Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 challenger sxt with the baseline 6 spkr sound system (Worse than the alpine 6spkr) Ive had two 12" subs added and now I want to replace the 6x9s in the door myself.

does anyone know if I'll have room for the Pioneer TS-A6996R? they're 3-3/8" deep.:grin2:

·
Registered
185 Posts
According to Crutchfield, no.

I just put Infinity Reference REF-9622IX in my doors and they are listed as 3-1/8" but I had to remove a portion of the housing that holds the factory speakers to get them to fit. Wasn't a big deal - took 5 minutes with a coping saw, they are soft plastic.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The door speakers only receive mid-bass sounds, so you may be paying for a lot of speaker that won't be used, too. The depth isn't only the only limiting factor, too. The diameter of the magnet can also determine where it may come in contact with something. If you're willing to cut a little plastic, they will probably fit, but you also may be removing something that is designed to keep the speakers dry.

I put the Infinity reference speakers in my 2015, and didn't need to do any cutting, as long as I used the spacers that came with the speakers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The door speakers only receive mid-bass sounds, so you may be paying for a lot of speaker that won't be used, too. The depth isn't only the only limiting factor, too. The diameter of the magnet can also determine where it may come in contact with something. If you're willing to cut a little plastic, they will probably fit, but you also may be removing something that is designed to keep the speakers dry.

I put the Infinity reference speakers in my 2015, and didn't need to do any cutting, as long as I used the spacers that came with the speakers.
Interesting - even with the spacer I needed to cut the back off the plastic piece. Haven't had any issues with moisture.... yet...

Also - not sure where the crossover is on either the headunit nor the tweeters in the ones I put in but when I would initiate the 0db / +3db button on the speakers, there was no question that SOME of the high end was making it to the tweeter in the door speakers.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Interesting - even with the spacer I needed to cut the back off the plastic piece. Haven't had any issues with moisture.... yet...

Also - not sure where the crossover is on either the headunit nor the tweeters in the ones I put in but when I would initiate the 0db / +3db button on the speakers, there was no question that SOME of the high end was making it to the tweeter in the door speakers.
Moisture probably won't be an issue unless the window whiskers get crappy. My speakers were actually Infinity Reference REF-9620cx component speakers, so the magnets may be a different size. It is 3 1/16 depth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
actually I've tested it 5 times all the speakers in my car receive Full signal except the 3.5" up front they play everything but bass apparently this isn't normal, I don't know if the shop that installed my subs did some ReWiring are if this is just the nature of the Baseline 2016 sound system which on the sheets doesn't even list an amplifier, I had my subs immediately installed so it's hard to say

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I'm no expert. I know my 9 speaker system is component, but maybe the base system isn't. Someone else on here claimed they are, but it makes sense that FCA wouldn't put as much effort in the base system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm no expert. I know my 9 speaker system is component, but maybe the base system isn't. Someone else on here claimed they are, but it makes sense that FCA wouldn't put as much effort in the base system.
Well they're wasn't much effort put into the premium system so the baseline would definitely be worse Coaxial speakers are probably cheaper and could be considered as "Less premium" But using the fade and a YouTube frequency test they're definitely playing all frequency, again asides for the 3.5s upfront not playing bass

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think this may be correct based upon my experience with the 2015 base system. It sounds a lot better now that I have the Infinity speakers in - I found it really shouty and harsh with the stock speakers. Running the Infinity's off the RA4 8.4" head unit with no additional amp though it's still not anything I would remotely call "refined" - I couldn't figure out if there was an easy way to add an amp without seriously tinkering with the wiring.

To be fair, my home stereo is a relatively high end analog tube based system so I may be expecting too much. It'll do for providing tunes on the daily drive just fine though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to Crutchfield, no.

I just put Infinity Reference REF-9622IX in my doors and they are listed as 3-1/8" but I had to remove a portion of the housing that holds the factory speakers to get them to fit. Wasn't a big deal - took 5 minutes with a coping saw, they are soft plastic.
Do you think with a little cutting and maybe a spacer that I could force them??

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,144 Posts
Moisture probably won't be an issue unless the window whiskers get crappy. My speakers were actually Infinity Reference REF-9620cx component speakers, so the magnets may be a different size. It is 3 1/16 depth.
How do you like them so far?

Where did you mount the tweeters and the crossover box?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
How do you like them so far?

Where did you mount the tweeters and the crossover box?
They sound okay. I didn't use the crossover or tweeters. I installed the Infinity Reference 3022cfx in the corners of the dash, and get plenty, possibly too much, high sounds. The best over-all improvement I made to the setup is adding the amp and Stealthbox to the trunk.

I recently bought a 2014 Ram, with the 9 speaker Alpine system, and like others have said, it sounds way better than the 9 speaker Alpine setup that came in my Challenger. The sub in the Challenger is a joke, since it's just in the rear deck, with no enclosure of any kind. The same speaker in the Ram actually has some bass.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,144 Posts
They sound okay. I didn't use the crossover or tweeters. I installed the Infinity Reference 3022cfx in the corners of the dash, and get plenty, possibly too much, high sounds. The best over-all improvement I made to the setup is adding the amp and Stealthbox to the trunk.

I recently bought a 2014 Ram, with the 9 speaker Alpine system, and like others have said, it sounds way better than the 9 speaker Alpine setup that came in my Challenger. The sub in the Challenger is a joke, since it's just in the rear deck, with no enclosure of any kind. The same speaker in the Ram actually has some bass.
Thank You!

I bought the same dash speakers, but they are sitting on my desk (not installed yet). We'll see how they sound with the HK. From what I hear (no pun intended), it should be an improvement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts