Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've never run down the drag strip and would like to take my 20 scat down the local 1/8 mile track next spring. I have no idea what type of wheel/tire setup I'll need to buy. The car has the 4 piston brembos. I'm a total novice and don't want to spend a fortune but I'm sure it'll probably cost me a couple grand right? What do you guys use? Is there anything else I'll need to do to the car before hitting a local test a tune night at the track?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,598 Posts
My suggestion is that if you're just going to take her to the strip occasionally then I'd just learn/practice on launching on the standard street tires. Take her to the track stock and just experiment to see what works before spending money. Why spend money if you don't have to?

I've found that the best mod that Anyone can do with their car is the driver mod. You just get to know what you have to do to get the most out of your Scat Pack.

If you're looking to go to the track often and don't mind spending the money on wheels and tires, then maybe a set of Nitto drag radials (NT555RII's would work or a set of NT555R's).

Just my thoughts and if/when you go to the track, Please be safe and have fun! (y)

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,324 Posts
Just slapping on Slicks is not necessarily a good start as suggested by Freddy, in fact you can get your hands full fast if your not careful...

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
972 Posts
One night I watched several Z06's & ZR1's with manual transmissions and street tires at the dragstrip. They may as well have been on ice. They were running in the 13 to 15 second range spinning all the way down the track. (My Scat Pack was running 11.6 to 11.8) By the end of the evening they were doing better, starting in a higher gear feathering the clutch and light on the gas until the car was hooked up. They were still pretty slow but I'm sure they learned a lot. I have not seen them back at the track.

I like FreddyG's suggestion. Why spend $1K on wheels and DR's until you know it's something you want to do at least occasionally. Launching a stock manual transmission car with 500 HP at a dragstrip is not easy. Talk to racers with similar set ups to learn the best technique then decide if you want to go to the next step. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger T/A 392 A8
92 Posts
I would also advise to go a few times on the stock tires. Make sure it's something you want to do regularly before investing in DR's. I did and then bought the Bravada's with 18" Nitto 555R's. When I ran those bald, I upgraded to the Drag Stars and 17" M/T Street ET SS's. Now that they are bald, I just changed to M/T Street R's. If you want the part numbers/sizes for any of those, PM me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you’re running on a stock car, just step up to a rear 17” and Mickey Thompson Street SS or Street Rs (I prefer the Rs). You’re not going to hurt anything at stock power level on the scat and that setup will let you run the best times the car has to offer as it stands.

You can go practice on street tires but in all honesty, your process for approaching the line on street tires vs a DR should be entirely different and thus, you’ll just be practicing something in folly.

You can run on those DRs 24/7 if you want (unless you have adverse weather where you are at) but expect about 14k miles out of them. Or swap back and forth as you so desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
972 Posts
Newoldchallenger gave some good advice. I have 18" Street R's, 17's would have been a better choice because the additional sidewall should provide a little better bite. With DR's on a stock or mildly modified Scat Pack you would want to leave the line hammer down which isn't going to happen with street tires.

I have 500 miles of highway driving and 70 passes on the Street R's, Grooves are almost gone. The Street R's performed well on wet roads but would not want to drive on them in heavy rain or through standing water. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,499 Posts
I went last year (2019) and ran my Nitto Motivo street tires that I run everyday on my car (315/35 R20). This year I upgraded to a set of Nitto NT05R (315/35 R20) on two rims identical to the ones on my car. Only difference is no TPMS in them. Just go all stock and have some fun.

On a side note to the NT555 guys, why not NT05R? Is the 555 a "gripier" tire?

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
304 Posts
Fairly common to get an extra set or rear (albeit wider) rims dedicated for drag radials. I recommend either Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S or Nitto NT555RII since you can easily drive on these to tracks, even for long distances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts