Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the door insert color from stock black into red. These cars (IMO) are just too much black on black on black on black...

So, has anyone changed the inserts to a different color, and if you have can you post a picture and give me some hints on the best way to take off the door panels? Thanks very much in advance!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Bump

I'm hoping someone can chime in on this as well. I'd like to see if I could get an interior shop that could make an overlay that would start off black and transition to red via the strobe pattern I'm using in my Badges and embroidered pieces. I hear you on the too much black for now I've added piping but I'd like to get some more color into the doors. If I didn't have the sunroof I'm pretty sure it'd feel like a cave in there.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I like the all-black interior myself, but I'm planning to replace the inserts with black perforated vinyl to cover the cloth. Unfortunately, those who've done it, to one exception (S/S Dodge), I believe, had an upholstery shop do it. The reason is that the inserts cannot be removed and are an integral part of the door panel. Check out these threads (and I'm not about to go that far myself): http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f17/wtb-door-panel-inserts-door-arm-rests-38363/ and http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/removing-door-bolsters-29811/.

What is done is gluing the material over the existing insert. I'm gonna do that without taking the door skin off or breaking the panels in two... just too busy and chicken for now. But any upholstery shop can do that easily for you.

Reactions: RunningWithBeers

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for the info looking at it apart and the fact it was built not to come part makes me think it's a job that probably is worth paying someone else to do at some point. I'll have to figure out if i want to have my AAR patches sewn into a red insert or if I'd rather try to get the 7 bar strobe striping done. I'm guessing the pataches would be the much less costly approach...

Take it easy
Jay

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the doors done when I had the interior done. It was just too blah. Grey inserts on the doors to match the center of the seats...that match the hood stripe.
Hey retro, what material did they use/ I'm thinking a very good quality vinyl that looks like leather would work and be less costly?

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
As a member of People for the Ethical Treatment of Naugas, I must object!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I did mine by going to the local fabric store and buying blue naugahyde, cutting pieces an extra inch bigger on all sides of the insert, then I carefully tucked the vinyl in behind the existing insert panel. I used no glue. If one were to push on the more curved sections you would notice a taut slackness, but there is no sagging even after 4 1/2 years.

I'm not able to upload a pic here at work, but look for my pictures in the automatic shifter thread, post #47. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f39/post-your-automatic-shifters-101208/index5.html

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I did mine by going to the local fabric store and buying blue naugahyde, cutting pieces an extra inch bigger on all sides of the insert, then I carefully tucked the vinyl in behind the existing insert panel. I used no glue.
I'd use glue and I'm more and more tempted to do it myself, but can you really squeeze up to one inch in there?

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I'd use glue and I'm more and more tempted to do it myself, but can you really squeeze up to one inch in there?
The inch was pretty much a starting amount. As I worked around the perimeter I trimmed it down further to somewhere around 1/2 inch. The one inch was just so I wouldn't cut and cut and cut and still be too small!

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, phargophil; that's kind of what I had planned to do myself in my head. I've got to plan it right because I'll be gluing the fabric... and that's why I'm still sitting on my hands with this mod. One shot. :scared:

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
You'll do fine, USRWDV8. Please remember that I tucked the extra in on all sides, including the one right next to the armrest.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Yep, I'm planning for that too. Might end up doing dry runs, like you did, to see how it looks and works out with the pieces.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Just for reference, here is how mine turned out.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I wanted color but liked the black suede still in the door. So we we added a diamond tuck to tge arm rest n green thread around the controls.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It's a dark pick sorry

·
Registered
860 Posts
Did mine myself also, very similar to Phargophil. Went to a fabric store and found what I liked. I chose white vinyl to match the seat covers. Measured it out and cut it a bit bigger and trimmed it as I went. Got some 3M heavy duty spray at the autoparts store and glued it on. Then used the piping to clean up the edges. Spent less than $30 total.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
OVERWRKD,
Your overall interior looks really sharp! Nice work!

georgethedog,
My chrome edging is simply 1/4" wide stick on molding. It didn't seem to like to stick in the sharper corners, so a little Gorilla glue persuaded it.

Reactions: overwrkd
1 - 20 of 26 Posts