Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, Happy Sunday to everyone.

I just recently bought some Nitto NT05r for my rear wheels, my stock 20' wheels with the 315's and the NT555 x 20's on 245's. I took them to the track and my best time was a 7.93 on the 1/8. Ehhh time; and the reason I said that is because before I was using my 22' Staggered wheels that were 10.5 x 295 and 9 x 275 and I also ran a similar time.

Have any of you had a similar set up or a theory about this.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
What is the engine+trans+rear-end combo you are working with?

Can you post up the other data from the runs (reaction time, 60’ time, trap speed, etc.)?

Lots of variables affecting the total E.T., maybe traction isn’t the underlying problem?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
What was the tire pressure set too. Reaction time really doesn’t affect your ET, but 60 Ft, amount of fuel in the tank tire pressure, suspension setup all play a part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
20 Posts
This slip is from May 7th
Font Material property Paper Rectangle Paper product

This slip is from June 26th
Font Receipt Material property Number Event

What is the engine+trans+rear-end combo you are working with?

Can you post up the other data from the runs (reaction time, 60’ time, trap speed, etc.)?

Lots of variables affecting the total E.T., maybe traction isn’t the underlying problem?
I have the 2016 R/T Scat Pack, Automatic, what do you mean by rear end? My tires are 315's

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
If you didn't smoke your street tires during launch, you may want to try a much more aggressive launch with the drag radials...

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,439 Posts
I have the 2016 R/T Scat Pack, Automatic, what do you mean by rear end? My tires are 315's
I was referring to the gear ratio of the third member/carrier assembly.

If you have the A8 trans, the car will have the 3.07 rear-end IIRC. Which is fine, easier to launch without smoking the tires for many people.

M6 trans cars get the 3.91 rear gears (and V6 cars get the 2.65 rear-ends unless built with a special pkg that includes the 3.07 and 20” wheels).

·
Registered
18 Posts
IMO your posted times for a stock 2016 A8 Scat Pack are about right if not pretty good. Your 1.7689 60 ft is a job well done. What were you expecting?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Scat Pack
20 Posts
I was referring to the gear ratio of the third member/carrier assembly.

If you have the A8 trans, the car will have the 3.07 rear-end IIRC. Which is fine, easier to launch without smoking the tires for many people.

M6 trans cars get the 3.91 rear gears (and V6 cars get the 2.65 rear-ends unless built with a special pkg that includes the 3.07 and 20” wheels).
Ahhh okay, I have a A8 Trans. One note, I don't use my launch control. Just throw it in sport mode, get a good smoke and foot brake from the line.

IMO your posted times for a stock 2016 A8 Scat Pack are about right if not pretty good. Your 1.7689 60 ft is a job well done. What were you expecting?
Well I was thinking that my 22's that are heavier might affect the times, but they stayed close to the same times. That time slip is in May on my 22's, bottom is late June on my 20's and drag radials. It's just interesting with the differences.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
453 Posts
Well I was thinking that my 22's that are heavier might affect the times, but they stayed close to the same times. That time slip is in May on my 22's, bottom is late June on my 20's and drag radials. It's just interesting with the differences.
The heavier 22's definitely slowed you down.
The DA during that top slip was about 900
The DA during that bottom slip was about 2700
(DA according to airdensityonline.com)

That's a difference of 1800 DA! The fact you were only .15 slower with that much worse DA means the lighter wheels made a bigger difference than you think. I'd bet that June 26th time would be a lot slower if you had your 22's on for it.

Just for comparison to show the difference DA can make, here's 2 of my 1/4 mile runs on the exact same day with the same setup, 1st was in the hotter part of the afternoon with higher DA, 2nd was a lot later in the evening with lower DA
1st run - afternoon and hot with 1930 DA - 11.52
Last run - evening and cooler with 968 DA - 11.39

That's a .13 difference in just less than 1000 DA difference

There's obviously other factors, but my main point is if you want to make a better comparison, take both sets of wheels to the track and swap them between runs so that the DA and conditions are more similar.

Reactions: JustinRod
1 - 10 of 10 Posts