Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I’m looking to get back into a Scat Pack after selling my ‘17. I’m looking to order either a Challenger Scat Pack M6 with the scat appearance package or step up to a M6 T/A. Since I am primarily getting this for drag racing my question is what is the difference between the dynamics package and what comes on the T/A. From a cost effective view point does it make sense to spend all the extra money on a T/A for drag racing? Also does it make sense for the dynamic package versus just getting after market wheels which would be wider and more suitable for 305’s? One of my chief complaints of my 17 Scat Pack with did not have the dynamics was that there was a ton of body roll, the 245’s where horrendous, and I felt like the 4 pistons didn’t do that well of slowing down after a couple of passes. It seems like the dynamic pack covers most of the T/A performance stuff but do they have spec suspension?

Thanks In advance

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
If you're finding the 4 piston brakes didn't do enough for you...

A SP with
*SP appearance group
*Dynamics Pkg

is about $1k less than a T/A 392

Remember that on both models, the houndstooth cloth seats are std. Its extra for the Alcantara / leather which is extra cost, on top of SPAG option on SP model.

The CAI on the T/A may help on the strip, but the engines are the same between the two models you're comparing.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I can tell you the Dynamics Package is absolutely worth the price. $2k for four wheels and 6 piston Brembos. You wouldn't be able to get the wheels or the brakes alone for that price so in my opinion it's a steal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your going to drag race then get it with the 8 speed auto tranny.
Yeah I agree performance wise an auto is better for drag racing but it’s primarily a weekend driver and sometimes the drag strip when I can. I love manuals so much more engaging than auto. If it was a dedicated drag race car then yeah I agree go with the auto

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're finding the 4 piston brakes didn't do enough for you...

A SP with
*SP appearance group
*Dynamics Pkg

is about $1k less than a T/A 392

Remember that on both models, the houndstooth cloth seats are std. Its extra for the Alcantara / leather which is extra cost, on top of SPAG option on SP model.

The CAI on the T/A may help on the strip, but the engines are the same between the two models you're comparing.
I can tell you the Dynamics Package is absolutely worth the price. $2k for four wheels and 6 piston Brembos. You wouldn't be able to get the wheels or the brakes alone for that price so in my opinion it's a steal.
Yeah that’s the dilemma I find my self in. Those packages come in at 1k less than the T/A which either model I definitely won’t be getting just a waste of money. Is there anything different the T/A would give me that the dynamics package doesn’t performance wise? Are there suspension differences between a dynamic scat and a T/A?

The brakes I’m wondering if there than big of a difference between 4 and 6 piston brakes because aren’t either the same size? I suppose one could make the argument aftermarket wheels would be wider and better suited for 305’s also.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
The suspension is the same between the two. I can't comment on the difference between the 4 and 6 since I've never driven one with the 4 piston. You could also get the dynamics package and then sell the wheels which would cover a good chunk of the cost of going aftermarket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The suspension is the same between the two. I can't comment on the difference between the 4 and 6 since I've never driven one with the 4 piston. You could also get the dynamics package and then sell the wheels which would cover a good chunk of the cost of going aftermarket.
That is a damn good idea never thought about that. So getting the T/A is really just for visual. So then focusing on the Scat pack vs Scat W/dynamics package then the package offers no suspension changes and only brakes, tires, wheels. If the rotors/pads are the same size aren’t you essentially paying 2.2k for 9.5 wheels and 275 all season? I suppose concerning the brakes the question comes in does a 6 piston resist fade/stop that much better than a 4 piston to justify the price of the package. I’m pretty one could pick up 10.5 after market wheels w/ 305 DR’s and still be below 2.2k

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
It really depends on how you break it down and how you look at it. This package came out right before I bought my car so I lucked out. I really liked the wheels and the brakes were a bonus. I wasn't a fan of the other two wheel styles for the Scat Packs and would have probably gone aftermarket which in the long run probably would have cost more money. The only negative to this package is that honestly, the tires suck (I have the all seasons). I am potentially considering getting an 18x10 wheel with 305 Nitto DR tires for the rear and then switching out the stock tires for winter tires and run them when winter comes. If I don't do that, I may just swap the tires out.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Mechanically between T/A 392 and SP + Dynamics Pkg the suspensions are the same as would be the brakes when their configured.

