Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Don't like Aftermarket stereo

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  08blackrt 
#1 ·
HI all, my 2012 SRT8 (4000 miles) came (from Hawaii) with an aftermarket stereo, which I don't care for. It's an Alpine IVA-NAV-20, 2 PDX-M12 Amps and 2 Alpine subwoofers. It seems to have all the proper cable attachments, etc.
I have no documentation for the stereo, who the installer was, etc.
My problems are:
  1. Whining noise when the unit is on, especially at low rpms. Mirror microphone is not used, an Alpine one is clipped to the headliner for bluetooth. Extra 'antennae' are mounted on the front of the dash.
  2. Plays only 1 FM station, period.
  3. Does not display time when unit is off, so there is no digital clock unless the unit is on and whines.
  4. Nav. system is 'ok'
  5. Main display controls are unavailable due to incomplete installation, amps and speakers impinge on my trunk space by raising the deck, and my inflation kit is missing.
I realize some of this should (and has) been taken up with the selling dealer.
Tho' I'm a bit of an audiophile, when I'm driving I prefer to listen to the stereo pipes :spineyes:at the rear of this great car. If I want media sound, I listen to some AM stations and a few FMs. I can play all my Itunes music from a USB Zipdrive. I want a built in NAV. I don't need the extra power of auxiliary amps or speakers to play music that I cannot appreciate while driving anyway.
Has anyone removed/swapped for stock, OR is anyone interested in a swap for these units? I could use some suggestions. I'm going to a local stereo shop to seek some advice.
Thanks everyone!

See less See more
#2 ·
The whining noise could be several different things. The first thing I would do is check to make sure the power wires and rca cables are not run next to each other. If that looks OK, then I would check the ground on the amps. Make sure they are grounded properly. I would also check to see that the gains on the amp are adjusted correctly. Good Luck..

#3 ·
If the above doesn't solve it, take it to a car audio place and let them look at it.

Years ago, I had an aftermarket stereo and amp installed at a place that was next to where I worked. It was handy and I just dropped it off and went to work, and picked it up at lunchtime. Big mistake. I complained about the huge whine it had, to the point it sounded like an old fashioned police siren was being played through it when I accelerated. They basically had the attitude, "That's what they do!". It pissed me off and I went to another place across town and asked them to check it out and they found about 3 things the original installer did wrong, mostly the amp to HU connects were taped to the battery cable, and a ground was "iffy". An hour later, the whine was gone, and it sounded a lot better. They only charged me $20 to fix it! I went back a few days later and had some Dynamat put into my doors and floor of the car, and it sounded great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.