Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Dr. Colorchip touchup kit. I'm nervous but hopeful. I hope talking about them is ok. If this thread isn't pulled, after the kit gets here I will do a photo walk through and review. Fingers are crossed!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have used it on my cars and like it. It is easy to use and does a good job on things like the smaller/average rock chips. It will fill in bigger chips to an extent but you will still be able to tell it. But, nothing but a body shop is going to fix a big chip right anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
I'm glad this topic popped up. Found a couple of small chips on the wife's 300.... Not happy. But looking forward to hearing opinions of this kit.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Dr. Color chip works great...I have used it on my torred and it's great

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
Paint Differences

What is the difference between that product and factory touchup paint?
Dr. Color Chip differs from factory touch-up paint in that it uses unique tints and chemicals that allows you to blend away all of the excess paint leaving only the paint in the chip area.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Checking this out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought the kit last year for my car. I gave it a shot and for the life of me could not get it right. I kept wiping it all away no matter what I did. I plan on trying it again if our weather ever decides to get better. Their videos make it look so simple and easy but I kept managing to screw it up.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I played with a kit on my last car. I'm sort of thinking some careful work with the mopar touchup paint might give better results
I have tried both and the Dr. is by FAR the better method IMO

·
Registered
127 Posts
I tried it on my GWE, color didn't really match wet and was way off when it dried. Ended up buying touch up paint from the dealer and reapplying it.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
When leveling the DR Colorchip, try wrapping one layer of the the cloth around a playing card size piece of stiff "shirt type" cardboard or similar. Then flex the card slightly with your thumb and middle finger. Use your index finger to apply pressure as you level the paint. For a deep chip, you might need to apply more than one time to get a perfectly level repair. Works great on chips, not so much on scratches, nor is it marketed for repairing scratches. This is from my experience on 3 vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I used it on a Mercedes that I sold before I got the R/T. There were about 75 very tiny rock chips around the front area of the hood and a couple of pretty good rock dings. Dr. color chip was drop dead easy to use and you couldn't tell the chips were ever there. I definitely will use it on the Challenger when it needs it.

I actually put off using it for several months after I bought the kit because I was afraid of making a big mess and screwing up my car. I finally got the nerve to try it and was really pleased with the way it works. You really can't mess it up because you can just wipe it off if you want, before you put the sealer on it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have tried both and the Dr. is by FAR the better method IMO
I would definitely agree, I've had lousy results with touch up paint over the last 40 years, and Dr. Colorchip worked GREAT on my '03 Ram's chips on the hood and tailgate. So much better I will never use the factory touch up on chips again. I have a spot on the edge of my door that needs touch up and I figure it will look like it always does, like crap.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Used it on my sons torried Challenger. Color match was perfect. Easier to apply to more horizontal surfaces than vertical. Sides of the car are hard to get the paint to stay in the scratch. You will need to repeat the process. But it worked and was way better than a glob of factory touch up paint. Glad you posted, I have a bottle and have not done my car yet, it's just about time. No matter how carful I am about following people, the nose has a couple of spots.

They have a new blade applicator that should make this even easier too. Good luck.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I bought a PCP paint touch up stick that I'll be trying when it warms up a little more here in MN. If this doesn't work I might give Dr. Colorchip a try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts