Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but here goes... 2012 Challenger RT, v8, 5.7L with 78,000 miles. Automatic transmission.

The drive shaft disconnected from the output shaft. Not sure how it happened since I don’t take it out to the track. I do normal Challenger wear and tear (a few burn outs to impress a date, flooring the accelerator to get up to freeway speed, etc). Thankfully the DS went out on a surface street and was able to get out of harms way easily.

When it occurred: I had turned right onto a street and then I pressed the accelerator and the engine just revved. I pulled over, shifted into park, then back into drive and same thing: revving without accelerating. Same thing in reverse Then had it towed to a mechanic. The kicker was that I had to wait EIGHT working days for the part to arrive. I called another mechanic shop to confirm price (same price) and they also confirmed an eight day lead time. The mechanic had to replace the drive shaft (Mopar) and flange for $1300 in parts and labor.

I didn’t find anything online about there being a recall or this being a common issue with Challengers. Everyone I spoke to were just as confused as I was when I told them what happened.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,004 Posts
You mean the halfshaft popped out from the diff or the propshaft failed at the output shaft of the trans. I have heard of guys having halfshafts pop out but propshafts falling out no. On the pre-2015 the prop shaft used a grommet between the shaft and flanges which I have heard usually fail over time but before the sh!t the bed the tend to generate a lot of vibes.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
Not sure if anyone else has had this issue but here goes... 2012 Challenger RT, v8, 5.7L with 78,000 miles. Automatic transmission.

The drive shaft disconnected from the output shaft. Not sure how it happened since I don’t take it out to the track. I do normal Challenger wear and tear (a few burn outs to impress a date, flooring the accelerator to get up to freeway speed, etc). Thankfully the DS went out on a surface street and was able to get out of harms way easily.

When it occurred: I had turned right onto a street and then I pressed the accelerator and the engine just revved. I pulled over, shifted into park, then back into drive and same thing: revving without accelerating. Same thing in reverse Then had it towed to a mechanic. The kicker was that I had to wait EIGHT working days for the part to arrive. I called another mechanic shop to confirm price (same price) and they also confirmed an eight day lead time. The mechanic had to replace the drive shaft (Mopar) and flange for $1300 in parts and labor.

I didn’t find anything online about there being a recall or this being a common issue with Challengers. Everyone I spoke to were just as confused as I was when I told them what happened.
I regret to hear of this happening with your Challenger, PoptheCork. If you are still experiencing concerns of this nature, please send me a private message. I would be happy to look in to this further.

Kate
DodgeCares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean the halfshaft popped out from the diff or the propshaft failed at the output shaft of the trans. I have heard of guys having halfshafts pop out but propshafts falling out no. On the pre-2015 the prop shaft used a grommet between the shaft and flanges which I have heard usually fail over time but before the sh!t the bed the tend to generate a lot of vibes.
I guess [shrug]... I'm not sure I have (had) the correct verbage, but that's what the mechanic told me. Haha. The mechanic wasn't to sure how it happened and suggested maybe a bolt/nut/something came lose and over time it just popped off and got disconnected. I was too far from a dealership to get it worked on there, so I had to rely on Yelp reviews and a friend recommendation for the repair shop. It's running fine right now so we'll see how it goes from here on out.

I appreciate your knowledge as this was uncharted territory for me because in all my years of driving (25+years), I've never had a drive shaft problem.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,558 Posts
This has happened to me twice now, once each on two separate transmissions.

The pinion flange backs off the trans output shaft, effectively severing the connection between transmission and rear end.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Nuke....was there any "warning"...noises, etc?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,558 Posts
Now that you mention it, I think there was, although I’m not sure the two were connected.

I had started to hear a faint clunking sound from underneath the car behind me somewhere, and it was only occurring (or could be heard) when slowly coming to a stop.

Every downshift during the coasting down to 0mph would result in a faint clunk. I tried shifting into neutral to come to a stop without any downshifts, and that would result in no clunking.

It did that for quite a while though before breaking down on me, so if the noise was tied to it, there was plenty of forewarning. I thought it was the rear shock mounts and ended up changing the rear shocks twice, and rear shock mounts once (each on a separate occasion) trying to quieten the clunk.

I can’t say that clunking was definitely tied to the pinion flange nut backing off the output shaft, but the clunking noise was like that of a metal on metal collision underneath the rear seat, which the yolk slopping around from a loose nut holding it on would qualify as.

I can say that both times the output shaft came completely loose, I traversed some railroad tracks and heard no noises. But immediately afterward the car did not do anything but rev the engine when throttle was applied. So I had to boast to a stop and try to get out if others’ way.

·
Registered
687 Posts
As always....good info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts