Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some old threads but was wondering what the current new consensus is about ramps. I just changed my oil, and used my 40 year old steel ramps. They were way too steep for the chin spoiler, so I laid down some bricks and drove up on those first, then the leading ramp edge. While it worked well, I don't intend to do that again, plus they really are a bit narrow for my 275s.
They are these ones I got a Montgomery Ward in 1980 or so.

I probably have had 30 different cars on them, and still prefer them for things with decent approach angles. Nice height, and with removeable ramp, you can get under the car great.
BUT I need something longer/wider now.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Check out Rhino Ramps, the low profile ramps. The chin spoiler might still not clear. I bought some 12" wide 2" thick boards to lay down ahead of the ramps to ease the nose of my Hellcat up. Have not yet used the ramps to change the oil but one of these days when I resume servicing my own cars I will.

Or if my plans work out and I end up buying a house to live in after I retire I'll get a portable lift.

But with other cars I used Rhino Ramps a number of times for getting the front (or rear for mid-engine or rear engine cars) in the air for an oil change.

Oh, I have seen references to "race" ramps and I have seen pics, too, and I recall race ramps are longer and intended for lower ground clearance cars to ease up on. You might search for race ramps to see what's available.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I use a set of low profile plastic ramps. Bought them back in the mid 90's and still work great.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Check out Rhino Ramps, the low profile ramps. The chin spoiler might still not clear. I bought some 12" wide 2" thick boards to lay down ahead of the ramps to ease the nose of my Hellcat up. Have not yet used the ramps to change the oil but one of these days when I resume servicing my own cars I will.

Or if my plans work out and I end up buying a house to live in after I retire I'll get a portable lift.

But with other cars I used Rhino Ramps a number of times for getting the front (or rear for mid-engine or rear engine cars) in the air for an oil change.

Oh, I have seen references to "race" ramps and I have seen pics, too, and I recall race ramps are longer and intended for lower ground clearance cars to ease up on. You might search for race ramps to see what's available.
I have a Rhino Ramps and just have two pieces of 2x10 2' long that I place in front and works great.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I had a friend build a pair of ramps using 2"x12" boards. He simply put shorter ones on top of each other until he had the height he wanted. You can adjust the length of the boards so the incline angle handles the spoiler without issue. Attach a vertical piece at the forward end that extends enough to act as a tire stop to prevent going too far forward.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Race Ramps are a good product.

Can't remember the model/part number, but it was a stock cataloged item.

Been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Race Ramps. There is a vendor on another forum who can help you piece your set together based on your specific car and needs. PM me if you're interested and I can look it up.

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
569 Posts
Those race ramps are sweeeeeeeet....but I guess I’ll be sticking with my Lowe’s Ramps.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,425 Posts
Or Nuke Ramps

A Guy

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have a Rhino Ramps and just have two pieces of 2x10 2' long that I place in front and works great.
Rhino Ramps and two pieces of 2" x 10" 2' long boards is exactly what I have, as well.

Thought about the race ramps but I have no place to store these at the house. The Rhino Ramps store well upright in the walk in closet at my place.

They are light enough for me to carry both and fit in the trunk of my Hellcat or the back of my MINI JCW. (Right now if I want to change the oil in my cars I have to do this at the office in the receive bay so I have to carry the ramps, tools, drain pain, oil, filter, etc., in the car.)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I may just make a set. Those Race Ramps are too damn expensive, and they are foam, right? So nice solid wood should be great. I remember a nice idea on how to make a set, and with removeable ramps, basically all the boards are on their sides sandwiched together and you use a hasp to connect the ramps, but I like how Race Ramps interlock, I may go that route.
I'll look into the Rhino ones as well. I guess I could make some new longer ramps for the ones I have now, keep the stand part, just replace the removable long part with something longer, but they are still narrow.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,224 Posts
I think I may just make a set. Those Race Ramps are too damn expensive, and they are foam, right? So nice solid wood should be great. I remember a nice idea on how to make a set, and with removeable ramps, basically all the boards are on their sides sandwiched together and you use a hasp to connect the ramps, but I like how Race Ramps interlock, I may go that route.
I'll look into the Rhino ones as well. I guess I could make some new longer ramps for the ones I have now, keep the stand part, just replace the removable long part with something longer, but they are still narrow.
I hear you on the price of Race Ramps; that's what drove me initially to build my own...but after a couple of times lugging all that wood in and out of the basement (no room in garage to store), I bit the bullet and bought the Race Ramps, 65" and haven't looked back.

Don't let the foam fool you; I've done drive shaft loop installs, differential brace installs, oil changes all underneath the car on the ramps with no issues or concerns, and the light foam makes hauling to/from basement a breeze.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Agree with many of you; Race Ramps are the way to go. Just a bit pricey. They handle the wider tires on my Widebody, and being able to slide out the first sections allows for plenty of room under the car.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear you on the price of Race Ramps; that's what drove me initially to build my own...but after a couple of times lugging all that wood in and out of the basement (no room in garage to store), I bit the bullet and bought the Race Ramps, 65" and haven't looked back.

Don't let the foam fool you; I've done drive shaft loop installs, differential brace installs, oil changes all underneath the car on the ramps with no issues or concerns, and the light foam makes hauling to/from basement a breeze.
Yeah, I know, but $300 could go to that set of sidepipes you made ;-) (it was you wasn't it?)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Race Ramps last forever. Great product.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts