Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the matte prescription kit for my '17 T/A. I have a couple of questions for those who use the system.

The hood roof and trunk/spoiler are pretty isolated and I should have no problem applying the coating without getting it elsewhere. But what are people doing for the side stripes? How does the coating act with the regular paint ?

When waxing the rest of the car, same question. I can easily avoid the hood trunk and rear deck. Do people mask the stripes off when applying a wax or sealant to the gloss paint surrounding it?

I have some stubborn dirt on my matte and was thinking about soaking with the paint cleaner before the wash. Can I used a clay bar on the matte or do I risk polishing it?

I have a couple of blah overcast days in store and it might be a good time to do a deep clean and pull it in the garage to apply coatings/wax.

I didn't think about the matte paint clear before buying, in fact, I had a 71 cuda with the matte billboard stripes on it and all I did was wax right over them with Zaino with no streaking or chalkiness. Not willing to gamble with that now but if I just did that on the T/A stripes, it would make things tons easier......

·
Super Moderator
15,552 Posts
I wouldn't clay bar the matte paint on the hood - it might burnish it and you end up with glossy areas.

the roof and trunk are vinyl wrap, not painted.

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
433 Posts
Only use Dr. Beasley's on your stripes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I planned to use Beasley's on all the matte black, painted hood, wrapped roof and trunk and vinyl side stripes. Gas door too.

How do you guys wax the rest of the paint and keep it off the matte in particular the stripe?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,513 Posts
Yeah I planned to use Beasley's on all the matte black, painted hood, wrapped roof and trunk and vinyl side stripes. Gas door too.

How do you guys wax the rest of the paint and keep it off the matte in particular the stripe?
The matte paint coating in that kit seems like it would provide plenty of protection for the matte paint against incidental paint sealant/wax overlap that’s being applied to the clear coat surrounding the matte.

So as long as you protect the matte first with the protection product from that kit, there should be no need to tape off or otherwise worry about accidentally getting some regular paint protectant on the matte surface. If it happens, just wipe it off and continue on.

Also, I was curious where the good Dr. received his PHD from and in what field, but I could not find anything about his doctorate or who gave it to him. So, you know, be vigilant about any medical advice he provides. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts