Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up guys I have only talked to a few people about this but I’m ready to make my purchase.

I have a 2016 srt 392 and I want a set of rear drag rims and slicks. I would like to know what rim size and width do I need and what size slick.

I have heard 17’s from a guy making 900hp on a Jeep srt8 and 18’s from another guy. I just want to get this right the first time. Thank you for your help and insight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
17x9 or 17x10 and a 28x10 slick or 305, 325 drag radial.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
18 X 10 with +20mm offset mounted with P305/45-18 drag radials is a popular combination. Works well on my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack. No clearance issues and same circumference as OE tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
18 X 10 with +20mm offset mounted with P305/45-18 drag radials is a popular combination. Works well on my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack. No clearance issues and same circumference as OE tires.
Why did you not go with slicks. Do you daily the car with the drag radials?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was at the race shop this weekend and was talking to a guy who races pretty much for a living. He told me that if I run a straight slick that I have to run skinny’s up front or I really risk hooking and going sideways. He’s saying that the oem wheels up front won’t be able to react fast enough once I floor it. Also the skinny’s save weight, but that’s a given. Anyone have input on this.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
I was at the race shop this weekend and was talking to a guy who races pretty much for a living. He told me that if I run a straight slick that I have to run skinny’s up front or I really risk hooking and going sideways. He’s saying that the oem wheels up front won’t be able to react fast enough once I floor it. Also the skinny’s save weight, but that’s a given. Anyone have input on this.
He's correct.You may get away with it for a while, especially if you run higher pressures and tubes in the slicks.

But if you ever get loose, bad things are very likely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He's correct.You may get away with it for a while, especially if you run higher pressures and tubes in the slicks.

But if you ever get loose, bad things are very likely.
That’s the last thing I need lol. I guess I gotta see the price difference between 2 wheels and drag radials or 4wheels and slicks and skinnies

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Some classes/events require your car to be completely street legal including tires hence drag radials. Also if you drive to the track instead of changing there, etc. If you are going to run slicks I would go with 17 inch wheels. You do need to be aware of the wheel vs brake size, not all wheels will fit.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
That’s the last thing I need lol. I guess I gotta see the price difference between 2 wheels and drag radials or 4wheels and slicks and skinnies
It's about 60% cost drag radials and another 40% for front skinnies. Figure $2000 for all 4 going cheap.

If you don't have a manual trans and are just running for fun, I'd stick to the drag radials.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's about 60% cost drag radials and another 40% for front skinnies. Figure $2000 for all 4 going cheap.

If you don't have a manual trans and are just running for fun, I'd stick to the drag radials.
I am running a a8 and didn’t want to spend 2k necessarily. So I guess I’ll be looking for drag wheels and radials. Now should I just get some 20’s radials or do the whole 17’s with radials so I have more sidewalk flex?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
There are only a couple of 17" wheels that will fit and clear the rear brakes. The Race Star 17x9.5 92-795452 is one that definitely fits.

Other 17" wheels may fit, but require shorter sway bar links. The Race Stars do not.

The plug and play combo that a lot of people are using is the M/T ETS R 305/45/18 MTT-3580 drag radials on Bravado Tribute 18x10 BRV-TB80515205 wheels. Summit has both. They clear everything, are relatively cheap and don't require sway bar link mods.

It looks like you may need different smaller diameter lug nuts with the Bravado Tribute wheels.

There is a chance the car could be a slightly quicker on a 17" or 18" wheel than a 20".

Your advantage to staying with 20's is that you can use factory wheels if that saves you money and it won't look goofy with the factory 20's if you want to drive on them a bit.

I'm considering the same things as you. I think I have it narrowed down to the 18" setup listed above or 275/40/20 Nitto 555Rs on 20" wheels if I can find a set for a good price. So far I haven't found the right wheels. I'd like another pair of the WRTs that are already on my car, but my wallet aches thinking about that option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are only a couple of 17" wheels that will fit and clear the rear brakes. The Race Star 17x9.5 92-795452 is one that definitely fits.

Other 17" wheels may fit, but require shorter sway bar links. The Race Stars do not.

The plug and play combo that a lot of people are using is the M/T ETS R 305/45/18 MTT-3580 drag radials on Bravado Tribute 18x10 BRV-TB80515205 wheels. Summit has both. They clear everything, are relatively cheap and don't require sway bar link mods.

It looks like you may need different smaller diameter lug nuts with the Bravado Tribute wheels.

There is a chance the car could be a slightly quicker on a 17" or 18" wheel than a 20".

Your advantage to staying with 20's is that you can use factory wheels if that saves you money and it won't look goofy with the factory 20's if you want to drive on them a bit.

I'm considering the same things as you. I think I have it narrowed down to the 18" setup listed above or 275/40/20 Nitto 555Rs on 20" wheels if I can find a set for a good price. So far I haven't found the right wheels. I'd like another pair of the WRTs that are already on my car, but my wallet aches thinking about that option.
Well it looks like I’m going to go with the road star 17x9.5 92-795452. And I’ll get a eat street radial tire to go with them. Glad you are willing to share your knowledge and research. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
688 Posts
Check ebay for those Race Star wheels. There was a pretty good deal on those wheels a couple of weeks ago.

You’ll also have to have this mounting kit with the hub rings and special lug nuts 601-1434-10

1 - 15 of 15 Posts