Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
2018 Billet Silver SRT 392 (1 of 2)
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondering if any of you haul around your dog in your Challenger (preferably looking for opinions on MY 2015 and above)? I'm hoping to order an SRT 392 soon and, while not the ideal situation, I'll be wanting to bring my Black Lab along with me on road trips. I was planning on folding the rear seats down and laying out some old blankets. He's my best friend and a great dog so I don't want to leave him behind when I go to visit family. It's a collision of my OCD and my love for my dog so I'm struggling a bit with the whole concept. He's nine years old and he'll stay in the back when I'm driving with no issues. That said, I am worried about him jumping in the front seat when I'm getting gas, visiting the restroom or something like that. He's an older dog and his nails are not the shortest. I realize he could puncture or, at the very least, scratch the leather.

Does anyone take their dog with them in their Challengers or am I just tempting disaster here? If you do, have you come up with any tricks or have found any products that would keep him in the back? I've seen a Challenger with both rear seats folded down and it looks like plenty of room for him to lay. I like to think that dogs > cars but, like I said, I've always been quite OCD with my other cars. I do own an Xterra and I have no qualms whatsoever bringing him in that. I know what you're thinking now - just drive the Xterra. Well, I can but I really want to drive my new Challenger on these road trips! I know, I know - first-world problems...

saint 0:)

Registered
I take my dog everywhere. Even in my charger with leather seats. I juat make sure to cover every inch of it in cloth

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Registered
2010 challenger r/t
Dickies for doggies

DICKIES, the maker of sweat clothes, makes a car backseat protector that is comfortable for large dogs, is clawproof, cleanable, and is waterproof. It has straps that loop around the backseat headrest. I purchased mine on amazon 9 years ago and it it still working well.

Attachments

Registered
2014 SRT Core
I like dogs but no dogs in my Challenger, that's what my truck is for.

Reactions: HDCowboy

Registered
Gunner (Great Dane) is too big to fit in the Challenger, but after I removed the passenger seat in my truck, he loves to go for a ride in the Ram Daytona.

Registered
Here I am answering my own post but I did find this. This could work...

I purchased something like that and couldn't use it. The rear seat head restraints are part of the seat and the strap wouldn't fit over them. If they had the 2 metal tubes "as pictured" it would have been fine. We have a 25lb mutt and I opted to cover the rear seat with a light weight blanket. I tuck it in on both sides of the seat and on top by the rear deck. I don't take the dog often, but I do occasionally.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased something like that and couldn't use it. The rear seat head restraints are part of the seat and the strap wouldn't fit over them. If they had the 2 metal tubes "as pictured" it would have been fine. We have a 25lb mutt and I opted to cover the rear seat with a light weight blanket. I tuck it in on both sides of the seat and on top by the rear deck. I don't take the dog often, but I do occasionally.
I'm disappointed to hear this. Thanks for sharing your experience with the product. I guess the search continues...

Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
Ok, she wasn't beautiful, but she was a fun date...

A Guy

Registered
My pup is a 65lb white pitbull that sheds like crazy... No way I'd let her in my SP with the suede seats... I'd be picking up hairs for years. In a pinch I used to bring her in my BMW 535 with a backseat dog hammock, and even after a full interior detail, i could still find her hair everywhere. I hate to think what my ac vents look like in my GX aka dog hauler.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
My pup is a 65lb white pitbull that sheds like crazy... No way I'd let her in my SP with the suede seats... I'd be picking up hairs for years. In a pinch I used to bring her in my BMW 535 with a backseat dog hammock, and even after a full interior detail, i could still find her hair everywhere. I hate to think what my ac vents look like in my GX aka dog hauler.
Yeah, that's another thing I'm worrying about - dog hair everywhere. It's definitely a dilemma!

Registered
Here I am answering my own post but I did find this. This could work...

I had this from Orvis, it worked perfectly fine. For the rear headrests, you have to open the straps as far as they will go. It's a tight fit, but it holds on the rear headrests. I took my dog everywhere, including to work with me every day, and that worked well for many years. The only time I hooked them to the front seats was on road trips, otherwise I never hooked them to the front.

Reactions: saint

Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6

Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
I take my Bulldog in the car.I lay a towel on the seat and one over the console.I don't have leather just that viper ballistic cloth.

Registered
I had this from Orvis, it worked perfectly fine. For the rear headrests, you have to open the straps as far as they will go. It's a tight fit, but it holds on the rear headrests. I took my dog everywhere, including to work with me every day, and that worked well for many years. The only time I hooked them to the front seats was on road trips, otherwise I never hooked them to the front.
Orvis? Since they work, I'll give them a shot! Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow, thank you SO much - this is great news! This forum is awesome! Cooper says thank you cuz now he can come along on the road trips I've got planned. Of course, I need to get the car first but that's just a minor detail.

Attachments

Registered
That's a good looking pup there.............I bought a 2017 Gt a few months back, I have two dogs, and they are in the car quite a bit, I throw down a blanket in the back & front seat..........no issues...............I seem to wreck more stuff in the car, then the dogs do.

This is my second car with leather seats..............the last leather didn't look too good after about 6-7 yrs.....I expect the same with this one..............its my DD so I don't worry about it much.

Rich

1 - 20 of 35 Posts