The 9.5" wheels will easily accommodate a 295 tire, don't think shops would fit 305 on those wheels.

It comes down to which appearance you like between the two. Engine, suspension and brakes are similar.

The 6 piston brakes - this option is the cheapest way to get them. The parts to buy new exceed that by > 63% over what the option is from factory.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mechanically between T/A 392 and SP + Dynamics Pkg the suspensions are the same as would be the brakes when their configured.

The 9.5" wheels will easily accommodate a 295 tire, don't think shops would fit 305 on those wheels.

It comes down to which appearance you like between the two. Engine, suspension and brakes are similar.

The 6 piston brakes - this option is the cheapest way to get them. The parts to buy new exceed that by > 63% over what the option is from factory.
Being that the suspension is the same I think it comes down to the brakes. I’m not that knowledgeable on brakes but isn’t the difference between 4 and 6 piston how even pressure is applied to the caliper to rotor? Is it that you brake harder or just more evenly to reduce fade? I just remember at the drag strip with my ‘17 Scat Pack 392 after the second third pass slowing down the brakes pretty faded.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
its the larger swept area that the 6 piston brakes have over the 4 piston. The pad and rotor areas are larger.

The # of pistons is to distribute the pressure evenly across an every dimensionally larger pad to insure it has proper contact across the rotor to do its job.

Brake fade can happen on anything when it heats up. the 6 pistons will have a higher threshold since there's more pad & rotor area - vehicle weight is the same, so you have two different brake systems working with the same load.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its the larger swept area that the 6 piston brakes have over the 4 piston. The pad and rotor areas are larger.

The # of pistons is to distribute the pressure evenly across an every dimensionally larger pad to insure it has proper contact across the rotor to do its job.

Brake fade can happen on anything when it heats up. the 6 pistons will have a higher threshold since there's more pad & rotor area - vehicle weight is the same, so you have two different brake systems working with the same load.
Great explanation! So it helps with heat/fade not really brake power. Since we are the subject and SRT model was brought up. Given a manual does the “Race” option for engine do anything different from sport?

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
they'll probably bit harder with the 6 piston versions - there's more working area.

Much like how the 4 piston response is over the 2 piston Bosch setup on the R/T models

·
Registered
80 Posts
Having read that there was quite a few t/a leftovers available and all things as far as color choices being equal , I would think that a savvy shopper could get a t/a at a better markdown and then use the savings towards making it more the car you would like it to be. Would different/ better brake pads offset the 6/4iston brake difference? Light weight tires and rims for drag racing could be had for about 1000 bucks.
Again. It's all about the deal at the beginning.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having read that there was quite a few t/a leftovers available and all things as far as color choices being equal , I would think that a savvy shopper could get a t/a at a better markdown and then use the savings towards making it more the car you would like it to be. Would different/ better brake pads offset the 6/4iston brake difference? Light weight tires and rims for drag racing could be had for about 1000 bucks.
Again. It's all about the deal at the beginning.
That’s true it all depends on how much they charge. I got my 17’ scat pack I got for 31.5. If I could get a killer deal on a T/A I would hop on one.

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Since we are the subject and SRT model was brought up. Given a manual does the “Race” option for engine do anything different from sport?
The Track mode (not Race - that's Demon specific) on SRT models would open AES valves to full open, and the A8 is set for the the most aggressive, fastest shifts and the 3-mode shocks go to their stiffest setting.

The SRT Perf. Pages are not present on Scat Pack models (T/A 392 is based off Scat Pack). While others have used Tazer devices to bring SRT Perf Pages up on an M6 its not really going to do that much.

And Scat Pack models (through '18) don't have the 3-mode Bilstein shocks, but the conventional "fixed" Bilstein instead (those behave like the SRT 3-mode would in Sport).

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Prepare to be disappointed with your 6-speed at the track, that's really the only place the car won't be a blast though. I've been there, done that!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts