Dodge Challenger Forum banner

How do you brake with your car (manual Tranny)?

• Transmission & Brakes

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Brakes Only

Votes: 28 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taught, by my parents, that driving with a manual transmission you should downshift releasing your clutch to assist in stopping the car.

Now that I'm much older and this is my first manual that I have owned since I lived with my parents, I'm questioning whether their teaching is correct.

The reason I'm questioning is the wear on the transimission vs the wear on the brakes (which are also being used).

So I'm going to throw it out to you all to determine which is better for the car:
1. Downshift Braking; or
2. Braking with only brakes

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Not to mention way more gas consumption.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Stop with the brakes, that's what they're for. Downshift braking puts more wear on the clutch, throw-out bearing and synchronizers. Brakes are cheaper.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
been downshifting while braking for 30 years, and always will.....not only do I enjoy driving that way, but the last clutch I replaced was decades ago, and I've never blew a tranny(knock on wood), so all is good:thumbsup:

·
Registered
528 Posts
I do a combination of both. If I need to stop quickly (e.g., light about to turn red, traffic stops abruptly) I'll downshift, otherwise I'll keep the clutch pedal depressed or put it in neutral.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Add me to the "brakes only to stop" group.:) This topic is something that my wife and I debated a few time (she's in the downshifting to stop group). :cowtounge:

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
The way I downshift is to blip the throttle thereby matching the rpm's. Doing this minimizes clutch wear. I use the same technique on the motorcycle too (you don't want too much engine braking on a motorcycle).

I doubt a little engine braking will shorten engine life (although could waste a little gas). Just don't do something silly like shifting to too small of a gear and over-rev the engine. The rev limiter won't help you if you do that.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
When I was younger I loved downshifting to brake. Sounded good, felt good, and it saved the brakes. That's when gas was 30 cents/gallon

Now, I use the brakes only. In fact, I try to anticipate stops, looking ahead as far as possible. I'll kick the car out of gear and coast, and believe me with the weight of these cars, there's a lot of energy stored when they're moving, and they coast (only with the 6M, coasting in an auto is bad for the tranny) for a long ways. This saves a LOT of gas, and nowadays, you can replace the brakes for about the same as 2 tanks of gas.

Either way is just a personal preference, and if you're paying attention, you'll stop just fine regardless of your choice.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Use both as required. A little down shifting is insignificant strain on the drive train. Don't down shift and redline the engine - release the clutch smoothly and that is the way to drive a stick!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I believe coasting is illegal in some states. Might be hard to prove though. :indifferent:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I believe coasting is illegal in some states. Might be hard to prove though. :indifferent:
It is, I try to do it responsibly; kicking it out of gear for a hundred yards or so doesn't seem dangerous to me.

Some of the super mileage enthusiasts will actually turn the car off coasing down a big hill or mountain. That is dangerous.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@noz34me-
"you can replace the brakes for about the same as 2 tanks of gas"

That's one of the funniest things I've read on this forum.

Thanks for the laugh!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Depends on the situation but usually I use both methods for stopping.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Brakes are cheap and easy to replace. It is a simple answer. Plus I coast in nuetral as well, much better gas mileage. Now if only I had a hand brake in this thing...:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Brakes are cheap and easy to replace. It is a simple answer. Plus I coast in nuetral as well, much better gas mileage. Now if only I had a hand brake in this thing...:)

Got agree with the hand brake, I would be even more dangerous in this car! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
@noz34me-
"you can replace the brakes for about the same as 2 tanks of gas"

That's one of the funniest things I've read on this forum.

Thanks for the laugh!!!

What's so funny? Don't you do your own work?
I totally agree with this guy, sounds pretty intelligent and accurate to me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Been shifting..

my Challengers for 35 years...4speed now 6 speed. Although I have used downshifting periodically, I use the brakes and neutral method timing for greatest mileage and upshifting technique. Never burned a clutch out or tranny in my life. Works for me!:thumbsup:

1970 Dodge Challenger SE-Auto
1970 Dodge Challenger Western Sport Special 4 speed
2009 Dodge Challenger SE-Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger RT-6 Speed

1 - 20 of 39 Posts