Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I bought my 2012 R/T new and here it is 2014 and im yet to install any mods.

I have no idea where to begin because i remember reading a few threads awhile back where everyone was saying the CAI and Exhaust didn't really increase the overall performance very much.

Please excuse my ignorance and help set me straight.

I'm not looking into anything that will void my warranty....Yet.

Just some basic mods that help to open the ole girl up.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
CAI and Exhaust upgrades ....

Gentlemen,

I have no idea where to begin because i remember reading a few threads awhile back where everyone was saying the CAI and Exhaust didn't really increase the overall performance very much.

Do NOT affect warranty. They will NOT have ANY performance effect unless you get a performance Tune or Tuner. If you do, you will see small increases in HP with better exhaust. The 12-14 RT has efficient stock CAI and exhaust. Why not add short, or better yet, long tube headers with tune. You may see 20-30 HP with longtubes/tune.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
I'd recommend a strut brace and a short throw shifter if you have a 6spd car. I have the Petty double brace and the Barton shifter on my STP package R/T and really like them.

I think the stock design for the air intake is pretty darn good and can't justify the money I'd spend to buy a CAI. I'm also not a big car show guy so I don't want it for the appearance.

I have 11k on my car now and the stock exhaust has really opened up. I actually really like the sound of it and wouldn't want it any louder. I save being obnoxiously loud for when I take my Harley out !

From all of my research it seems like you need a tuner to take advantage of the full gains you could get out of a CAI and an exhaust anyway...and then you get into that fuzzy debatable area where people have varying experiences of whether or not a tuner will void your powertrain warranty.

There's my 2 cents !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do NOT affect warranty. They will NOT have ANY effect unless you get a performance Tune or Tuner. If you do, you will see small increases in HP with better exhaust. The 12-14 RT has efficient stock CAI and exhaust. Why not add short, or better yet, long tube headers with tune. You may see 20-30 HP with longtubes/tune.

Wow! 20-30 HP with tuning and longtubes alone? Which ones do you recommend?

I've read a lot about tuners. Correct me if im wrong, but im getting the general conscious is that it's best to buy a cheap tuner and get a custom tune.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd recommend a strut brace and a short throw shifter if you have a 6spd car. I have the Petty double brace and the Barton shifter on my STP package R/T and really like them.

I think the stock design for the air intake is pretty darn good and can't justify the money I'd spend to buy a CAI. I'm also not a big car show guy so I don't want it for the appearance.

I have 11k on my car now and the stock exhaust has really opened up. I actually really like the sound of it and wouldn't want it any louder. I save being obnoxiously loud for when I take my Harley out !

From all of my research it seems like you need a tuner to take advantage of the full gains you could get out of a CAI and an exhaust anyway...and then you get into that fuzzy debatable area where people have varying experiences of whether or not a tuner will void your powertrain warranty.

There's my 2 cents !
I do have the 6sp. So i will look into the short throw shifter. Thanks!

From what i've read about the tuners, if i ever need work i can just flash back to stock. So im not so concerned about that.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I haven't done it yet...

I've read a lot about tuners. Correct me if im wrong, but im getting the general conscious is that it's best to buy a cheap tuner and get a custom tune.
I don't believe 14' tunes are out yet. As soon as they are, I will add longtubes (haven't decided which) and get a Diablosport. I will also have my local Dynotune mechs set the tune. In the meantime, I need a oil catchcan.

Here is my wish list: (It may take a while as the wife is still pissed that I traded my 13' RT for my SRT):

Long Tube Headers
Oil Catchcan
Front/Rear Strut Braces
275 Rear Tires (currently have 255's)
Diablosport
Billet Engine Dress Up (dipstick, fluid caps, etc)
Door Sills
Lower the car another inch (still researching this--not sure if lowering disables adaptive/sport mode)
Eventually: Magnachager

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I agree with Woz, a short throw shifter, a good strut tower brace and nice sounding catback are all you really need. The intakes are very efficient 2011+ on so a CAI isn't really needed. I got one because mine is a '10 and I noticed a nice change/difference when I put on the CAI. A custom tune is also good idea to get rid of the pesky torque management that are on these engines as well as having a trim A/F ratio.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Use the search function on the forum - tons of info about this. But basically it is a brace that ties the two strut towers together making the car less prone to flexing during cornering thus reducing body roll.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do a true CAI and you'll feel the difference for sure. I don't know how much added performance it added but I can for sure feel it pull harder and I shift about 8 mph faster than before. Best mod yet for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Just keep in mind with longtube headers you'll not be emissions legal so depending on what state you're in you might need to know someone to pass emissions. Some states don't bother checking some do so it's something to keep in mind.

Take it easy
Jay

·
Registered
639 Posts

There's my 2 cents !
"I have 11k on my car now and the stock exhaust has really opened up. I actually really like the sound of it and wouldn't want it any louder."

I have a 10 R/T, six speed and noticed the same thing. The car just turned 12000 and the exhaust sound has really changed from when it was new. I started noticing the sound change around 10000 miles, not sure what happened though. When I first got the car I thought about changing the exhaust, but didn't. Now I am happy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gentlemen,

1. Keep the stock CAI it's better than any after market stuff. Just add a K&N filter to let it breath more air. Your stock one pulls air from the spoiler and is where the cold air is.
2. Strut Brace (petty garage is the one I have).
3. Engine half covers (get rid of the plastic cover).
4. Air Raid throttle body spacer Airaid - Throttle Body Spacers.
5. Pistol Grip shifter.
6. LED interior courtesy light (pick a color).
7. LED fog lights.
8. Louder exhaust ( i went with Supper 44'S and couldn't be happier) Don't worry about Drone .. WTF is drone anyways? If you don't like the sound of a muscle car then why do people buy them in the first place. (my rant).
9. Window tint (3M limo black).
10. Speed Logix Billet dress up.
11. MGP caliper covers.
12. Functional hood scoops.
13. Locking gas cap.
14. Not a fan of tuners (they are people with 4 cylinder cars). Your 5.7 V8 should have plenty of power without it. They also stress your engine.
15. OEM Mopar CAI tube (silencer delete) sans the wart.
16. Catch can. (took me awhile to get one and glad I did. Adds color to the engine bay and helps reduce engine build up in the manifold.)

Before Half covers (with silencer "Wart")

After

Most recent I think.... missing some billet bling like Dip stick, Radiator cover, K&N Filter, and Air raid spacer but most of it is shown. (need a more recent photo of my engine)(OEM mopar CAI without the silencer)

Shifter

This should empty the bank account and keep you busy. Also keep in mind no one is right or wrong. It's what you like that matters. Take your time and do lots of research. I advise leaving it stock for as long as you can and slowly adding one piece at a time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Gentlemen,

Lots of good advice from these members.

Although our cars have a good flowing exhaust system, IMO, the car is too quiet. I just recently had my mufflers replaced with magnaflows and resonators removed for under $400. Fell in love with the sound and find any reason to drive around. All the guys at the exhaust shop said "now she sounds like a muscle car". Since I've had this done (last Saturday), I've had a lot of people comment on how good it sounds. Thats just my .02. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
)(OEM mopar CAI without the silencer) Quote

What is the Silencer, where located? Just a simple remove?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lots of good advice from these members.

Although our cars have a good flowing exhaust system, IMO, the car is too quiet. I just recently had my mufflers replaced with magnaflows and resonators removed for under $400. Fell in love with the sound and find any reason to drive around. All the guys at the exhaust shop said "now she sounds like a muscle car". Since I've had this done (last Saturday), I've had a lot of people comment on how good it sounds. Thats just my .02. :D
I did the same thing the next day after I bought my RT. Funny thing was that the service tech at Might Muffler told me the resonators were the two long cans in the middle section of the car and the mufflers were the two round like cans at the rear of the car. lol Well I got rid of about 100lbs of crap and had the magnaflows put on and she sounds good but not obnoxious.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, what was good for me may not necessarily be to your liking. But, here's what I did. I started out enjoying the car "new, as is, right out of the box." As time went on and I became more acquainted with the car, and, reviewed and digested hundreds of postings, I began a thoughtful journey into "The Land of Modz." Without exception, each mod is special to me in that it is a perfect fit. No regrets. No after-the-fact-wish-I-hadn't-bulls**t, and, no cheap ass, shade tree, make-my-own-modification-of-a-modification. To sum it up, know your car, know what you want, take heed of the learned folks here at CT, maintain quality and take your time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
SKIP SHIFT ELIMINATOR !!! I can't believe nobody has mentioned this....get rid of that pesky, dangerous skip shift.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts