Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i thought i would right a quick bit about replaceing the interior window trim on the door panel that EVERYONE has either had or will have crack..

i think the reason why they crack is 2 fold.. one.. there is 2 notches in the plastic trim and where them notches are brand new right out of the package they have this week line right there ( kinda white ) like it has been stressed. both of the pcs have them on BOTH ENDS.. i think that and the fact they have a ton of staples and that doesn't allow what i feel is enough expansion on the cold and how months it is to FIXED to the door..

It is easy to do.. there is a how to video on youtube on how to take the door apart

take the push pins out.. ( and yes if you push the pin in to far don't worry you can pull away the factory plastic insulation and get the pins out of the bottom of the door, take the 5 phillips screws out ( 3 on the bottom ) ( 1 in the tab behind the handle the other in the tab behind the door release lever ) take off your door lock pin and pull out and up.

there is NO hooks they are push clips that go in.. no need to yank up.. gm cars have hooks that go into a slot that is what i was used to before this anyway

once you get it pulled off there is the door handle rod to undo.. take that out and unplug the door lock buttons and the window button and the little white plug for the eluminated door handle if you have one

when i put the trim on i cut all the staples off the old one.. i test fit the new one.. then in the 2 notched areas and the ends i put a dab of SILICONE ADHESIVE to help hold it in place.. it already sits on the lip of the door but i didn't want to mess with restapleing it as i think that is part of the problem anyway. ( the glass will not touch it anyway so really there is nothing for it to hang up on )

once i have that back in place.. just connect your stuff.. ( NOTE) it is easier to put the door lock rod on 1st.. then connect all the electrical harness and the finally pull the door lock pin rod threw the hole.

then simply hook the top of the door panel back on the lip and push the panel back in place, put your push pins back in then put your screws in and you are done.

NOW one thing i have been wanting to find out and that nobody seamed to know, was the thread pitch of the door lock pins.. i have some alum ones and they where hard to get on.. well the thread pitch is 10-24 unc. i chased the threads and they went on real nice after that..

here are some pics of the connections. door lock rod and the clips that hold the door in place, and where the staples are. notice in the one pic you can see all the staples and where it cracked ( pic with the white push in tree ) the door lock rod you have to flop over the yellow clip ( toward the cabin of the car ) then just pull up and it comes out.

any questions hit me up

Attachments

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, man. Mine's are fine so far, but I know it happens a lot so I'll keep this info handy. Reps for you! Oh, we don't do that. Well, thanks, then. :bigthumb:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts