Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. How hard/difficult is it to remove passenger door panel? The reason I ask is I hit something on the highway at night and the object bounched up and hit dead center of door but very low, so I was thinking of popping the dent back out and use some touch up paint. The dent is smaller then a finger nail. Just can't see spending 400-600 bucks for body shop to repair. I'm sick to my stomach that this even happened but happens I guess. Thanks

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
Hello all. How hard/difficult is it to remove passenger door panel? The reason I ask is I hit something on the highway at night and the object bounched up and hit dead center of door but very low, so I was thinking of popping the dent back out and use some touch up paint. The dent is smaller then a finger nail. Just can't see spending 400-600 bucks for body shop to repair. I'm sick to my stomach that this even happened but happens I guess. Thanks

Mopar or No Car
Not hard at all, just take your time, the door (for the 1st time you remove it) will not want to release it's retainers. There are 3 screws under the bottom of the door that have to be removed and 2 screws that are behind little panels, 1 on the door pull-top and 1 behind the inner door handle that have to be removed. There is another small black plastic retainer that pops out to near the bottom edge door hinge area that also has to come out. The door will also have some disconnects for the electrical items once you remove it and the inner door cable release as well. I have removed dozens of these doors. There are videos out there on YouTube.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Good info from Hunttriumph1500. In addition, here is a link-back to one of threads here on the forum that I used when replacing the speakers in my 2016. It shows how to remove the door panels step by step complete with photos.

----------------------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Very easy. Some screws and push pins is all there is. The only tricky part is getting the door handle rod back in to it's clip upon reassembly. Helps A LOT to have someone help you hold the panel while you clip it back in. I did it by myself, but had to balance the panel on a cardboard box to do it. Good luck. ;)

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the information. I may try it. It just makes me sick to see it and know it's there

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’m a professional body man, with some experience in PDR (paintless dent repair) as well. If the dent is as small as you say, chances are good the metal is slightly stretched, and won’t just pop back out. A PDR guy could massage it back out and then you could use touch up paint. I doubt for a single dent a good PDR guy would charge more than $50.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had my driver side door dented, some idiot backed into it. just barely scratched and dented the door. I was able to pull some dents out while heating the metal but still looks damanged. This happaned 3 months into owning her. it's just the outer panel that's damaged. Is it possible to just replace the outer door panel instead of the whole door?

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
I also had my driver side door dented, some idiot backed into it. just barely scratched and dented the door. I was able to pull some dents out while heating the metal but still looks damanged. This happaned 3 months into owning her. it's just the outer panel that's damaged. Is it possible to just replace the outer door panel instead of the whole door?
Yes, but no, you would want to attempt it. The door outer flange is stamped over the inner panel flange. Technically you could do it, but not even a seasoned body man would try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts