you and the shop.

So stay away from the windshield and you should have no issues.

I agree, don't do the windshield. Pretty sure you could run into liability issues in the case of an accident.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Why in gods name would you need to remove the window to tint it ???? Absolutely not necessary .
I was just thinking the same thing. I have owned over 20 cars or trucks of all kinds in my life and I've had every single one of them tinted. I have never and I mean NEVER had one to where they had to take any window off of the vehicle. If a tint place is telling you they need to take a window out they are trying to rip you off by charging for things that aren't required.

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
I am having trouble with my dealer letting me change out my mid mufflers though.
The most they would do is refuse warranty on the exhaust actuators if one should happen to go out or start rattlling as some have been known to do. And if for whatever reason one of this pipe and muffler assemblies would ever need to be changed, holy cow those things are over $2 grand each!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Will do...thanks for the tip.

If a shop tells you they have to take out a window to tint it, go to another shop. Taking off door panels, I understand. But taking out windows should only be done if the glass needs to be replaced. Run away!

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
The most they would do is refuse warranty on the exhaust actuators if one should happen to go out or start rattlling as some have been known to do. And if for whatever reason one of this pipe and muffler assemblies would ever need to be changed, holy cow those things are over $2 grand each!

Yeah, I posted a tread on this awhile back. The idiot Service mgr at my dealer said if I change the mids it would void my entire drive train warranty. Now that I have my car I am going to visit some other dealers. Got 130 miles on it since yesterday. It's addictive. Sooo fun!

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
Yeah, I posted a tread on this awhile back. The idiot Service mgr at my dealer said if I change the mids it would void my entire drive train warranty. Now that I have my car I am going to visit some other dealers. Got 130 miles on it since yesterday. It's addictive. Sooo fun!
That dude is nuts and completely wrong. Good thing you found out about him now and good riddance.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Ford and chevy have been adding stuff at the dealer for years and covered by warranty. Key THEY the dealer has to install it. Heck some dealers add blowers and cover it !!

When I order my new PU, the CAI and exhaust with be installed before I get it and covered 100%

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
If a tint company breaks something in the door when they take the door apart (if they take the door apart), obviously that broken part would not be covered under warranty.

No part of the warranty covers "self inflicted damage during unnecessary disassembly".

The only warranty issue I can think of, would be if after tinting a back glass, you have problems with the defroster grid or am/fm antenna, a picky dealer could suggest that it was because of the tint.
Hey! I haven't gotten my windows tinted yet, but my rear defrosters, the top 3 lines aren't connected to the bottom grid, and they don't seem to turn on, is that natural? Are they activated some other way?

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
BTW u pick the wrong darkness and U WILL get pulled over for it. Check your state or ask the shop U take it to.

I am like 35% cause me old fart and eat cheerios ................

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
BTW u pick the wrong darkness and U WILL get pulled over for it. Check your state or ask the shop U take it to.

I am like 35% cause me old fart and eat cheerios ................
Eh, I've had 20% all round on my chevy cruze since '12. It's illegal af, but I've gotten away with it no issues. Gonna try my luck with the challenger. Worst case I gotta pay some fines or take it off.

They are your am/fm antenna I believe.
Oh? I thought that was like a little box, not defroster style lines. Nifty if it is though

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh? I thought that was like a little box, not defroster style lines. Nifty if it is though
The little box is the satellite radio antenna. The antenna grid in the back window is nothing new, manufacturers have been doing it for many years now. Incidentally, there are some types of tint that will screw with radio reception if laid over the antenna grid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts