Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out and about a week or so ago and I was parked under a tree. And then we had a freak thunderstorm. Now, I just discovered that I have sticky drops of stuff all over the car. I am guessing its Tree Sap. Its hard, but then when I scrap some off with my fingernail, its kind of gooey. I just tried using some Goo-Gone on it. It got rid of some, but I can't get rid of the rest. And I have already gone through a car wash and that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I have done this before.... get an ice cube and let it set on it for a while, it will harden and then you can take a plastic scraper and chip it off.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
alcohol 100% and spray wax

·
Super Moderator
15,526 Posts
Soak it with Meguires Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover. The sap will soften and will rub off without damaging your paint.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Had this happen to me recently, although I was able to get to it the very next morning. Had a TON of little sap dots... and three or four big drops on the trunk lid. (Like, dime sized!)

Went to my local car wash, and talked to the guys there... found out which cycles used hot water vs. cold. I hit her with hot and just kept rubbing my hand over the paint right behind the spray wand. Took some work, but I got it all off.

Now, if that doesn't work and/or it's too dried.. yeah... WD40 and then wash-n-wax again.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I use Spray-9 for all by bug and sap needs.. Let it sit on the area for 5 minutes or so, and then spray it off.. works wonders. No need to wax after.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ive used wd 40 also.. not as quick.. gasoline works too.. as does brake fluid (bad juju) and brake parts cleaner... any petroleum product.. wd40 is no petroleum but works well.. fastest way with least effort alcohol

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Get some GOO B GONE from your local auto parts store. Should be in a little see through bottle with yellow liquid in it. About 3 bucks. Put a little dab on a lint free cloth and work it in circles. Should break apart and come right off. No need to rewax afterwards either.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ended up taking my car to a local detailer to do an interior and exterior service on it. They had no problem removing the sap. They did an absolutely fantastic job too. When they brought the car up, it almost looked brand new. A tear came to my eye. A girl that I was hitting on said, "Now that's a lotta car". And I was like yeah, its awesome. Her demeanor totally changed when she found out it was mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts