Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had some time to go through my manuals. I know the Sport Mode in a MT car only adjusts steering, suspension and traction. I also that when in Sport Mode the Skip Shift function is disabled. Couple of weeks ago I was looking into a Skip Shift Eliminator, which means I am not interested in any fuel savings that may be associated with the Skip Shift function. So, if I am happy with being in Sport Mode (steering, suspension, traction), there's no need to ever be in Street Mode (where Skip Shift is activated) and have to deal with a Skip Shift Eliminator.

Is this reasoning correct?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi from Escondido.

I'll agree with that. I've had my R/T manual for a few months now and I normally drive it in sport mode so I've never experienced the skip shift. For me, I find the shifting much more responsive and smoother in Sport. I also have my steering set to sport and like its responsiveness. I have a feeling that the skip shift is there to pass a fuel economy certification, but it doesn't seem that it would really save much on gas for the amount of time spent in 3rd gear and the narrow parameters when its active.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another mode-related question. When moving to Sport to Street mode, fuel mileage is supposed to be impacted by the Skip Shift function. Do other engine-related changes occur when moving over to Street that are supposed to impact MPG?

·
Registered
116 Posts
2017 and later with active exhaust....sport mode seems to be a bit louder and likely tweeks the valves open slightly from what I can tell. At highway speed with cruise on it seems to quiet down slightly when disengaged but you really have to listen closely.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I can't think of anyone that would use the scheme of shifting from 1st > 4th at 21mph, unless you're going downhill...

Even on a level street, you'd be lugging the engine shifting that low; and no one would drive like that.

You could install the eliminator and just have it in case you didn't engage Sport mode.

Reactions: Ohgeez

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Understand. I'm just curious as to whether Street mode changes anything other than the shifting.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
And on my 2016, sport mode doesn’t turn off that wretched feature. It’s truly one of the dumbest things I’ve seen on a car. I need to get that eliminator installed. Just have to find a lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
2,987 Posts
I have not driven a Challenger with the 6-speed and experienced the skip shift feature first hand.

But my 2001 Camaro came with this. In 2001 there was no sport mode. I quickly adapted a driving style that "eliminated" this feature, in that due to my driving style it seldom was triggered.

The next time I encountered this skip shift feature was with my 2006 GTO. As was the case in 2001 the GTO had no "sport "mode". I bought a Predator tool and used it to disable the skip shift feature.

If you can't find a suitable driving technique to avoid triggering this skip shift feature then you will I guess have to rely upon sport mode or see if there is the Dodge equivalent to the GM Predator tool and get it and use this to disable skip shift.

·
Registered
588 Posts
And on my 2016, sport mode doesn’t turn off that wretched feature. It’s truly one of the dumbest things I’ve seen on a car. I need to get that eliminator installed. Just have to find a lift.

If you have ramps, that would work. I didn't use a lift and it only took me 5 minutes to install. Probably the best $20 I've spent on this car.

Living in the city with bumper-to-bumper traffic, that stupid feature caught me a few times. It feels so much better not having to worry about this anymore.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you have ramps, that would work. I didn't use a lift and it only took me 5 minutes to install. Probably the best $20 I've spent on this car.

Living in the city with bumper-to-bumper traffic, that stupid feature caught me a few times. It feels so much better not having to worry about this anymore.

I’m with you. Skip shift and city traffic don’t go well together.
My ramps must have an unusual angle to them because I can’t get the front spoiler to clear them. Even trying it with the rear wheels posed clearance issues. I’ll get ‘er done one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Understand. I'm just curious as to whether Street mode changes anything other than the shifting.
Normal mode vs. Sport mode - the throttle response is turned up - probably by 20 - 25%.

When I had my '09 R/T (cam & tune) I could turn the throttle response up (variable) and anything greater than 25% was too aggressive for the street (very touchy throttle) - this was on an M6.

The most cost effective means to eliminate skip shift is buy the dongle for $15 - 20.

A hand held tuner on any '15+ requires an unlocked PCM + tuner. That's a very expensive proposition for an otherwise stock engine. Its $700 - $900 from least expensive hand-held to more expensive.
-Plus when swapping out PCM, you have to do a throttle re-learn...more $$ for the dealer to do this.
and you may get flagged for warranty since if the dealer works on the car and tries to do PCM updates - it will catch the modified PCM.

While you can engage Sport mode on a '17+, you have to remember to do that on each start-up.

If you forget and you're driving around and guess what? Skip shift catches you when you don't want it too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I installed the skip shift eliminator on my '12 R/T at the same time I removed the hydraulic clutch check valve, easy to do since I have good ramps to use, took a whole 10 minutes for both items and another 5 minutes of pedal pumping(about 200 pumps) to bleed the hydraulic clutch system. Car shifts better and no more 1-4 skip-shift to mess up your driving. It is even more of a pleasure to drive my car now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts