Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been giving a fair amount of thought to the fact that we love modifying these great cars. Some start off mild with a cold air intake or a catch can or perhaps a canned tune from a Predator, and some take their rides with less than 500 miles and drop a blower on them and/or forge and stroke the motor. We then post up about how they sound and all these magnificent dyno sheets and time slips. All great stuff and I enjoy it as much as anyone.

BUT, why don't we post up more regarding how drivable the car is after modifications? Shouldn't one of the primary elements of a post about a modification or a full blown build be how well the car starts, idles, leaves the light and all the stuff all the way to full tilt? Feels like we leave this part out too often and I think it's what 99% of the Challenger population is looking for. Great looks, handling, speed and yep....drivability.

It's the sign of a truly great tuner that can deliver neck breaking speed and leave you with a car that starts at the first push of the button and that you can take through a school zone w/o worrying about going sideways. And with that same tune let you run it at supercar speeds. I consider myself fortunate to have gotten that from build. I run to the grocery store with the same tune that I run the Texas Mile and take to the strip. Thanks, A.J. and Arrington:thumbsup:

HemiSam

·
Banned
484 Posts
Ur right Sam. I would like to know the everyday drivability of the different builds u guys have. Would be real nice to know the differences on builds and tunes before i start anykind of build.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
I'll start it off.

No mods, bone stock...............................and the "driveability" was a major factor in the purchase of my RT. It is outstanding under any street/highway/Interstate situation. MDS just adds to the fuel savings under street "cruising", and I like that too.

Of course, the looks of the "DY" and the RT "Classic" combo were "the" selling point.

Any mods would have to be as good as this to even think about. This car is a treat to drive......................"From Hank to Hendrix"

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
My Chally is still stock, but when I ha a '05 Magnum, RT; I had FRI heads, cam, full SRT exhaust, Airhammer CAI, and a B&G flashed PCM. It was a bear at first. It didn't idle high enough until the engine got to operating temp. I'd start it, back out of the driveway; and it would die. The ESP didn't seem to be able to handle the extra power either; it would spin the tires a lot, even when on (Not that that a bad thing). Tis was 4 years ago; before most CMR tunes were available. It would also go into "Limp" mode whenever I'd try a burnout. It never did before the mods. I played Hell trying to get it inspected because my county has emissions testing and they hook up to the diagnostic port under the dash. It showed an over speed condition and one you get with a lower rated thermostat. Nothing to do with emissions, but they wouldn't go any further with the inspection. I eventually traded it in on a '08 Caliber SRT-4. That little sucker would do 90 in 3rd; and I had 3 more gears to go.

·
Banned
804 Posts
My Chally is still stock, but when I ha a '05 Magnum, RT; I had FRI heads, cam, full SRT exhaust, Airhammer CAI, and a B&G flashed PCM. It was a bear at first. It didn't idle high enough until the engine got to operating temp. I'd start it, back out of the driveway; and it would die. The ESP didn't seem to be able to handle the extra power either; it would spin the tires a lot, even when on (Not that that a bad thing). Tis was 4 years ago; before most CMR tunes were available. It would also go into "Limp" mode whenever I'd try a burnout. It never did before the mods. I played Hell trying to get it inspected because my county has emissions testing and they hook up to the diagnostic port under the dash. It showed an over speed condition and one you get with a lower rated thermostat. Nothing to do with emissions, but they wouldn't go any further with the inspection. I eventually traded it in on a '08 Caliber SRT-4. That little sucker would do 90 in 3rd; and I had 3 more gears to go.
Before most? Before any CMR tunes were available......all we had back then were B&G PCM flashes that you had to constantly send the PCM out for revisions and they were ridiculously priced. You can't complain about what you had with no tune. And the combo you had then is considered entry level now and will run on no more than a Predator CAI 93 tune with some fuel and idle.

Running a 426 with a crazy cam and a 4400 stall and I daily drive the car to work. Car weighs 4400#'s in race trim and goes very low 11's. It is very driveable but gets a little cranky in reverse from time to time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The term "streetable" gets used often in posts and it would be interesting to hear what folks think that means to them.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,918 Posts
Great idea Sam :)
I will drive the car anywhere if it doesn't pertain to racing it's seems I keep finding the weakest link. I have driven the car down to Valdosta GA on the way back it was 14 hours and it's only stops were for fuel twice. Since the forged motor was done she has almost 8,000 miles which have been trouble free. :)
She starts and idles perfect and runs strong we'll see how well she does in March as I'm taking her cross country to Spring Fest 6, part of the way will be on trailer as I won't drive it in the salt and with summer performance tires cold roads are dangerous and the USW wheels cost way too much to ruin.

Provided you have the proper tune you can go any place also you need to make sure you have good fuel. I have 2 tunes for the car one is for racing and the other is for daily driving on my DD tune I'm sitting at 546 rwhp with the 6.0L stroker and averaging almost 25 mpg on the highway down almost 3 mpg from the stock 5.7L and turbo configuration which was at 489 rwhp. For me I couldn't be happier with the overall car.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
My drive-ability sucks at the moment. It wont hardly start and dies 80% of the time when I come to a stop. I need a tune bad, but it's all stored away till spring. I did go get it running a week ago and data logged as much as I could trying to keep it idling. Now I can't find my high price cord to hook to my laptop:disgust:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I have the mods done listed below and use my SRT8 as a daily driver. The main thing concerning drivability is trying to maintain traction in first gear on the street. Even in stock form, the traction control helps, however, you can still bust the tires loose.

It would be nice not having to feather the throttle during daily driving.

·
Banned
1,655 Posts
My drive-ability sucks at the moment. It wont hardly start and dies 80% of the time when I come to a stop. I need a tune bad, but it's all stored away till spring. I did go get it running a week ago and data logged as much as I could trying to keep it idling. Now I can't find my high price cord to hook to my laptop:disgust:
Hey Boatman, p.m. sent

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok, I'll fill in as well...I know your looking for build comparisons (see slight mods below) but I wanted to chime in on the (mostly) stock attributes...daily driver for me, slightly off rush hours and lunchtimes mostly and the car is by far the nicest and coolest car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. It excels in ANY driving situation wether it be rush hour (ugh), stoplight to stoplight or 70 mph freeway on cruise control. I must add that the clutch can be a little persnikety at times but not enough that it takes anything away from the experience. When the tires break loose (or should I say when I break them loose) in the corners the car flattens out like a cat falling off a roof-just beautiful. And its a ball in the rain! TOC member here-went on a cruise out in the country with some fellow members recently, a rather "spirited" drive to say the least- it was the most fun I have ever had in a car (ummm, driving a car) and was able to test all the attributes my Challenger boasts. Spot on acceleration, smooth shifting (which improved as the day progressed), solid to perfect braking which never faded in the switchbacks (and trust me when I tell you we were pushing it) and over the top handling, absolutely the fullest driving experience I could have imagined. As you can tell, I am very pleased with the "driveability" of my car even at the stock level and can only imagine what it can do with a little "TLC" (and by that I mean...mods!) I feel it is the best car purchase I have ever made by far. Predator tune happening shortly, then a custom tune to open 'er up!
Rock on fellow Challenger owners, and enjoy ownership of one of the finest cars on the road today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have FRI street/strip heads and scud cam with a cmr tune and mopar cia. on a 09 srt 6-speed.

It starts first time everytime regardless of the temp,albeit it seldoms falls below 30 degrees for any lenght of time. The idle is just right, it is a ground thumping beast, stock exhust. You can drive it as soft as you want or wot. There is no diffrence from pre-mod, aside from the ground thump and abilility to get to the legaly posted speed limit before you now it.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Before most? Before any CMR tunes were available......all we had back then were B&G PCM flashes that you had to constantly send the PCM out for revisions and they were ridiculously priced. You can't complain about what you had with no tune. And the combo you had then is considered entry level now and will run on no more than a Predator CAI 93 tune with some fuel and idle.

Running a 426 with a crazy cam and a 4400 stall and I daily drive the car to work. Car weighs 4400#'s in race trim and goes very low 11's. It is very driveable but gets a little cranky in reverse from time to time.
I forgot to say I also had a Superchips tune. All it really did was eliminate the speed limiter and optimize shifting. If I had it in Autostick; it wouldn't shift until I did. My new one shifts at 5500 RPM, regardless.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Very mildly modded with a CAI and Mopar cat back. Other than the sound, it's still as driveable as stock.

Where it falls down a bit now is rear passenger comfort on the highway because it's loud back there. With passengers I'm somewhat relegated to either 70 mph or 90 mph based on sound. 80 mph uphill is bothersome.

From the driver's seat, it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Good post. What a lot of folks don't realize is that even with 425 crank hp, the tires slip like mad on damp pavement. When you go 100 or more hp beyond that, you need dang near perfect traction and a rolling start to use most of that power.

Very heavy engine mods (significant boost) most certainly demand suspension and tire changes; often including rim width in order to take reasonable advantage of huge power gains.

Another thought- it gets tiring when the machine is a rodeo each and every minute you're in it. I had a hopped up FZ1 and you had to be really mindful at all times with that thing. There were times I just didn't feel like riding it because it required all of my mental focus. I was as tired mentally as physically after an hour with that thing.

In summary, it's why I'm purchasing a nitrous kit. Total drivability when I don't need it, which, frankly, is 97% of the time. And when I do want to put the hammer down, the conditions are right, plausible deniability and all that-- then you have the full ride.

Great thread Sam-

·
Registered
389 Posts
My SRT is a daily driver - lucky in that I've no traffic - nice highway or deserted (and well maintained ) backroads to/from work - so I enjoy driving the car all the time. I did some basic performance mods just to optimize slightly over stock - CAI, Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, catch-can, front tower brace (that really flattened cornering out on the backroads I drive), and a Predator canned tune (93 octane/CAI). Really love what these mods provided over stock, and makes the car even more fun to drive for my application. Other than adding a 180* thermostat, I'm done on the performance mods and quite happy with the results - pulls just a little stronger, exhaust note a little deeper/aggressive, gets a hair better gas mileage, and I still enjoy as much control, comfort and daily driveability as it was stock.

I did some appearance mods too (aftermarket wheels, some interior upgrades and engine bay billet parts) - but those obviously have no effect on performance or driveability - but I do like the looks of those little additions over stock.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Excellent post idea Sammy.

Since Sam and I have near identical builds it's no surprise I have similar comments. My car is nearly like stock in all aspects until you press the accelerator down past half way.

In summer 95 degrees out it fired up first push of the button. Now that it's winter even when it was 20 degrees out it fired up first push of the button.

The acceleration is smooth and the car drives absolutely normal, shifts smooth (6 speed), and idles like stock with just a hint of lope from the baby cam it has. It has the normal blower sounds, and there's a hint of whine from the twin Fore fuel hat with dual Walbro GSS340 fuel pumps, but other than that nothing odd at all. With the radio on about 8 or 10 I don't hear any of that.

I've not even found the need to turn ESP off thus far. A.J. turned down the TC intervention enough that the car is plenty fun to drive with it on for the street. The only time I've felt it intervene is when the back end steps out 2 or 3 feet. I can spin the tires A LOT with it on.

The only time I have to really pay attention is when I start to press the throttle down past 50%. At that point things start to happen pretty quick and in 1st 2nd or 3rd the back end will fish tail a bit and I find I have to counter steer to keep it going straight. However, I know that's gonna happen and expect and enjoy it. It's 550RWHP so I'd have been disappointed had that not been the case.

I can drive to the track, make 3-4 passes down the 1/4 mile and drive home and average 22MPG. Around town stop and go traffic I average 17-18MPG.

I have SRT8 manifolds and mid pipes with cats installed. It should pass emissions no problem. I'll find out next month for sure, but all O2 sensors are active and I get no CELs what so ever.

The exhaust sounds awesome and doesn't drone in the car (Magnaflow Competition).

The ride is firm but not jarring, and the handling is excellent (Eibach Pro Kit).

The shifts are smooth but positive (Hurst shifter).

I love this car.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My SRT is bone stock with the exception of a 180* stat and a Magnuson SC. It seems to crank quite a bit more than did before starting. It has never failed to start or stalled under any circumstance. At 50mph, if I nail it, it drops down to first gear and gets downright wild! I don't even think about getting rowdy with it if the streets are wet. Like some above have mentioned, it can be driven granny style, but more than 40-50% throttle, you'd better hang on, because you are going for the ride of your life! LOL It idles good, and drives good, but you do have to be aware of what you are driving or you will get into trouble with it. For my type of mixed driving, I used to average about 17 mpg, but now that has dropped to about 12 mpg. Believe it or not, I used to do WOT throttle a lot more stock than I do now. There is no need to go WOT to get the same or better thrill than I did stock. I love it and would never go back! And yes, it is a daily driver, rain, snow, and sun.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts