Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Challenger and it is my understanding that adding Apple Carplay is a hardware problem not just a software upgrade. Assuming that is true, I just found that several vendors (one is Carlinkit) on Amazon are selling USB dongles they say will allow you to add it to my older head unit. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and whether they had any success.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,470 Posts
From what I see you have to install an APK file ON the head unit. I don't think this is/ever will be possible as Uconnect doesn't use the Android OS. I know they added Android auto, but that runs on the phone. Supposedly FCA was going to roll out new head units using the Android OS, but I've seen no sign of that

A Guy

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I see you have to install an APK file ON the head unit. I don't think this is/ever will be possible as Uconnect doesn't use the Android OS. I know they added Android auto, but that runs on the phone. Supposedly FCA was going to roll out new head units using the Android OS, but I've seen no sign of that

A Guy
Thanks. The seller wasn't clear and they will sell you anything on Amazon and ebay. I have literally seen bogus adapter cables with two plugs on them that couldn't possible do what they were advertising (analog to digital connections with nothing but a cable and two connectors).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the 7in. Uag radio for my 17 base model sxt, the uag 7in is already equipped with appley car play and adroid auto, purchased the dual usb hub as well from the dealership as well, plugged everything in but never got apple car play to work. My phone would notify me if i wanted to use car play but for some reason it would never pop on the screen. Idk if there something in bcm that allows car play to work or does it need to be enabled by the dealership

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,470 Posts
Never mind me, lol

A Guy

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have a 2015 Challenger and it is my understanding that adding Apple Carplay is a hardware problem not just a software upgrade. Assuming that is true, I just found that several vendors (one is Carlinkit) on Amazon are selling USB dongles they say will allow you to add it to my older head unit. Just wondering if anyone has tried this and whether they had any success.

Thanks!

Bob
I bought an 8.4 UAS (non-nav) radio from an online retailer. I use Android auto all the time to have nav on the big screen. I just plug it into the USB port, after installing Android Auto app on my phone.
Not sure if there is another 8.4 radio or something to fit our cars, but mine works fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the 7in. Uag radio for my 17 base model sxt, the uag 7in is already equipped with appley car play and adroid auto, purchased the dual usb hub as well from the dealership as well, plugged everything in but never got apple car play to work. My phone would notify me if i wanted to use car play but for some reason it would never pop on the screen. Idk if there something in bcm that allows car play to work or does it need to be enabled by the dealership
Hi. I have a 2015 Charger with a 8.4" RA4 unit.
I updated it to a UCG (Canadian UAG) from a 2019 Charger.
I also updated the media hub to the one that come with a 2019 Charger : 68294075AC

Everything works... EXCEPT CarPlay, Android Auto, and I also lost Sport Mode.

I do have a B222C code in the radio (Vehicle configuration not programmed) which means my 2015 BCM is missing some settings.

I also had to have the dealer update the TCM as the car was no longer shifting (!!!) with the new radio.

This is a work in progress. I am posting the info here as I have the exact symptoms like michael454rs, and Charger/Challenger share a lot of the electronics. Hope this helps someone.

Next step for me is to try to program 2 missing settings in the BCM, which might fix CarPlay/Android Auto, and if I can't, I will attempt swapping my BCM with one from a 2019 Charger (which I will have to entirely reprogram, not for the faint of the heart).

It would be VERY nice if someone with a 7" UAG/UCG and who has Android Auto and CarPlay working, could use AlfaObd and post a BCM dump. Even if you read this post in a few weeks or months, please do it if you can, it will help people trying to do this type of retrofit !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I've had the same problems, looking for a solution.
Did someone ever resolve this situation?
I have a 2015 Challenger SXT with the 5 inch Uconnect.
I've swapped the Uconnect with the 7inch, also the newer hub that support Carplay and Android Auto.
Anyway, everything on the Uconnect works, except Carplay and Android Auto and I also like the others lost Sport Mode.
If anyone found a solution to this problem it would be amazing if that someone shares what he did in order to get Carplay and Android Auto to work.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Here is a copy of a post I published here in another forum.
TL;DR you can make it work

My car is a 2015 Dodge Charger with a uConnect 7 from a 2019 Charger with CarPlay working fine.

-----------

Hi

I made it work.

I used a UAG uConnect 7" from a 2019 Charger.
I had to change the Media Hub (the part with the two USB ports in the center console) to the 2019 version too.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you ALSO NEED to reprogram the BCM so that the correct Media Hub type is selected, or you won't get CarPlay/Android Auto.

AND I had to have the dealership reprogram the TCM (flash to a newer firmware version), otherwise the car would no longer shift (!!!). I hope you have a friendly dealership because it is not sure they will be willing to do it.

However, the UAG seems to be sold only on the base models. So you will loose any advanced feature, such as suspension control, assisted steering force, and sport mode unfortunately.

In my case I had to choose between CarPlay/Android Auto (UAG) or Sport mode (RA4). I chose UAG :D

I am not desperate for the SPORT mode, I will see if I can trigger it manually over the CAN bus.

Unfortunately the few people who have information over the CAN bus seem very unwilling to share anything, which I find is too bad (pride ? money ? a bit of both ?).

PS: Choose the proper UAG depending if your car has SIRIUS XM or not.
In my case , I used a UAG without SXM, but my car has a SXM antenna, so the FAKRA connectors were not the same and did not fit. So I used an off-the-shelf FAKRA GPS antenna which I tucked below the dash, but ideally, if I chose the right UAG instead, I could have connected the combined SXM/GPS antenna and used the antenna on the roof for a better GPS signal (the UAG DOES NOT have GPS navigation inside but it sends the phone the current GPS position to take advantage of the vehicle GPS antenna which has a better signal than the phone can have inside the vehicle).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Uski, thank you for the fast reply!
You gave me some good and some bad news.
First I want to ask what exactly does it mean to reprogram the BCM, second if it needs to be reprogrammed like you said, who can do that only the dealership or someone with the right tools.
I'm asking because I'm not from the USA and in my country there isn't official Dodge Dealership, there was a couple of years ago, but unfortunately it closed.
And final question if I buy a BCM from let's say 2017 and up car and change it into my car, will the car recognize the new BCM and work without problems, or does the new BCM also needs to be reprogrammed . I will wait for your reply.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
342 Posts
Hi,

Here is a copy of a post I published here in another forum.
TL;DR you can make it work

My car is a 2015 Dodge Charger with a uConnect 7 from a 2019 Charger with CarPlay working fine.

-----------

Hi

I made it work.

I used a UAG uConnect 7" from a 2019 Charger.
I had to change the Media Hub (the part with the two USB ports in the center console) to the 2019 version too.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY you ALSO NEED to reprogram the BCM so that the correct Media Hub type is selected, or you won't get CarPlay/Android Auto.

AND I had to have the dealership reprogram the TCM (flash to a newer firmware version), otherwise the car would no longer shift (!!!). I hope you have a friendly dealership because it is not sure they will be willing to do it.

However, the UAG seems to be sold only on the base models. So you will loose any advanced feature, such as suspension control, assisted steering force, and sport mode unfortunately.

In my case I had to choose between CarPlay/Android Auto (UAG) or Sport mode (RA4). I chose UAG :D

I am not desperate for the SPORT mode, I will see if I can trigger it manually over the CAN bus.

Unfortunately the few people who have information over the CAN bus seem very unwilling to share anything, which I find is too bad (pride ? money ? a bit of both ?).

PS: Choose the proper UAG depending if your car has SIRIUS XM or not.
In my case , I used a UAG without SXM, but my car has a SXM antenna, so the FAKRA connectors were not the same and did not fit. So I used an off-the-shelf FAKRA GPS antenna which I tucked below the dash, but ideally, if I chose the right UAG instead, I could have connected the combined SXM/GPS antenna and used the antenna on the roof for a better GPS signal (the UAG DOES NOT have GPS navigation inside but it sends the phone the current GPS position to take advantage of the vehicle GPS antenna which has a better signal than the phone can have inside the vehicle).
I find it interesting that all that is necessary because I know you can buy an updated head unit and usb stack from infotainment.com and they say it’s just plug and play, never mention anything about getting anything reprogrammed

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I find it interesting that all that is necessary because I know you can buy an updated head unit and usb stack from infotainment.com and they say it’s just plug and play, never mention anything about getting anything reprogrammed
When you buy from Infotainment, they say it is reprogrammed already so it works or so they claim. They do say sports pages, heated/ventilated seats etc don't work though after this. Carplay does.

I have a 15 Challenger HC and I have been pondering trying this. I was wondering if a tazer would restore anything after the switch out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts