Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day, bumper to bumper traffic, wreck happens 2cars up, I get a smashed front end. Damage is pretty minor but I got lucky because of course me hitting the car in front of me was technically my fault, but she had no damage and didn't want cops and insurance to bed involved. So all repairs are coming out of my pocket for obvious reasons of wanting to keep ins company out of it, car-fax, etc. I've already decided that because of price and the bonus of no rams head, I'm going with the 2011 conversion, but the upper grille was also damaged so I need a new one of those too. Since I called the dealer and the grille is over 1000 bucks I figured I'd pick it up aftermarket, hopefully as a combo with the differently shaped lower grille as well.

My question is this. I'm looking to get out for as little money as possible, who has had luck finding a grille, hopefully as a combo with upper and lower, for a pretty good price. Preferably something other than the normal honeycomb, but I'm not opposed to it either. Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Better picture of the grill

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
J.C. Whitney had replacement aftermarket grilles reported by a member here. He also said the one he got was the last in stock ($89). I checked on line, and it is no longer listed.
Try to contact them and see if they are going to continue to offer these, or they gone forever.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did see one on jc Whitney, ran about 135. I'm just skeptical / nervous about the prices ranging from 70 to 150 for something that costs ove 1k at the dealer. Was curious if anyone had ever bought one these drastically less expensive ones, and if so, how the fitment/ quality was.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for the search. The member who originally mentioned this said it was identical
to the $1,000 Mopar. He got the $89 price because it was the last in stock at that time, maybe 3 months ago. Not that you would probably be interested for your car, but my idea was to buy two grilles cut and section together to elongate the grille. Remove the Stock headlights and replace with one single headlight on each side,for an extremely wide grille look. Thanks for the info that J.C. has them back. I'm going to give it a try for that price.
good luck on your fix!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the search. The member who originally mentioned this said it was identical
to the $1,000 Mopar. He got the $89 price because it was the last in stock at that time, maybe 3 months ago. Not that you would probably be interested for your car, but my idea was to buy two grilles cut and section together to elongate the grille. Remove the Stock headlights and replace with one single headlight on each side,for an extremely wide grille look. Thanks for the info that J.C. has them back. I'm going to give it a try for that price.
good luck on your fix!
That sounds wicked!! I've been toying with a similar idea of modifying the grille, by removing the honeycomb and doing some fabrication and mounting of servo motors to do a hideaway grille over the headlights that when extended, the headlight and turn signal are covered by a phantom style grille that looks like a continuation of the grille itself, then when retracted, the headlight is fully exposed(for night driving) and the only the turn signal is masked by the "phantom" grille. Have to get my buddies over in the mech engr building to help me out lol. Good luck with your fabrication endeavors!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Thanks for the complement. Forgot to mention my turn signal plan is where the running lights are. Thinking about yours, you may be able to modify any number of previous retractable assemblies to fit your plan. I think the 68 Camaro RS was one. Good luck,
have fun, stay safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts