Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I am planning on getting some weld racing rt-s71 or rt-s77 rear wheels and drag radials for my 16 scatpack challenger .

Do you guys suggest 15 or 17 inch wheels ?
I am leaning more towards a 15 to have a taller tire.
What about offset ? What are you guys running?
And lastly what drag radials ? I would prefer something with a big wall. Thanks !
These are pics of the wheels and the last picture is the size style I would like .

Car right now only has a CAI and mid muffler delete. Future plans are full exhaust and either e85 or q16 with a tune and hoping for low 11s

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
I don’t believe you are going to fit 15’s over the brembos. 17” is your smallest option with out going with wilwood or another set of brakes.
17” or smaller I’d go with the 71’s , too much going on in the 77.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t believe you are going to fit 15’s over the brembos. 17” is your smallest option with out going with wilwood or another set of brakes.
17” or smaller I’d go with the 71’s , too much going on in the 77.

You are right i did not even think about the fitment issues with 15inch wheels , now it makes sence why most challengers are 17. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Guys running 20" DRs on the stock wheels go basically as quick and fast as any other set up...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey guys , I am planning on getting some weld racing rt-s71 or rt-s77 rear wheels and drag radials for my 16 scatpack challenger .

Do you guys suggest 15 or 17 inch wheels ?
I am leaning more towards a 15 to have a taller tire.
What about offset ? What are you guys running?
And lastly what drag radials ? I would prefer something with a big wall. Thanks !
These are pics of the wheels and the last picture is the size style I would like .

Car right now only has a CAI and mid muffler delete. Future plans are full exhaust and either e85 or q16 with a tune and hoping for low 11s

I'm running matte Black 17x9 fr500 wheels. They almost match the stock Hellcat wheels on my scatpack. . Thank you Dynamics package 275 50 17 M&H race Masters, just barely fit over my rear brakes. But they do

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
86 Posts
Here is what I have ordered from Summit Racing. They look pretty close to my factory wheels. They fit perfect with no alterations to sway bar or cutting & trimming anywhere. I race almost every weekend with a 16 scat pack & they hook awesome. Summit will mount & balance & ship to your door ready to install.

Cost $1000.00

Bravado Tribute Matte Black Wheels TB80515205. 18 in.x 10 in., 5 x 115mm Bolt Circle, +20mm Offset,

Mickey Thompson ET Street R Tires 90000024661. Tire, ET Street R, P305/45-18, Radial, R2 Compound, Blackwall,

·
Registered
582 Posts
Guys running 20" DRs on the stock wheels go basically as quick and fast as any other set up...

Even .05 quicker 60ft will net better et. Basically as quick is not as quick. Just my .02. I run 18x10 forged xxr 521’s (19lbs)w/305 555R’s with consistent 1.6x 60’s.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Even .05 quicker 60ft will net better et. Basically as quick is not as quick. Just my .02. I run 18x10 forged xxr 521’s (19lbs)w/305 555R’s with consistent 1.6x 60’s.

You are right, a higher profile and smaller wheel has weight, and sidewall deflection benefits. My stock Hellcat wheels and tires are 61 pounds. My fr500, 17x9, and M&H racemaster Tires, are 47 lb. That's 26 plus pounds of rolling resistance reduced.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
18” or 17” will be your best options. Im running the bravado tribute series all around on my challenger, 18x10 in the rear . Only weigh about 22lbs I believe. Just your basic 1 piece wheel that will save you some cash ($165/e) for some mickey thompsons

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The only benefit to different wheels is that you can have a dedicated drag set up and not waste them for when you drive slow.

1.6 60 foots happen pretty easy on a good track with DRs on the 20" stockers...I think there is a much bigger gain installing front skinnies than there is changing rear wheels. However if you can afford them, there certainly in no loss in having a second set of wheels. Good luck to the OP!

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I run Racestars at the track. 17x9.5" rear and 17x4.5" front. M/T ET Street R 305/45/17 rear and M&H 28-4.5/17 front (radials all around). Total setup is 80lbs lighter than stock (55lbs up front, 25lbs in the rear). Got the whole setup brand new for around $1600 (wheels were 40% off on Black Friday and got 10% off tires).

Car has run best of 11.55 at 117mph with 1.61 60ft in +350ft DA with a slew of 11.6-11.7 passes. Tune, wheels/tires, hellcat airbox, catch can, tazer.

The 17" is the way to go. They hook up better and more consistently than the 20" setup did. You can go fast on a 20" setup with an A8, but with a stick it might be harder. If you plan on racing more often, go with a dedicated setup. If you just plan to have fun now and then, get a spare set of 20x9 wheels from someone here or Craigslist, toss a set of M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20's on the back and have fun.

I run the ET Street S/S on the street on stock 20x9 wheels for better traction and they work great. Ran them for a full season the first year I had the car, stock tune, 45 passes and 6000+ street miles and they still have life left in them. Very good tire.

Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I run Racestars at the track. 17x9.5" rear and 17x4.5" front. M/T ET Street R 305/45/17 rear and M&H 28-4.5/17 front (radials all around). Total setup is 80lbs lighter than stock (55lbs up front, 25lbs in the rear). Got the whole setup brand new for around $1600 (wheels were 40% off on Black Friday and got 10% off tires).

Car has run best of 11.55 at 117mph with 1.61 60ft in +350ft DA with a slew of 11.6-11.7 passes. Tune, wheels/tires, hellcat airbox, catch can, tazer.

The 17" is the way to go. They hook up better and more consistently than the 20" setup did. You can go fast on a 20" setup with an A8, but with a stick it might be harder. If you plan on racing more often, go with a dedicated setup. If you just plan to have fun now and then, get a spare set of 20x9 wheels from someone here or Craigslist, toss a set of M/T ET Street S/S 275/40/20's on the back and have fun.

I run the ET Street S/S on the street on stock 20x9 wheels for better traction and they work great. Ran them for a full season the first year I had the car, stock tune, 45 passes and 6000+ street miles and they still have life left in them. Very good tire.

Good luck!
I'm going to run satin black fr500 17 by 9 wheel. They match my Hellcat Wheels perfectly. They are lighter, and give me more sidewell to work with. I should have results in about a month when the tracks open. A before and after with stock P zero summer Tires. And these should be an interesting comparison.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I chose racestar 17x9.5 with my et street r Bias ply ( 46 lbs ea vs 64 with my street tires wheels) racestar 17x 4,5 s yo front with 27.5 x4 my front runners 34 lbs ea vs 56 for my street tires , took it out for a test and a masi wanted to play first shot on the street with 28 psi netted a 3.9 0-60 and Mr. Maserati was 5 car lengths behind me when I power shifted into third cant wait to get those tires on the track ,, best previous 0-60 on street was 4.5

15 scat pack 6 sod MT

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger Rt
520 Posts
Put race stars on mine also. Check out beefcake racing they run sales like crazy. If money is an issue which for most of us that’s usual, 20 in drag radials will work to a certain point. Once I put gears and a converter in they didn’t have a prayer.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,287 Posts
The taller the sidewall the better off you’ll be I dont like the looks of of the drag wheels on my car I’m running low 13 s on my factory low profiles but I ran some of the road course and if you not done this I highly recommend this its a blast

1 - 17 of 17 Posts