Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like I've been dreaming most of my life. To explain, we'll have to go back a few years. High school was 69-73 for me. As you can guess, the Waterford Kettering parking lot was just chock full of muscle cars during those years. However, my part time job only afforded me a VERY used 327 Camaro. It made about 150 horsepower, maybe, on a good day. How I dreamed of having a muscle car.

The dream is born:
One day my auto shop teacher announced that if we took on a big project, like putting another motor into our own car, he'd give us one letter grade higher at the end of the year. I got thinking: wouldn't it be nice to drop a big block engine in this Camaro? Again, my dream was to own a muscle car. Since I couldn't afford one, maybe I could build one. I know, I know, it wasn't a Challenger, but bear with me. Long story short, I found a fella who wanted to trade me a big block for my small block. I finally finished the project, but my lack of funds meant there would be no alternator, windshield washer motor or mufflers... I could go on. To make matters worse, that 427 made short work of my clutch and differential, not to mention my wallet. But I had a muscle car... sort of.

The dream dies:
Unfortunately, the "dream" lasted less than a week. I discovered on the third day that I was getting water in the oil. I still remember asking my auto shop teacher, "What's this tan, milky looking stuff inside my oil filler cap?" He just shook his head. Thankfully, the fella to whom I traded my original motor was willing to trade back, so I reinstalled the lowly 327 back into the car. It was sold soon enough.

The dream gets overruled:
Shortly thereafter, I took on a number of dead end low paying jobs and drove various excuses for a car until I decided to go to college. 5 more years of no money and various "practical" cars. Reliability and gas mileage had to take precedence over the dream. Then marriage and kids and other responsibilities came along, and again the dream was overruled. It's been 45 years since the dream was born. But it's a funny thing about dreams. Though they may die down, they never really go away.

The dream is reborn:
Recently some things have changed. The kids are grown, the bills are finally off my back, and there are some extra nickels coming in. And that dream? I discovered that it's alive and well. A couple months ago I was sitting at a stop light, and a challenger pulled up next to me. The sound of that thing was mesmerizing. It sure brought back some great memories of the good old days. I began reading about Challengers. My research brought me here, and I've been reading this forum for a couple months now. I decided that there's going to be a hemi in my future. Now the question is, which one? It won't be brand-new, as there are not THAT many nickels available. It may be a little while, but this decision is made.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,852 Posts
Welcome from California ;) Good luck!

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,362 Posts
The dream is reborn:
Recently some things have changed. The kids are grown, the bills are finally off my back, and there are some extra nickels coming in. And that dream? I discovered that it's alive and well. A couple months ago I was sitting at a stop light, and a challenger pulled up next to me. The sound of that thing was mesmerizing. It sure brought back some great memories of the good old days. I began reading about Challengers. My research bright me here, and I've been reading this forum for a couple months now. I decided that there's going to be a hemi in my future. Now the question is, which one? It won't be brand-new, as there are not THAT many nickels available. It may be a little while, but this decision is made.
take your time, research what's around in your area...

I'd recommend looking at '11-'12 SRT 392s - these are hitting the age where they may be traded in by original owners - or those that moved to the '15+ models. '11 was first year for 392 / 6.4 engine and with 470hp / 470tq on tap...you'll have plenty to work with.

At 5 to 6 models years old, the spread in price compared to the 5.7 R/Ts isn't that much, compared to new. The 5.7 R/Ts are good as well, but if you can make the stretch and get a well cared for 392...why not.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This is a great story. Thanks for sharing. But don't leave us hanging, man! Did you get that higher letter grade from your shop teacher or not? You deserved even more since you did it twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a great story. Thanks for sharing. But don't leave us hanging, man! Did you get that higher letter grade from your shop teacher or not? You deserved even more since you did it twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgot that little detail. Yes indeed, I got the extra letter grade higher at the end of the year. But it was a constant frustration that I had no money to buy things like bolts and springs and belts and etc. My high school dishwashing job paid 1.65 an hour and I rarely got more than 12-15 hrs per week; it took practically forever because of this. I was 17, owned a car and paid my insurance every month, but I had to walk to school all through the winter until maybe April or so. So, truth be told, I owned a muscle car (that barely ran) for like 4 days. I wish I knew then what I know now, I never would have touched that project. But it was the only time in my life that MY car had some actual horses under the hood. That 427 had some serious grunt. Guessing that car weighed less than 3,000 pounds.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds like the dream is about to become reality.

As I understand it, kids that are now in high school that are lucky, and wise enough, to take auto shop have a much different experience than we did in our generation. Unfortunately, some high schools don't offer auto shop as part of their curriculum. How sad is that?

When you do take possession of your Challenger at least you'll be able to make that generational connection that most of these young guys will miss. That almost makes it worth the wait.

If you still live in the same area and the school still exists, it sure would be neat to triumphantly take your muscle car back to that auto shop and snap a few photos.

Great story.

Best of luck,

Saetta

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
SOunds like the story I just lived.
I finally got mine.

Granted it was not a Hemi... 392, Demon... not even an SRT...

But being my daily driver it's an SXT Plus V6 and I am happier than a pig in ... well you know.

Follow the dream.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Seems like I've been dreaming most of my life. To explain, we'll have to go back a few years. High school was 69-73 for me. As you can guess, the Waterford Kettering parking lot was just chock full of muscle cars during those years. However, my part time job only afforded me a VERY used 327 Camaro. It made about 150 horsepower, maybe, on a good day. How I dreamed of having a muscle car.

The dream is born:
One day my auto shop teacher announced that if we took on a big project, like putting another motor into our own car, he'd give us one letter grade higher at the end of the year. I got thinking: wouldn't it be nice to drop a big block engine in this Camaro? Again, my dream was to own a muscle car. Since I couldn't afford one, maybe I could build one. I know, I know, it wasn't a Challenger, but bear with me. Long story short, I found a fella who wanted to trade me a big block for my small block. I finally finished the project, but my lack of funds meant there would be no alternator, windshield washer motor or mufflers... I could go on. To make matters worse, that 427 made short work of my clutch and differential, not to mention my wallet.

The dream dies:
Unfortunately, the "dream" lasted less than a week. I discovered on the third day that I was getting water in the oil. I still remember asking my auto shop teacher, "What's this tan, milky looking stuff inside my oil filler cap?" He just shook his head. Thankfully, the fella to whom I traded my original motor was willing to trade back, so I reinstalled the lowly 327 back into the car. It was sold soon enough.

The dream gets overruled:
Shortly thereafter, I took on a number of dead end low paying jobs and drove various excuses for a car until I decided to go to college. 5 more years of no money and various "practical" cars. Reliability and gas mileage had to take precedence over the dream. Then marriage and kids and other responsibilities came along, and again the dream was overruled. It's been 45 years since the dream was born. But it's a funny thing about dreams. Though they may die down, they never really go away.

The dream is reborn:
Recently some things have changed. The kids are grown, the bills are finally off my back, and there are some extra nickels coming in. And that dream? I discovered that it's alive and well. A couple months ago I was sitting at a stop light, and a challenger pulled up next to me. The sound of that thing was mesmerizing. It sure brought back some great memories of the good old days. I began reading about Challengers. My research bright me here, and I've been reading this forum for a couple months now. I decided that there's going to be a hemi in my future. Now the question is, which one? It won't be brand-new, as there are not THAT many nickels available. It may be a little while, but this decision is made.
The new Challengers are amazing. They can destroy the old cars in every respect. Pontiac Northern Husky Here! GO HUSKY! lol :wink3:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The new Challengers are amazing. They can destroy the old cars in every respect. Pontiac Northern Husky Here! GO HUSKY! lol :wink3:
Pontiac Northern? Ha... I was on the Waterford Kettering wrestling team during my sophomore year. Actually I was still on the JV team as it was my first year, but the varsity wrestler for my weight class was sick, so I got the call to "step up" for one evening. One of those Huskies provided me with some great motivation to quit wrestling for good. That guy was a gorilla dressed in black skin. He tied me in knots. I didn't know what hit me, and I was never so glad to be DONE with a wrestling match...

Gary

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Pontiac Northern? Ha... I was on the Waterford Kettering wrestling team during my sophomore year. Actually I was still on the JV team as it was my first year, but the varsity wrestler for my weight class was sick, so I got the call to "step up" for one evening. One of those Huskies provided me with some great motivation to quit wrestling for good. That guy was a gorilla dressed in black skin. He tied me in knots. I didn't know what hit me, and I was never so glad to be DONE with a wrestling match...

Gary
Funny you said that, I went a few rounds with some of our guys also. One was named Eugene Carthane. we called him "Dinky" LMAO like going into it with a bear!.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T/A 392 in Green Go. M6 with Barton shifter,
Congrats. Glad that your dream came true for you. Sounds like you got yourself a wonderful machine. Take good care of it...

I'll just have to be patient for now.

Gary

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts