Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving the stripes you guys and gals are putting on your Challengers. Is there a downside? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
I'm loving the stripes you guys and gals are putting on your Challengers. Is there a downside? Thanks!
Waxing can be a pain but chips/scratches are the buggers to watch for. Other than that they add pizzazz and if you change your mind just peel off with a hair dryer and stick on a new graphic. :eek:hyeah:

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
I'm a stripe lover myself. The only stripes you don't want to get wax on are matte stripes.

I've never had problems with side stripes, but if you put any on the hood, you can expect a few rock chips over the years.

So no real negatives here.

Reactions: CtheW0rld

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
As others have stated, no real downside to striping.

I do tape them off when applying Liquid Glass for the paint finish, but after that, wash and detail spray has never hurt them at all. IMO, Challengers need some sort of "side stripe", but again, that's just me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Downside is you waste a lot of time stopping to turn around and look at your Challenger after you park it in a parking lot walking away cuz it looks so damn good with the stripes!! :grin2:

I wax right over my gloss stripes, never had a problem, same with detail spray.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,849 Posts
I could have sworn someone posted recently (~couple of months ago) about water stains on matte decals on the hood...their fix was to remove them and have it permanently painted on.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Only downside I can see is looking badass by default even on days that you don't intend to do so :D

Attachments

Reactions: CtheW0rld

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
I could have sworn someone posted recently (~couple of months ago) about water stains on matte decals on the hood...their fix was to remove them and have it permanently painted on.

I've had mine for two years, no water spotting issues on the factory "Modern R/T Hood Stripe". 20k miles on my Challenger, and they look like new.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sorry to be the one to say it...long-term.....

***BUT....after years of having stripes and you remove or replace them....there can be paint fading where the stripe are NOT!
This can be unsightly, and a problem matching up replacement stripes to not leave unsightly fading exposed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Stripes, specifically the vinyl type of stripes helps distinguish our Challengers. I work near LAX so the rental car agencies are literally all around me. When I decided that I would get a '14 RT Challenger I knew I wanted something to set it apart from just being another black Challenger on the way to the rental return. I had seen the red, silver and the black (both the lengthwise as well as the hashmarks) and decided I would go another route. Ebay has a number of suppliers with different stock and non-stock colors of stripes and I settled with one that had high grade 3M materials (typically a 3 year warranty.) I went with the hashmarks but I do have a high admiration for the lengthwise stripes of all styles. I wash and wax with no problem, I have sent it through car washes, both brushless and brush with very little problem.

The only problem I have ever had was where the stripes came to a point heading into the wind. The stripes that were rounded didn't peal up, the ones that were pointed peeled up and eventually tore off the first 1/8 of an inch of the vinyl point as you can see in one of the pictures. I've had the stripes literally before I took delivery of the car and there is the reality of the paint fading on the rest of the car except where its been covered. When the time comes to replace faded, or cracked or significant peeling stripes I'll most likely go paint or reorder my stripes, I haven't decided. Until then I have had significant amounts of compliments on my stripes (even the cops when they have pulled me over...).

Get good quality stripes, check with your local body shop for a guy to put on your stripes professionally (even as small as mine were, I didn't have the confidence) and enjoy your individuality!

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

***BUT....after years of having stripes and you remove or replace them....there can be paint fading where the stripe are NOT!
This can be unsightly, and a problem matching up replacement stripes to not leave unsightly fading exposed.
If you replace them how is fading an issue?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

This is what I was particularly worried about. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
This is what I was particularly worried about. Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about it, never had an issue with any car I've had stripes on.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts

Unless you've neglected the paint, how much possible damage could it show that a good compounding a polish wouldn't fix?

Only downside of applying vinyl is if you pay someone to do it and they're a completely inept ****lenut and damage your car.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm a big fan of stripes on these cars. Mine have held up to everything but rock chips. No peeling and no fading...(knock on wood) It's also a great way to set yourself apart using a non standard color. I've never regretted putting mine on.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
No matter how well you take care of the vinyl stripes, it is vinyl in the heat and sun.
Mine got to the point, not even the experts could make them look good for more than a week! (2011)
So....When you do have to replace your vinyl stripes....consider....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts