Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys would recommend when roll racing?..manual auto downshifting shifting to keep the rpm's up at take off, or just keeping it in D at lower rpm's ?

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
You want the RPMs to be in the engine's power band when you nail the throttle. What gear you use depends on your starting speed. I'd say about 3,000 rpm would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Downshift while in Auto Drive to where you are in the Power band, I would almost say 4K rpms. Hit the throttle and the car will shift for you as long as you left it in Auto Drive and not Manual Drive.

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
I leave it in auto “d”

downshift wirh the paddle then floor it.

it doesnt shift for me , it stays in manual and wait for me to shift.

what could i be doing wrong?

i read many threads saying the same thing you guys are saying but its not working.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,745 Posts
I don't have paddles, nor race...and haven't rolled anything in years, so can't speak from experience

In temporary AutoStick mode (gear selector in DRIVE), the transmission will automatically shift up when maximum engine speed is reached. If the accelerator is fully depressed, the transmission will downshift when possible (based on current vehicle speed and gear, except 6.4L models). Lack of accelerator pedal activity will cause the transmission to revert to automatic operation.

Page 161 in the manual

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
327 Posts
Lack of accelerator pedal activity will cause the transmission to revert to automatic operation.

Page 161 in the manual

A Guy
You think if i fully depress the pedal for a second right after down shifting then flooring it will do it ?

will give it a try next time ... but i still wish to know why is it not working like everyone.

lol btw still waiting On a reply from fca through the dealership regarding the amber hallows .

Thanks again for all the help captin (y)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,745 Posts
I think it only upshifts by itself when in temporary autostick mode, but that will remain long enough for a race I'd think, needs an amount of time between shifts for it to disengage

A Guy

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I leave it in auto “d”

downshift wirh the paddle then floor it.

it doesnt shift for me , it stays in manual and wait for me to shift.

what could i be doing wrong?

i read many threads saying the same thing you guys are saying but its not working.
In automatic mode you can use the -paddle pulling it back and holding it and the transmission will shift down a number of gears until the lowest gear without subjecting the engine to an overrev condition is reached.

However, as is the case with just tugging on the -paddle or the +paddle one time the transmission reverts to manual mode and remains in manual mode for a while. If you hard accelerate the transmission will not upshift as the RPMs approach red line.

Have not really tested this, but I believe if you leave the transmission in automatic model and "slam" the gas pedal to the floor the transmission will down shift to select the ideal gear for the acceleration the operator is demanding. In this case the transmission remains in automatic mode and will upshift as the engines approach red line.

You can test for the above behavior easy enough if you find a suitable stretch of highway.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The best way to do it is get to the speed you’re going to take off from. Then push and HOLD your left paddle. The car will downshift into the best gear that puts you right into the meat of the powerband.
Then nail it and let the computer shift because it will shift at redline on its own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me I put the car in manual mode shift down to second, when it's go time floor it and push the stick back over in auto, the car will do the rest. 😎

·
Registered
967 Posts
The best way to do it is get to the speed you’re going to take off from. Then push and HOLD your left paddle. The car will downshift into the best gear that puts you right into the meat of the powerband.
Then nail it and let the computer shift because it will shift at redline on its own.
you can use the paddle in drive? I never even tried this. Holding it down does what?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,037 Posts
When I do this, it will not upshift on its own.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
you can use the paddle in drive? I never even tried this. Holding it down does what?
It is all covered in the manual, such as
"
Holding the (-) paddle depressed (if equipped), or
holding the gear selector in the (-) position, will downshift
the transmission to the lowest gear possible at the
current speed.
"
If you use it in Drive, it will hold that gear for a while, but at part throttle cruise it will revert back to automatic mode.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,229 Posts
Put it in sport mode and stand on it.

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
When I do this, it will not upshift on its own.
Mine does. Does yours sit there and bounce off the rev limiter then?
Are you in sport mode?

Put it in sport mode and stand on it.
Definitely not the fastest. You will be at a cruise RPM (low) and the other guy will be gone by the time the car gets down into the proper gear to get the most acceleration.

Yes. If you hold it in it will drop down the proper amount of gears to be right at the perfect rpm to launch and then the computer will still upshift at redline on its own. At least mine does (16' Scat Pack).

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Mine does. Does yours sit there and bounce off the rev limiter then?
Are you in sport mode?
I'll double check next time out, maybe lunch today, I need to make a coffee K-Cup run.
I use the paddles all the time, literally every time I drive it. But I don't get on it hard that often. I typically use them to downshift when slowing down for a light or stop sign, and to avoid the delay getting into first.
Also, when I say "using the paddles" actually when going full "M" mode (shifter to the left) I typically use the shifter to manually shift, not the paddles. I absolutely love how it simulates a reverse pattern manual valve body perfectly. Plus when using the T-Handle it NEVER does that annoying "Downshift when hitting upshift paddle" crap. My 2015 Charger was the same exact way. 2nd or 3rd gear mid-low RPM, tap upshift, and it downshifts and you're at 5K RPM when you are trying to pull out nice and easy. I can only assume it is with the multiplexed resistance for all the steering wheel buttons, and the PCM making quick shift decisions, but the actual shifter must be actually wired to send an exact UP/Down signal.
Anyway, to sum up, I'll check!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I'll double check next time out, maybe lunch today, I need to make a coffee K-Cup run.
I use the paddles all the time, literally every time I drive it. But I don't get on it hard that often. I typically use them to downshift when slowing down for a light or stop sign, and to avoid the delay getting into first.
Also, when I say "using the paddles" actually when going full "M" mode (shifter to the left) I typically use the shifter to manually shift, not the paddles. I absolutely love how it simulates a reverse pattern manual valve body perfectly. Plus when using the T-Handle it NEVER does that annoying "Downshift when hitting upshift paddle" crap. My 2015 Charger was the same exact way. 2nd or 3rd gear mid-low RPM, tap upshift, and it downshifts and you're at 5K RPM when you are trying to pull out nice and easy. I can only assume it is with the multiplexed resistance for all the steering wheel buttons, and the PCM making quick shift decisions, but the actual shifter must be actually wired to send an exact UP/Down signal.
Anyway, to sum up, I'll check!
OK, I tested again today, in "D" downshifted with paddle, down to 1 at a light, rolled out, hit 2, then jumped on it
IT DID AUTO UPSHIFT TO 3
And this was in normal mode, not sport mode, I'll try again in Sport mode for kicks without my wife in the car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts