Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Does your SRT8 have a differential whine?

• 2008 SRT8 YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2008 SRT 8 NO

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 2009 SRT 8 YES

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 2009 SRT 8 NO

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 2010 SRT 8 YES

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • 2010 SRT 8 NO

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 2011 SRT 8 YES

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • 2011 SRT 8 NO

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • 2011 RT w/STP YES

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 2011 RT w/STP NO

Votes: 1 2.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Like I said in another post, this is a Getrag thing.. Vettes have had this issue since 97, it's never been cured, GM won't even replace the differential because they say it's a non-issue. And on top of that, the six speed Vettes "rattle" when you pull in the clutch, again a non-issue.

I will chock the wine up to the gear set being more straight cut than a normal gear set, my 300C did not make this noise but it was not an SRT8 which likely has a stronger diff with straighter cut gears, versus more helical cut gears in the standard passenger differentials which would run quieter.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leading towards all of them have it. I say this because I bet some people just can't hear it for whatever reason. I know someone would have a hard time hearing it in my car. Kinda why I may not have the dealer look at it. I would love to know what MC88 says about it. Maybe he can ask SRT Engineering if the whine is normal and non service affecting.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
My bet is on it's "non service affecting" and I agree with you on the hearing.. I can hear very high frequency stuff, I hear things at work and ask if anyone else can hear it and nope... none of them can.. I can usually hear a hard drive going bad in a laptop a few weeks before it dies (bearing hum).

That's why I posted what I did about the Vettes, they have been using Getrag since 97 and they whine too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Like I said in another post, this is a Getrag thing.. Vettes have had this issue since 97, it's never been cured, GM won't even replace the differential because they say it's a non-issue. And on top of that, the six speed Vettes "rattle" when you pull in the clutch, again a non-issue.

I will chock the wine up to the gear set being more straight cut than a normal gear set, my 300C did not make this noise but it was not an SRT8 which likely has a stronger diff with straighter cut gears, versus more helical cut gears in the standard passenger differentials which would run quieter.
Never heard any complaints on the 2005 and up C6 Corvettes with axle whine. Lots of other complaints, and my 07 was quiet as can be. Now the 04-05 GTOs and original generation CTS Vs all had bad rear ends. I had my 05 GTO rear end replaced under warranty after just 4 months (that rear screamed from 25-60MPH, and it was almost unbearable at times). Worse sounding rear axle I've ever heard. My new one was good right up until about a month before I traded in and the sound started to come back. Never really did like that car.

I heard about all the rear issues on here before I bought my SRT and was afraid this was going to be another GTO issue, but so far, mines fine.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Never heard any complaints on the 2005 and up C6 Corvettes with axle whine. Lots of other complaints, and my 07 was quiet as can be. Now the 04-05 GTOs and original generation CTS Vs all had bad rear ends. I had my 05 GTO rear end replaced under warranty after just 4 months (that rear screamed from 25-60MPH, and it was almost unbearable at times). Worse sounding rear axle I've ever heard. My new one was good right up until about a month before I traded in and the sound started to come back. Never really did like that car.

I heard about all the rear issues on here before I bought my SRT and was afraid this was going to be another GTO issue, but so far, mines fine.

There are lots of complaints on C5 and C6 rear end whine.. Google it :) My 2000 did it, every C5 I was in did it.. Plus every stick I've ever been in, rattled when you pulled in the clutch. Neither of the issues was ever resolved as GM said it wasn't an issue.

We are not talking about a loud screaming whine like the rear end is about to fail.. There is nothing more than normal gear hum, it's not loud at all.. In fact with the stereo up more than say 10, you wouldn't hear it.. And with any cat back, you would likely never know it existed.

·
Registered
947 Posts
After one wheel hop incident, it has whined ever since, between 40-55 on deceleration. Going on 42k miles and I don't think its gotten worse.

I haven't had the dealer fix it b/c the next one is bound to do the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts