Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Those are not the lights, those are doors that open up when you turn the headlights on.

If you have enough money, you can do anything.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
hey - no problem - I have always loved the RS headlight bezels - Yes you do it by hand forming them from flat steel stock around a wooden form- a little grinding and VOILA~Mount them OVER the stock headlights so the chrome edge shows!!! :)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yeah, those are both vacuum operated doors. I had a '69 RS with those. I always thought the hideaway headlights were cool.

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts
Hidden headlights are cool, but they can be a real PITA. I had a lot of problems with the actuators on my 1968 Charger and 1986 Firebird.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Hidden headlights are cool, but they can be a real PITA. I had a lot of problems with the actuators on my 1968 Charger and 1986 Firebird.
You're right. I think the OP and even another post doesn't realize this is a door system, not just headlight covers. When you cover you lights there has to be a way that the covers slide over (Camaro RS), or flip up (vintage Charger, Corvettes, etc.)

That's a pretty big project IMHO unless someone has done the engineering work and come up with a bolt on/plug in system. It's certainly more than beating sheet metal over a wooden form. I think that post was joking.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Can the lights be made to look like this?

I know it's a chevy, and I love my dodge... but i was just curious..
How about... When hell freezes over!

Mod up some Gen2 69-70 Charger head light doors if you need them hidden.
But no Chevy doors on a mopar... unless of course it's speeding into a pair of bulldozers. :satan: :up_to_something:

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
It's certainly more than beating sheet metal over a wooden form. I think that post was joking.
ActuallyI was serious :)

You can form the rectangular rings of the bezels out of flat stock (NOT sheet metal) - mount them to a rear frame - chrome them - paint frame black - and mount over the headlights

This would give you approximately the same LOOK without covers

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess this is my fault. I was looking for the "Look" of that car, not really converting it so it flips. Just my own ignorance. But. if there was a conversion kit or something to simply give that look, I would be interested. Granted... not sure how much light would get through..

thanks for all of the help

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
Actually I was thinking last night that you could buy the CLEAR headlight covers - mask off the SHAPE of the bezels - paint white where the bezel edges wuld be - and mount

that would be a DIFFERENT look and would not block the lights for safety inspection (covers are removable)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts