Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if this is the right thread or even the right website, but here we go. I really like drifting around, and I just basically destroyed my stock tires in a parking lot. now I already know what new tires I want, so that’s not the issue. I just don’t know the sizes and things. like I’ve seen muscle cars with wider tires on the back, and doesn’t that help with traction? I really like the look, but is having wider tires on the back a good or bad thing for drifting? does it help with drifting? and then I wanna be able to like drive every day like I do, but I also wanna have fun with drifting as well. would normal every day driving be bad for performance tires or would it be ok? because I also don’t want some regular tires getting destroyed in a couple of weeks because of drifting. so if anybody could help me with the tread and the thickness of tires, that would help a lot. cuz I don’t know much about this right now.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm not much into the drifting world, but as I understand it, those who are serious about drifting have a serious tire budget. If that's what you plan on doing then there is no point in wasting your money on on nice tires if you're just going to smoke them off. Search your local ads and get the cheapest used tires you can find, as long as they'll fit on your wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Wow, I think this is the first drifting question we have ever had here. Like the previous post, I'm not into the drifting world either. Having said that, there is a lot you asked in your post, so I'll give my thoughts. Wider tires on the back are a good thing. The problem is, you have 8" wide rims. So do you plan to buy wider rims? Normal everyday driving is fine for performance tires, but if you live where it gets below 40*, that might be a problem as they get hard as a rock. If you are drifting a lot, whatever tires you buy aren't long for this world.

I was at Carlisle Pa. this last summer for the Chrysler Nationals. They had a race course where you could get to ride in a Wide-Bodied Challenger. It was basically drifting, where all you heard were tires screaming. The maintenance schedule was to change the rear tires every hour. :eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don’t know if this is the right thread or even the right website, but here we go. I really like drifting around, and I just basically destroyed my stock tires in a parking lot. now I already know what new tires I want, so that’s not the issue. I just don’t know the sizes and things. like I’ve seen muscle cars with wider tires on the back, and doesn’t that help with traction? I really like the look, but is having wider tires on the back a good or bad thing for drifting? does it help with drifting? and then I wanna be able to like drive every day like I do, but I also wanna have fun with drifting as well. would normal every day driving be bad for performance tires or would it be ok? because I also don’t want some regular tires getting destroyed in a couple of weeks because of drifting. so if anybody could help me with the tread and the thickness of tires, that would help a lot. cuz I don’t know much about this right now.
A wider will help but drifting your gonna destroy tires every time. A thicker tread will help tbh im not sure if you can find a setup on a challenger for this though. If your gonna play with the car stay cheap and by used for small tire shops and buy a good set for ur actual driving.

drive safe man dont wanna hear about u curb checking ur car and snapping an axle

·
Registered
72 Posts
this site may help you find tires and maybe a size that fits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I watch this guy from time to time. Quite impressive.
I have nothing to add to the conversation. But i figured you might enjoy the watch.

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
would start with a bigger engine, drift cars have serious hps

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Still need grip while drifting, cheaper tires would be the way to go if you’re just fooling around.

Better stickier tires will help control but you need the power to be able to drive it and brake traction, in 2nd gear too sometimes

Is this for fun or for competition?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts