Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 R/T Plus and since I started doing some road courses last October. (Sonoma last October, then I joined NASA and have done Wild Horse Pass East track twice, and Chuckwalla this past weekend) I've been working on brakes. 1st thing I did for Sonoma, was Stainless steel hoses and high temp fluid (Wilwood), and put EBC Blue pads on the front. That worked fairly well but wasn't enough.

Last month I put Power Stop Z26 drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads on all 4 corners. That was a step backward. Fine for the street, but no performance setup! For Chuckwalla last weekend, which I knew was a longer, faster track, I put Hawk track pads on the front, on the drilled rotors. I bedded them in before the weekend. 1st run, brakes were ok, not spectacular, improved, felt kind of "grindy" but had more bite which is what I was looking for. 4 th run on Saturday, I was convinced I'd picked up a ton of rubber off the track, huge vibration, rear end very loose. Sunday morning as I'm checking pressures, I realized both front rotors have numerous cracks.

So I run to Autozone, hour each way, get some stock solid rotors, put them on, miss the first run of the day, get in on the 2nd, and for the first time all weekend, even though I don't know the course (they'd reversed it to counterclockwise for Sunday) and I was figuring out the line on my own, I had brakes, and I was getting some speed. Next run felt much better as I pushed late-braking hard. It bit hard, no grinding, no vibration.

BTW, other thing I'd done before this weekend was put some ducts and hoses in, but I still need to finish it, modify the brake shields so I can get the air going through them onto the rotor. So we're getting there, but extremely frustrating.

At this point, even though my plan had been not to do too much to my R/T because I love that car, I'd planned to build a wrecked car into a race car. But I don't see the project car happening for at least a year, so I think I'm going to find some used Brembo 4 piston brakes front and rear, and the knuckles that match them, and install them. I really don't think there is a heck of a lot more I can do with these factory 2piston front, single piston rear R/T brakes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts