Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT8
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post this sooner, but life got in the way.
2012 RTC, No Mods, 20k miles, Broken Drive shaft bolts at the pinion gear.
While driving from Sherman to Dallas TX about 9:30pm cruising around 78-80 mph I heard an audible pop from the rear end and began to get a lot of vibrations in the cab. I pulled into the McKinney dealership left a detailed report on what happened and turn in my keys at the service drop box. Car was driveable under 30 mph anything over that and the vibration would start to kick in. Wife came to pick me up. Dealer found the problem during the first days diagnose after which it took two days to get the right replacement parts. Here’s what they found, one of the bolts holding the back of the drive shaft to the pinion gear had been sheared off which in turn caused the shaft to spin out of alignment leading to the vibrations. Dealer replaced all drive shaft bolts and nuts and flagged the sheared bolt and original bolts and nuts to be sent to Chrysler for inspection. I just wanted to let everyone know about my issue in case you experience this yourself. Car has been great since the repair I've put 2k miles on her without any issue. I just wanted everyone to be warned….

I don’t baby my car, but I also don’t thrash it as it is my DD. I love driving it hard occasionally which I’m sure we all do from time to time just to be reminded that the HEMI’s there should we need it’s service.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have just over 23k miles on my '12RT. Mine is a manual too.
I had a slight vibration in mine, but recently got new shoes on her and found out I have a bent rim, but don't recall an event that would have caused it.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Nice to see that it worked out well for you in the end! Thanks for sharing. I am sure this thread is going to be helpful to any member who might face this unfortunate issue in the future.

·
Registered
2015 SRT8
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is not the M6 I have an A5, one thing I didn't mention was all work was covered under warranty. As much as I don't like dealerships I have to say McKinney's service department handled everything very well and professional. They fixed my issue and kept me informed on there progress until it was time to pick her up. I also had new shoes on my car and while it was getting the driveshaft fixed I had them rotate the tires. The car drove better after I picked it up then before I had the DS issue. I would give them an above average rating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts